I will not be a supporter of the Whitecaps!!

Jimmy2011

While we all wish that the Caps had their own stadium with grass we have to do this one step at a time. No I don't like the vast majority of fake turf and I'm disappointed that we have to share a stadium with the pointy ball bunch. As much as I think both are good sports the size, number and way that football is played is just a disaster for the turf. From a soccer standpoint we all hope that they can get the stadium deal done and moved on to construction by time our 5 years in BC place is up.

As to all the foreign players. So what? The Caps have a residency program that is doing great at developing Canadian talent and was doing so long before they were required to. In the end the local players need a target to shoot for and it is best to make it a difficult one. The foreign players will amount to 10 out of 30 and all the residency players will know that is what they have to beat for a spot.

They are playing on Fieldturf for one and its going to be like the old NASL with a lot of foreigner players and not a team that is going to support and develop Canadian talent.

A ?dozen? canadian spots on an mls team is a better then, well not having a ?dozen? mls roster spots. And from what I can tell their doing a pretty good job with their academy...so ...go whitecaps? (I'm not personally fan but from a canadian perspective I obviously hope for the best for them)

I think you've jumped the gun a little here, Jim. Whitecaps have been the premier developer of young Canadians for years now, and moving up to MLS seems to be a good way to reaffirm that.

TFC played on turf for three seasons, the fans and players fought for grass and now BMO field has sod like you'll see on EPL pitches. Patience is a virtue.

They are playing on Fieldturf for one and its going to be like the old NASL with a lot of foreigner players and not a team that is going to support and develop Canadian talent.

Jimmy, I believe you are misinformed. We share your sadness re Field Turf but your are way off base in regards to the development of Canadian talent.

I feel like it's early 2007 again. Just replace 'Whitecaps' with 'TFC' and these are the kinds of threads we were reading four years ago.

As many have stated, the football is good, the turf is not perfect but it'll do for now, and the Caps will continue to develop Canadian talent (they just now have a higher level to play in).

All will be fine. Haters need not apply.

I feel like it's early 2007 again. Just replace 'Whitecaps' with 'TFC' and these are the kinds of threads we were reading four years ago.

As many have stated, the football is good, the turf is not perfect but it'll do for now, and the Caps will continue to develop Canadian talent (they just now have a higher level to play in).

All will be fine. Haters need not apply.

Yeah, I know eh, like who asked them anyways.

These seem like silly reasons jimmy as others have pointed out, but it got me thinking; is there any reason anyone here would stop supporting the clubs they support?

No, I would always support the Club, but I think it's fair as a fan to question everything from Ownership to the Players, but you also have respect for all of them as well as they (in 99% of the cases) where the colours of that club with pride and give it there all every time they put that crest on.

and Jimmy if you really believe this club first interest should be for the CMNT out of your mind. That's a second thought, and should be. It's a club that should be focused on winning, if they happen to develop some local national team members that's a bonus and that's it.

These seem like silly reasons jimmy as others have pointed out, but it got me thinking; is there any reason anyone here would stop supporting the clubs they support?

I have been a satelite supporter of TFC since the first kick of the first season, but their constant underachievement and off-field management errors have caused me to think about switching my support to the Caps in the coming season. Disloyal? I guess. But I am so sick of my team not performing. I don't have a geographical tie to TFC - I support it because it is the top level of pro soccer in Canada. I tune in to all the games I can on TV/internet. I bought some gear. But throughout it all, I have been regularly disappointed - both by the players and by the management.

I have been a Leafs fan since I started watching hockey, and I don't want to endure that kind of perennial failure. The parallels between MLSE's cash cow Maple leafs and TFC are significant, and I'm not willing to be taken for granted as a fan like that. The upcoming season will be an interesting one.

I can only imagine having difficulty with TFC and London City if the CSL champs ever play in the Voyageur's Cup. However, I'm fine because the odds of that particular scenario are so remote they're in Saturns rings.

Your all just a bunch of corporate pawns. If you want to support a club then the club has to have a soul. The club needs to have local players or Canadian players not washed up Euro former mid range stars. The stadium needs a soul and not temporary stadium or is it temporary? with a blanket ceiling to provide the intimate atmosphere in the multi-purpose stadium. Its all the corporate bottom line as the 8 Canadian player limit is lifted and the MLS plays no role in developing Canadian talent.

