The fate of the ESG if FCE folds

Do we support a team playing in Edmonton that isn't pro or do we go into limbo and meet at bars for occasional games?

I think the NASL is pulling an AC St. Louis, and keeping mum, because the only news is bad news.

They haven't tried hard to keep information flowing to the fans so far. (tryouts news isn't real news, but I will take it.)

I don't blame FCE. I really don't. Why would they advertise heavily and build a good website when the league has no intention of getting more then 1,500 butts in seats in the American clubs, and having the worst website in pro soccer.

I don't know man. I don't really think that there would be so much money put into this league and the teams would just give up this close to the season. The fact that the club is still going through with fitness testing leads me to believe that management still has faith that there will be a season (that or they're operating on the "keep calm, carry on" mentality).

Personal feeling about the ESG is that we keep on trucking as the Edmonton division of the Voyageurs, meeting up for the National team games.

Personal feeling about the ESG is that we keep on trucking as the Edmonton division of the Voyageurs, meeting up for the National team games.

Yup, you bet. We will still exist, just getting together for National team games, just like we have for the last few years. Sucks, but what else can we do.

I don't blame FCE. I really don't. Why would they advertise heavily and build a good website when the league has no intention of getting more then 1,500 butts in seats in the American clubs, and having the worst website in pro soccer.

That's not a healthy and logical attitude, FT. They were warned well in advance of how unsound the NASL structure was and simply refused due diligence, trusting in their opinions of the other owners' personalities and backgrounds. A foolish decision.

So, you really SHOULD blame FCE. They weren't told they had to have a **** website. They had FULL TIME staff to work on things like that, but just didn't.

Look, you're much more passionate about football than any of the owners involved in this were. That's a frank reality of why this situation exists. They were fascinated, ambitious. They weren't fanatical, so they didn't inject scrutiny into everything they did.

We are all susceptible to our own hubris, particularly those among us with prior success in other fields. But it's still a choice made locally, not something thrust upon them by some evil or rotten other group.

My suggestion? Keep the group going, and growing. When you've got some members who are involved in business, which will inevitable happen, start having them make inquiries about how the membership could contribute to the growth of pro soccer in Canada, both within your own ranks, and within their business circles.

That kind of organic involvement can lead to exponentially quicker growth than just sitting back and watching as things unfold -- or, in this case, fall apart.

So, you really SHOULD blame FCE. They weren't told they had to have a **** website. They had FULL TIME staff to work on things like that, but just didn't.

Sorry jloome, I know F.C. Edmonton's website isn't the greatest, but it is a real gem compared to the NASL's website. And that was the website I was referring to in my previous post. FCE is far more stable than the league, and it provides more updates on it's website then we can expect from leagues's website. I want F.C. Edmonton to exist one way or another, until it finds a good, stable league to play in. I don't care who it is. I want my little boy to grow up cheering for them, because God knows he will grow up hating everything Katz related. In fact I should start praying that he does.

Archived