A soccer career in Canada.

andrew.

Morning all, been lurking here for a bit and signed up today. This is just a hypothetical question, out of nothing but sheer curiosity, so I'd appreciate anyone just sharing any advice. It's a bit lengthy, so I also commend anyone daring enough to read all of it.

I'm 19 years old, turning 20 on the last day of April, 2011. I loved playing soccer when I was younger, but for various boring reasons I never played in any youth leagues, just kicking a ball around at recess, after school, that sort of thing.

Being this age, it's hard not to become pretty consumed with wondering about your future. For the last few years I've toyed with the idea of joining amateur leagues and whatnot, and occasionally enjoyed vague daydreams of a possible career as a footballer - nothing too amazing, just thoughts of being a footballer, the kind everyone has sometimes.

But ever since I was 16, I've just told myself I was too old. Told myself that anyone that wants their job in life to be playing football learned to stepover before they learned to walk. It's a bit depressing, really, to watch a Premier League match and some of the players are younger than you. Tonight, though, I found myself looking a list of the players eligible for the MLS Superdraft this year, and some of them are five (!) years older than me. This has got me thinking.

Naturally, any chump that's never played competitive soccer growing up can delude himself into thinking that three months before his 20th birthday there's still a chance he could be a professional footballer someday. That's not what I'm trying to say. What I'm wondering is, if you were in my shoes, and for the sake of argument you were so driven you would let nothing stand in your way of becoming a pro footballer and also for the sake of argument, you were a skilled enough player to reasonably expect attention if you were in the shop window so to speak, what would be the steps you would take?

I live in Hamilton, Ontario. I've got two semesters of high school left, and for as far back as I can remember, I've had no ambitions of going to college until my mid-20s, except for a small voice in the back of my head that wonders what if I played soccer in my final year of high school? What if I made the school team and I won the city/country/whatever championship with them? Or what if I played college soccer? What if I, in short, starting playing soccer at age 20, and I was genuinely good enough to play in a professional league here, or in the United States?

I hope anyone reading this can forgive my ignorance on the subject, I really don't know how one becomes a footballer in this country. I just know that I will do whatever it takes to avoid being 25 years old and wondering what could've been. I would not be able to look myself in the mirror five years from now if I didn't at least try. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't explore my options, however unlikely they may be.

So, my question is, what would you do if you were me? I haven't got my head in the clouds, I'm being realistic about all of this, but it can't hurt to ask. I'll try to be as clear as I can - I have no intention of playing in an amateur league. I want to play somewhere where there is the possibility of advancement - be it to a league above, or to a new league all together, in or out of the country. I don't know all the pro leagues off by heart in Canada, but I want to (still hypothetically, here) put myself into a position where I could be considered a professional footballer. I don't want to go to college or uni and play football and then when I graduate, that be the end of it (if I wasn't good enough for consideration by a pro team, that would be fine, I mean I don't want to have a dead-end 'career' playing somewhere that no one will ever notice you). It wouldn't be worth it, to me, to play in a league where no one is ever transferred to other leagues or signed to teams in other leagues. It's not a lack of love for the game, because I really do love the game, but sitting here right now I have no will to play goalkeeper for a team while working full-time flipping burgers. I'd do that if I was playing in a league where the cream of the crop, the best players in the league, occasionally catch the eyes of scouts, but I wouldn't want to do that if there was no hope, however small, of being able to play football for a living, even if it's the same pay-wise as a working at McDonald's would be.

For the sake of argument, let's say I want to play in the MLS or the NASL one day. How would I go about opening up that road for myself?

I know this is a bit lame, so I appreciate any comments at all. What would you do in this situation? 20 years old, living in Hamilton, Ontario, no 'real' history playing the game. Would my smartest option be to keep my eyes peeled for open tryouts? Play soccer at school and try to make useful contacts? I don't even know how college/university soccer works - presumably if you go to the uni/college you are free to try out for the soccer team there, but I don't know. Are there certain colleges/universities in this country that have a precedent for producing professional footballers?

I'm not interested in being told it's not possible - players making their professional debuts in their 20s is hardly unheard of - I just don't know how it's possible. I don't know what I should be doing right now, knowing the goals I set out above? Do you know of some players that started their career around my age, and are playing professionally, that I should read about? Do you know of any programs designed to give people aged 20-25 a chance to go pro?