Enjoy breathing in the rubber dust. How is the waterfront stadium coming along still negotiating with the port? lol

Your all just a bunch of corporate pawns. If you want to support a club then the club has to have a soul. The club needs to have local players or Canadian players not washed up Euro former mid range stars. The stadium needs a soul and not temporary stadium or is it temporary? with a blanket ceiling to provide the intimate atmosphere in the multi-purpose stadium. Its all the corporate bottom line as the 8 Canadian player limit is lifted and the MLS plays no role in developing Canadian talent.

Enjoy breathing in the rubber dust. How is the waterfront stadium coming along still negotiating with the port? lol

Wow, in the thread starting post you just sounded a little overbearing. Turns out you're a jerk with a superiority complex... thanks for identifying yourself as such. :)

No, I just want to watch soccer in my own hometown.

Thats the way of the world man, get caught up to the 21st century, winning sells, and money wins.

End of Story.

It's the CSA's job to build Canadian soccer not the Caps, TFC or Impacts job, sure they can help, but it's not thee first task ahead of them.

Just like it's not the Canucks job to build Canada's hockey prospects, or The Blue Jay's job to build our Baseball prospects. That sorta stuff is done at the grassroots level, little leagues, minor hockey, and so on, up into the youth levels of the certain sports.

But by no means do I put all the pressure on our clubs to produce local talent. Maybe I'm just used to growing up watching hockey and through other sports but if soccer fans of Canada are that oblivious to think its in the Caps best interest for the to produce limitless CMNT members, then why does the EPL not do this? They are the most successful financially football league in the world and there teams do not look at building England first, then there club.

All I want is to watch quality first tier NA soccer in Vancouver, and that's what there first goal is, everything else is secondary and should be.

I don't care who the players are to be honest, or where they are from because when they put on the Caps jersey it doesn't matter anymore because they are representing the Caps and the City of Vancouver.

I don't know if you're ignorant, naive, or both. I also assume that you don't follow the Canucks or BC Lions either as both have a large number of non-Canadian players. How un-Canadian of the Canucks for having a Swedish captain and the Lions for having an American quarterback. Shame on them. You're also a hypocrite if you support any teams in any of the top soccer leagues as the same applies to them.

I suppose that you'd only support the Whitecaps if they played in front of packed houses at an Emirates-like stadium and had a roster comprised of 89.66666% Canadians. If you are looking for a team in a top league with only domestic players that is also uninfluenced by the corporate dollar, I believe the North Korean Premier League may be perfect for you.

Like others have said, get with the program it's 2011. This is the nature of professional sports in this day and age.

I am looking for approximately 30% of the roster to be Canadian or 8 players on a 24 player roster. The stars don't have to be Canadian. This seems to a reasonable realistic goal for Canadians in the team. If the Canadian MLS teams can't have just over 30% Canadian players in their rosters then they have some work to do. They need to invest in player development or hire Canadian that are playing in Europe rather than lobby the CSA to lower the standard. It would also be fair to have a Canadian playing in the MLS not be considered a foreign player.

I am looking for approximately 30% of the roster to be Canadian or 8 players on a 24 player roster. The stars don't have to be Canadian. This seems to a reasonable realistic goal for Canadians in the team. If the Canadian MLS teams can't have just over 30% Canadian players in their rosters then they have some work to do. They need to invest in player development or hire Canadian that are playing in Europe rather than lobby the CSA to lower the standard. It would also be fair to have a Canadian playing in the MLS not be considered a foreign player.

Well, these are not all really problems with The Whitecaps these are problems with the MLS, no one is arguing that the league has no flaws it does, but it won't get better or succeed without some sort of real fan base with knowledge that can help direct it the right way.

If you think a better Top Tier football league will drop from the sky for us in North America your mistaken if the MLS fails, North American Club soccer will be irrelevant for another decade or so. I don't think we are here to argue it's a perfect situation or a perfect league, but its the best we got and only we can make it better by sticking around and making are voices heard throughout the halls and backrooms of the MLS.

Plus not sure how our Development programs can be hurt by any of this, have you seen how well they've been doing over the last 20 years, any change is progress at this point. Give this stuff time, your jumping off before the final roster is even set. Making conclusions now is being shortsighted.

like it's not the Canucks job to build Canada's hockey prospects, or The Blue Jay's job to build our Baseball prospects. That sorta stuff is done at the grassroots level, little leagues, minor hockey, and so on, up into the youth levels of the certain sports.

But this is not how it works in football/soccer. If it is how you say it is, then tell me how countries like Brazil, England, Italy, etc. develop their players?

Archived