Emlyn

So what are the possible locations the caps are looking at besides burnaby lake? Paul Barber said they are looking for something within close proximity to the airport. I noticed on google earth that there is a huge piece of undeveloped land on the north shore of the Fraser between the Canada line bridge and Oak st. bridge(bottom of heather st.) Anyone know what this land is for(i'm assuming it's zoned for industry) or who owns it? It's been vacant for ages. It seems to me that it would be a perfect location for the caps' facility(within the city so it's close, relatively, to the downtown stadium and it's basically five minutes from the airport)

any other potential sites? (I think i heard about richmond and of course Delta but I believe that deal is dead.)

The Heather St. location is zoned M-2 (industrial or other uses that are general incompatible or dangerous when situated near residential areas). It is privately owned by Concert Properties (http://www.concertproperties.com/database/rte/02%206-2007%20BIV%20-%20Concert%20Increasingly%20Industrial(1).pdf). Even if the landowners wanted to do a deal with the Whitecaps, I wouldn't count on the current city council helping it along. As the site was formerly a mill, it probably also needs some enviro rehab.

I figured it would be something like that. Another potential place would be the false creek flats. Though I doubt the city would let that go. I think the caps should just build their stadium on the false creek flats. I seem to remember Gregor Robertson suggesting that as a possible location for a stadium should the waterfront stadium fall through. They could maybe attach a training facility to the stadium. There really isn't that much space in vancouver to build a facility this size.

I suggest building up an existing facility which is near the skytrain. A couple options being Burnaby Lake, as mentioned, and Percy Perry in Coquitlam. Newton Athletic could certainly host a decent facility but is not close to skytrain in Surrey. Any of these communities would bend over backward to accommodate a facility run and maintained by the Caps - especially with the HPL coming through. I can imagine the opp's!

There's no Skytrain anywhere near Percy Perry in Coquitlam either - at least not for some years. All the facilities you mention are well developed, city owned public parks. I doubt very much that any of the city councils would consider handing them over to the Whitecaps and I don't think the citizens would be too happy either. Best option for the 'Caps is to start from scratch, or almost scratch as was the case with the Delta location they were interested in but were refused by the city.

My main point is that Coquitlam Town Centre is very well developed already and is an established community facility in an urban setting whereas the Delta location comprises two crappy fields and a minimal changeroom toilet structure in the middle of nowhere on the edge of an agricultural area. There is no comparison with Coquitlam Town Centre. I can't see any municipality being willing to turn over established facilities such as Coquitlam Town Centre or Burnaby Lake to the Whitecaps even if it might mean new FieldTurf and additional structures. The 'Caps best choice is to keep searching for vacant land and build from scratch as would have been the case at Green Timbers Park in Surrey. There is still some land available in Whalley around Surrey City Central/Gateway Skytrain stations but the city may well already have other plans for that land as part of the Surrey Central City development program currently underway.

What about right near the Lions practice field.

There is a good amount of space there that could be used and at the moment, and at the moment most of it is empty lot hooker/homeless havens.

wouldn't be a bad idea to displace them anyways from that little area. You have 3 close Skytrains, and a neighboring professional team's training facility.

There isn't any room there. I worked down there for 3 years and couldn't picture the room you are referring to. So I went and checked google maps. The fields there are in use. Baseball, BC Lions, and a lone turf soccer field. What area are you referring to? In theory, I am in support, but really the best place must be Burnaby?

That lone AT field adjacent to the BC Lions practice field in Surrey City Centre is Tom Binnie Park. I agree, fitting in a facility such as I imagine the Whitecaps envision may be difficult there too and the City of Surrey would probably prefer to see commercial and residential in-filling around the Skytrain stations, not more sports fields. That's been the trend elsewhere along the Skytrain lines, especially as just across the Skytrain tracks is the big Whalley Baseball complex. Can't see the city giving up any of that either.

There isn't a hope in hell that this gets built anywhere close to DT. I highly doubt that any sites in Vancouver proper are under consideration. If they can't get a stadium zoned in the city, they sure as hell aren't get a plot of land big enough to house their training complex zoned for it, even if they were willing to foot the enormous cost of the land to build within Vancouver.

what about the plot of land next to the train station on terminal ave,.

as I said earlier in this thread I seem to remember Gregor Robertson mentioning the false creek flats as a potential stadium site if the waterfront fell through. maybe there is a chance. . .well actually probably not.

what they should do is build their stadium there and attach a training facility to it! they could train on the stadium pitch most of the time so they might only need like one extra field. am I crazy?

Archived