So I would appreciate any comments, advice, input of any kind on the subject. I know that's kind of vague but I hope I've summarized it well enough. I don't need anyone to put in too much effort researching things, I'm doing my own research as we speak, but if anyone has some thoughts off the top of their head, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Andrew.

So you weren't on your high school team? I'm thinking you at least need some of that positioning, tactical sense and coaching you get from playing organized soccer. You could maybe tryout with Hamilton Croatia (CSL) this spring but given your apparent lack of experience it probably would not work out this time around. You would want to tryout for some amateur teams this summer (not sure what leagues exist in Hamilton) and play at the highest level you can. If you are going to university or college, tryout for that team. Your eventual goal is probably the CSL.

If this is legit, you have a lot of practicing to do as you need to develop your skills and your football IQ to a level that at least good enough to make a CSL team. Of course you are will be very far behind your counterparts, and my first recommendation would be to lace up with an amature team to see if you even have the desire to continue with this dream. If the game fuels you even further you should probably be playing almost everyday of the week on a bunch of amature teams for the first few months to see if you can develop your skills playing in a certain position and play effectively in different styles of the game (different formations on different teams). You will also need to get your fitness up so you can last a full game.

If you find you are excelling, then someone who has gone the CSL or acadamy level training is probably best to fill in the rest.

All I know is you have an uphill battle and you need to get moving if you really want to give this a shot. Best of luck!

Nice dream. You'll need about 10,000 hours of competitive play along with extreme mental discipline and God given athletic ability. Think you can handle working part time at Starbucks for the next five years while likewise putting in 5 hours a day in a competitive playing environment? Go get 'em.

Get an education. It isn't perfect or a guarantee of work but it sure makes the odds better. Find something that interests you and get and education in it. Playing is only one aspect of the game and along the way you may find something else that you are better at or interested in. To be realistic with yourself is very important. Try out for every team you can starting at the highest level in your area and see where you fit. That would be a good start. Always have a "plan B" to the main one of playing pro.

Most importantly, get an education!

Try catching on with a High Level Amateur league or trialing with a CSL team (semi-professional). If you're out of class at the CSL level, then prospects are probably fairly slim for a serious soccer career. Doesn't mean you can't play and/or coach the game still, just means you should probably focus on getting an education.

I've played competitive soccer all my life. I've played with and against players who have gone on to youth national teams, the CSL and the TFC Academy. So far none of them have made it professionally, and they were all significantly better than me. Even the CSL isn't something you just join as an I want to play socccer league.

Starting at 20 is too late. People seem to have this idea soccer is easier to get into later in life than hockey or basketball etc. It's not. I don't want to be negative, but I agree with Ed the only way to make $$ in soccer now is through refereeing. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the game though.

Finally some reasonable posts. I didn't want to be the first guy to post a dickish statement but if you're a 20 year old Canadian-born and raised who's never played organized soccer in his life, your chances are about 1 in a million of ever making any money playing soccer.

Like Soju said, 10 000 hours is the minimum required to become a pro. Then you need the necessary athleticism, dedication, some lucky breaks etc. First thing you need to do if you're serious is to get yourself on a low level men's rec. league team - preferably one already training indoors - and start training every day for hours on end.

No need to be shy, most truths are pretty dickish and sugarcoating is no good for anyone. I just felt the need to ask and I appreciate the responses. I've been out of high school due to a need to work and help the family, I'll be going back to get my diploma in a week and you know how your imagination can run away with you - you start to think, well what if I played for the school team? What if I was a dab hand at the game I've always enjoyed watching, would it be worth trying to make something out of nothing? Those sorts of thoughts in my head.

So I appreciate all of you being straight with me, I know there's a thousand times in that post where you'd be right to say 'Look mate, why don't you cross that bridge when you get to it?', and it's something impossible to say without expecting a few people to roll their eyes.

If anyone else has anything to add, I'll check back here a few times a day. Thanks for the help.

Andrew.

G’day Andrew, welcome to the Vs.

So you want to be a professional eh? Well even if you had been playing consistently since the age of 8 or 10, and had progressed up the ranks of Tier soccer in Canada, your chances of becoming a pro would still be incredibly limited.

As you know there are three established Pro teams in Canada, with a fledgling forth outfit in Edmonton. Rough calculation based on an average squad first team size of 22, with (to be generous) the same number held on retainers scattered amongst amateur farm team set ups (if they even exist) would make 176 wage earning professional . Add to that the development league players who are effectively amateurs, who have been in the system for the best part of fifteen years and are known to the ‘pro’ coaches in the system. Then, without any playing history you’ll find yourself at the back of a very long queue, for a spot that won’t actually pay that well.:(

However all is not lost!

