New Kit: Think You Can Do Better?

LSM

With a lot of discussion going on about whether people like or dislike the new Umbro kits, I thought it would be cool to have a thread to see some other people's ideas.

So, post away. What would you like to see? (Reverse Ajax is an obvious way to go.) Pictures are good.

Anyway, be humbled by my mighty MS Paint skills!

2zq4t9j.jpg

The idea came from two places: 1, the nickname "Les Rouges" dictates to me that the home kit should be all red + some flair and 2, the reverse Ajax seems a little obvious to me. It would turn the front into a big red-white-red Canadian flag. So, I've turned the white up onto the sleeve, and then finding that it might now be too subtle an allusion to the flag, added a maple leaf.

Edit: I think I'll repost some other people's work that popped up in the other threads to concentrate images here.

Lord Bob's mod of the new Umbro's:

bettercanadakit.png

RedCoatsForever's quick and dirty reverse Ajax-esk:

mycdnkit.png

And Soju's:

canadashirtrevajax.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to play devil's advocate... I like the designs we have made better. But would they be legal?

How does copyright of designs come into play here when one is designing a new jersey for something like this.

Anyone have any insights into that part of it?

I am pretty sure you can sign a release of intellictual property and send over to Umbro for them to use. I would put a clause in that states something like, " If a jersey of like resembelence is chosen for the NT kit, the original designer will be compensated with one jersey of his/her chosen size." Maybe with a special stitching in the bottom left cornner saying original designer in gold script or something like that.

I like the options above. A common thread seems to be minimal black. My favourite is Soju's - it's to be the one I and I'm sure many others had conceived of independently but Soju actually put out there.

Aside from the designs above, another option might be pinstripes. (Sorry, I don't really have artistic skills). Not that inspired, but much more imaginative that the CSA seems capable of coming up with.

Seriously though, has the CSA never thought of a focus group made of players, fans and members of the public. It might have served as a guide for what works and what doesn't.

I am pretty sure you can sign a release of intellictual property and send over to Umbro for them to use. I would put a clause in that states something like, " If a jersey of like resembelence is chosen for the NT kit, the original designer will be compensated with one jersey of his/her chosen size." Maybe with a special stitching in the bottom left cornner saying original designer in gold script or something like that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was given the number of jerseys out there how difficult is it to come up with something that isn't going to make someone else grumpy in the copyright sphere.

We are already referring to these as Man U and Ajax jerseys. Maybe lawyers would as well.

There are only so many ways you can arrange stripes and colors on a shirt and after all this time... how difficult is it to do something that doesn't infringe?

Anyone know anything about this kind of thing?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was given the number of jerseys out there how difficult is it to come up with something that isn't going to make someone else grumpy in the copyright sphere.

We are already referring to these as Man U and Ajax jerseys. Maybe lawyers would as well.

There are only so many ways you can arrange stripes and colors on a shirt and after all this time... how difficult is it to do something that doesn't infringe?

Anyone know anything about this kind of thing?

This seems rather confusing from my point of view.

Because Ajax has a jersey (created by Umbro!) in that format, NO OTHER CLUB/TEAM can use that?

So what, a team with a solid white jersey owns the rights to "solid white jerseys" ?

This seems rather confusing from my point of view.

Because Ajax has a jersey (created by Umbro!) in that format, NO OTHER CLUB/TEAM can use that?

So what, a team with a solid white jersey owns the rights to "solid white jerseys" ?

It's an interesting question. Who actually does own the rights to the design.

If you wanted to do a retro of an old version, and your current sponsor is a different brand where does that leave you?

Where does the design of the shirt begin and the logo's/marks of the association and company begin in the 'total' design.

It's an interesting question. Who actually does own the rights to the design.

If you wanted to do a retro of an old version, and your current sponsor is a different brand where does that leave you?

Where does the design of the shirt begin and the logo's/marks of the association and company begin in the 'total' design.

You cannot trademark fashion as far as I'm aware, you can only trademark the corporate logo.

Interesting, Regs. Will the custom be the one that goes on sale early June, or are we expected to pony up for this one and the next one as well? ;)
No idea but I would assume it would be the custom one.

BTW, the crest on the red kit has already been updated apparently.

post-1242-13946525336_thumb.jpg

No idea but I would assume it would be the custom one.

BTW, the crest on the red kit has already been updated apparently.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]310[/ATTACH]

Now I might actually have to debate buying the red or white. The proper crest makes all the difference in the world.

Would you by any chance mind telling us where that photo came from?

For the white one I'll go with thescottc's. Simple, non-symetrical and original (at least I haven't seen others with a single color stripe on one side).

For the red I'll go with Soju's but too similar to the reverse Ajax so I'm still open to a different red design.

Archived