Do we really get screwed more than everyone else?

Sam

Watching the Man. United - Tottenham game got me thinking about poor refereeing decisions, after Rafael's ridiculous red card. Watching the game I was furious about the sending off, but United played well enough for the next 15 minutes and picked up a big away point at White Hart Lane. After the game all I was thinking about was how well United defended, and I barely even thought back to the sending off.

Then of course I thought about Canada's history of being screwed and wondered if we really get screwed more than everyone else or do we just complain about it more because as a team we don't react well. I mean sure we were completely screwed in the 2007 Gold Cup during the USA game, it was the last minute of the game and our comeback was taken away as a result of a terrible call. But in the most recent Gold Cup after the Honduras game we were all talking about the terrible penalty decision not our inability to score after dominating Honduras for more than 45 minutes.

Comparing the times Man United has been the victim of poor calls vs. those of Canada I don't think it is that different. I really think we may just dwell on it more than everyone else because we are so bad at responding...

Watching the Man. United - Tottenham game got me thinking about poor refereeing decisions, after Rafael's ridiculous red card. Watching the game I was furious about the sending off, but United played well enough for the next 15 minutes and picked up a big away point at White Hart Lane. After the game all I was thinking about was how well United defended, and I barely even thought back to the sending off.

Then of course I thought about Canada's history of being screwed and wondered if we really get screwed more than everyone else or do we just complain about it more because as a team we don't react well. I mean sure we were completely screwed in the 2007 Gold Cup during the USA game, it was the last minute of the game and our comeback was taken away as a result of a terrible call. But in the most recent Gold Cup after the Honduras game we were all talking about the terrible penalty decision not our inability to score after dominating Honduras for more than 45 minutes.

Comparing the times Man United has been the victim of poor calls vs. those of Canada I don't think it is that different. I really think we may just dwell on it more than everyone else because we are so bad at responding...

Well, we did dominate and Mckenna hit the post afterwards. Sure, Man United tied the Spurs in the end but if the wind blowed our way and we got a a bounce here or there, we could've easily tied the Honduras game as well. Also, United more often than not get help from the referees compared to any other team, and they're extremely lucky in general with all these fergie....ahem.. injury time goals.

Well, we did dominate and Mckenna hit the post afterwards. Sure, Man United tied the Spurs in the end but if the wind blowed our way and we got a a bounce here or there, we could've easily tied the Honduras game as well. Also, United more often than not get help from the referees compared to any other team, and they're extremely lucky in general with all these fergie....ahem.. injury time goals.

Play until you win...

I'll say it again but the call at the 2007 GC was extremely difficult. True it was a mistake by the refereeing crew but it was a tough one for the AR.

As for your question, I don't think we are getting screwed more than other teams. During the 2008 WCQ I don't remember us being screwed by a terrible call. In fact, we did benefit from a wrong offside call against Honduras when they scored early in the game in Honduras. At some point, it's up to the players to win games even if there was a bad call against us.

IMO, all this talk about CONCACAF refs being bad and being an obtacle for our qualification should stop. It's not good for the players. Of course they have to know about tendacies of official in term of what they call but always thinking that the refs are there to screw you isn't helpfull at all. If it's what you think why bother playing the game?

If Pat ONstad, JDG or Stalteri can have a terrible game I'm not sure why a ref can't...it's part of the game!

I mostly agree with you on this but I think we have had some terrible calls against us over the years! You're right, we can't dwell on the past, you have to move on! The better we play, the less chance there is of a phantom penalty call going against us! There are some major obstacles in CONCACAF for us to overcome and the poor officiating is just one of them!

I'll say it again but the call at the 2007 GC was extremely difficult. True it was a mistake by the refereeing crew but it was a tough one for the AR.

As for your question, I don't think we are getting screwed more than other teams. During the 2008 WCQ I don't remember us being screwed by a terrible call. In fact, we did benefit from a wrong offside call against Honduras when they scored early in the game in Honduras. At some point, it's up to the players to win games even if there was a bad call against us.

IMO, all this talk about CONCACAF refs being bad and being an obtacle for our qualification should stop. It's not good for the players. Of course they have to know about tendacies of official in term of what they call but always thinking that the refs are there to screw you isn't helpfull at all. If it's what you think why bother playing the game?

If Pat ONstad, JDG or Stalteri can have a terrible game I'm not sure why a ref can't...it's part of the game!

I was pretty raw over the 2009 phantom penalty in the Gold Cup.

But JamboAl pointed out to me at the time that we should have been able to pot at least one goal.

He was right at the time, in the aftermath of that match, but i had a fair bit of alcohol and bitterness over the call and disagreed.

I agree with him now.

You gotta be able to bounce back, otherwise, you don't deserve a win. We didn't deserve a win that day. We didn't score. Simple as that.

The refs cost us the game is the anthem of the loser. With that said, if I would have to venture a guess I think Canada is often on the short end of the stick but it isn’t out of the ordinary. Do the refs screw us over more so than bigger nations? Absolutely, but it is probably par for the course with minor nations similar to Canada.

Everybody is focused on the big ones, like the criminal call on Hutch's goal in the GC. But to me it is sometimes the smaller stuff that tends to hurt - the awarded fouls for dives that can disadvantage us, the blatant time wasting that isn't punished, etc.

Maybe it isn't that we get screwed more by the refs, but we do get somewhat screwed by the fact that they tolerate and reward the kind of diving antics that we all see all the time when the Nats play some of the central american teams (we also saw it in the CONCACAF CL when Toronto and Montreal advanced). It is almost like the style of play that is tolerated in CONCACAF doesn't benefit a team like Canada.

Having said all that - I agree that we need to learn to win despite the adversity.

Archived