You have big Cahoonas my freind for even daring to dream. and thats a good thing.

I agree with many here that your best option is an education. You mentioned you have 2 semesters to complete correct? Are your grades going to allow you to access University or Tertiary College? If so, are you willing and ‘financially’ able to travel.

If so then I would suggest you dust off your passport and head to England.

A Crazy Notion?:confused: Well not really if you think about it.

There are 92 ‘professional clubs over four national divisions. Three National Semi Pro leagues below those, and another four tiers of regionalised Leagues which service genuine ‘teams’ Run out of Pubs, Clubs and Social centres; where you’ll get a chance to run out a couple of times or so, without having to pay for the privilege first. After that its usually beer money subs on a weekly basis, or if you are as good as think you are then they’ll probably front up your ‘Suds’ just to play for them (hey a de-facto professional already!;)).

You could choose to study Sports Sciences or Physical Education. Hell just get on any overseas Study Programme (or a migrants job), Get down to your nearest Boozer and sign up. I would stay clear of the students’ union teams however. Bunch of Posers!

If your any good there are enough ‘Know it all barroom agents” who’ll offer you up to their favoured club at the next level (Just don’t give them any of your money).

Seriously, there’s more chance of learning your craft and been discovered over there than in a country which (to be honest) is really only interested in Hockey.

Who Knows you may well be a genuine George Weah’s Brother. Ergo, the one who no-one has heard of but can actually play.

If you chose to go down this route I would ask only one thing. Please blog your experience back to the Forum. I’m sure we’d all love to follow your progress.

How do “The Confessions of a Confused Canadian Centre Back” sound?:cool:

Oh and yes start Practising ...NOW!

Get an education. It isn't perfect or a guarantee of work but it sure makes the odds better. Find something that interests you and get and education in it. Playing is only one aspect of the game and along the way you may find something else that you are better at or interested in. To be realistic with yourself is very important. Try out for every team you can starting at the highest level in your area and see where you fit. That would be a good start. Always have a "plan B" to the main one of playing pro.

Listen to this guy. I watched a guy turn down low six figures/year playing Premier League ball in England so he could continue his post-secondary education

Excellent advice, but I'll add a minor footnote: Don't get an arts degree unless you want to do even more schooling afterwards, they're essentially worthless in today's job market.

Excellent advice, but I'll add a minor footnote: Don't get an arts degree unless you want to do even more schooling afterwards, they're essentially worthless in today's job market.

This is a fun thread. Dont want to bring it down but are more then 100 canadians actually earning a living in soccer today? I am talking about 50 to 60000 minimum salary. It would be very good if a second teir with the likes of Edmonton and Hamilton, Victoria and 3 or 4 others somehow combined with the stronger CSL teams came together so more Attakoras could get a living and stay in the game long enough to get a chance. Currently an education is far more useful-even an Arts degree-then trying to be a pro player in Canada. It is like being a pro hockey player in Denmark.

Just out of curiosity what high school did/will you be returning to? I grew up in Caledonia so I played a lot of Hamilton teams and played in the spectator cup for 4 years while I was in high school. You play goalie you said? In my opinion (for short term anyways) is to get on a WWISL mens team. You could probably sign up for caledonia if you couldn't get on any other team. Try out for your high school team if you're back this semester. A lot of guys I've played against in Ancaster (titans) and wentworth indoor played in the spec cup. From what I've heard there are a few scouts there, and back in the day I've heard of a few players moving onto NCAA schools / youth academies.

I'm 20 myself and had the dream of playing 8th division in England after I graduate from school (more so to make connections and become an athletic therapist for a football league club). All in all though you will have to dedicate (as others have said and I've learned in Motor Learning in Uni) 10,000 hours to become an expert in the field. If you can find a job that you can work while training 4 hours a day, do it. Once you get to University/College time becomes very restricted especially if you're in science based courses (kin).

Anyways to sum that up signups (for Caledonia anyways) are on Feb 19th and the 26th (Don't know about Hamilton but they will be soon, so sign up). Take the time to train your ass off and it doesn't matter where you're playing...If you're good enough you will get noticed. One of the things I've learned is soccer communities across the province (and very well the country) are connected in one way or another.

Archived