CMISL/PASL - Calgary vs California

tmcmurph

Calgary United takes on the California Cougars this Sunday at 3 PM at the Subway Soccer Centre.

This is the team that beat Calgary in the North American finals in San Diego last March. Twas a great game up to the ending.

Tickets are available at the door or from the website www.calgaryunitedfc.ca

That was a good game even with the terrible video quality. I wondered then what the result would have been with the smaller goals in Calgary as I remember the Cougars picking the corners on the big goals from distance for at least a couple of their goals.

That was a good game even with the terrible video quality. I wondered then what the result would have been with the smaller goals in Calgary as I remember the Cougars picking the corners on the big goals from distance for at least a couple of their goals.

The funniest thing for me was it was in an arena that was outdoors with stands etc. The last 3 of their last 4 goals from distance were superb shots, most from distance by their sub for the goalie. It would be interesting to see some Futsal league get formed because the nets are not huge and a quick reflex type keeper that Calgary has would do great in that sport.

I was surprised at how many people were there. Considering it was playoffs in the NFL that was a great turnout. As to the game it was one of the dirtier if not the dirtiest I've seen. Both teams have their advantages with Calgary's being a bit better at overall team speed and California's being possession. They both can play both ways but you could see which they preferred. The game was very chippy and overly physical.

The game started late because California didn't get there on time but the play was very good. In the first half both goalies played great with Calgary having more chances. The play and score went back and forth all night with the score at halftime being 3-2 for California. The game was tied at 2-2 when Calgary's Napuri was sent of with a straight red. He had taken a forearm to the face in the offensive zone but the refs didn't call it. Within a minute he was running down a ball with the player beside him and he threw an elbow that would make Gordie Howe envious. I heard it and I was in the stands so you can imagine what the ref saw and heard from 5 FEET AWAY. Dumb move. Not only did California score on the power play but Felix was gone for the night and he is a player you don't want to lose.

In the second half there was more chippy play but Calgary tied it up and then after trading more goals managed to put 2 in quickly for a 6-4 lead. The best goal of the night was Calgary's sixth. A wicked volley struck like a rocket into the net. All the goals were good ones with not really any garbage goals and a lot of tic-tac-toe plays by both teams. California got one back to make it 6-5 and pulled the goalie for the extra attacker which they do so very well but neither team could score so that is how the game ended.

Excellent game and hopefully they won't be so careless and outright stupid with their arm swinging the next time they meet.

Archived