Omar Salgado

Strider

El Paso, is a potential fit for the MLS, I could see them being one of them small market area's that floruish with the MLS.

A prime location for the next Mexican club to place a team in the MLS there has been waves that since USA Chivas has done well that other Mexican clubs have been looking at possibly getting teams in the MLS.

To hell with the pundits. I think DC United paid them off so everyone would say Nagbe & Kitchen are obviously #1 & 2. Then they could grab Omar 3rd. No dice. From what Bobaduzzi said the Caps want Salgado and are willing to have the possibility of him not playing until September. The Caps looked at the others and listened to all the offers but took Omar #1 for many reasons. They had their mind set on Omar for some time. Lets face it, no way would he still be available at 8th pick. You take him first or you don't get him.

Nagbe is more of a withdrawn forward (Caps have Chumi for that according to BL) whereas Omar is a pure forward. Also the Caps have several small quick forward types (REB & Stewart). Having some size up there is great (Nagbe is 5'9" & Omar is 6'4"). A talent like this doesn't come around every year or even every decade. Time to take a chance. Given that TT was a striker in his playing days I'm sure he will be able to help the kid along.

speaking of Chumi and Rochat... I wonder when they will be officially signed..

yeah, I've been twiddling my thumbs for that those signings.

Though Rochat is signed isn't he, we was officially signed then loaned out from what i understood from his deal.

Salgado at 17 years old and 6'4'' with both the US and Mexican NT's courting him, it was a no brainier for the Caps to take him #1 the most important part of all this is Omar seems genuinely happy to be coming to Vancouver.

speaking of Chumi and Rochat... I wonder when they will be officially signed..

If they do announcements like they have in the past expect some of those signings becoming official by the end of January. They're having a training session last week of January, allowing players to be in town and the Canucks will be off for the all-star break. Management has always joked that they're better off making major announcements when the Canucks are out of town or have a break.

Also, I have posted this before but I'll do it again. This video is of Omar Salgado playing for the Chivas team in Mexico before his move to the United States.

Also, I have posted this before but I'll do it again. This video is of Omar Salgado playing for the Chivas team in Mexico before his move to the United States.

This is not Salgado playing for the Chivas but Salgado playing for the Chivas youth team against what appears to be pretty poor opposition. We have a video with 3 goals that is almost 4 minutes long by showing them over and over again. Only the third goal is very impressive and even that may have just been luck. The first goal is very poor keeping and the second is very poor defending and a perfect cross. Salgado may or may not turn out to be as good as hyped but this video shows nothing.

This is not Salgado playing for the Chivas but Salgado playing for the Chivas youth team against what appears to be pretty poor opposition. We have a video with 3 goals that is almost 4 minutes long by showing them over and over again. Only the third goal is very impressive and even that may have just been luck. The first goal is very poor keeping and the second is very poor defending and a perfect cross. Salgado may or may not turn out to be as good as hyped but this video shows nothing.

I assumed that people would realize that considering Salgado was 16 when this video was shot that he was playing for the youth team in Chivas. I apologize for thinking there was intelligence on this board. I posted this video as example of the types of goals he can score at a level with kids of the same age.

I assumed that people would realize that considering Salgado was 16 when this video was shot that he was playing for the youth team in Chivas. I apologize for thinking there was intelligence on this board. I posted this video as example of the types of goals he can score at a level with kids of the same age.

Don't worry about it, I think anyone with half a brain realized what you meant man. Nice video as well, he has a lot of potential at 6'4'' and 17, to think people thought we'd pass him up at No. 1.

He is a stud in the making, and Vancouver is the perfect system to bring him along to his potential, I have a feeling he will be sold for a handsome sum to a big European club by the time he's 21.

Everyone knew Vancouver was picking this kid. Vancouver wants to be the biggest club in North America, Salgado is just another prospect added to maybe the best group of prospects in MLS with Gage, Teibert, Porter, Davies, Toure, Mobulu and now Salgado. I know some aren't high on Gage and Davies but how many players in MLS have played over 30 pro games before they were 20? The caps aren't rushing Teibert but he is going to be a great MLS player I think he'll leave at the same age as Salgado.

Whats going on with Gage btw? I heard he wasn't gonna be signed which I find hard to believe, Im sure TFC would snap him up.

Everyone knew Vancouver was picking this kid. Vancouver wants to be the biggest club in North America, Salgado is just another prospect added to maybe the best group of prospects in MLS with Gage, Teibert, Porter, Davies, Toure, Mobulu and now Salgado.

It's a great group of prospects, but FC Dallas has them beat in the "youth with upside" department IMO.

As for Salgado, calling him a "once in a decade" talent is a bit much, and may be unfair to the kid. Sure, he may turn out to be just that, but much the same was said about Freddy Adu a few years back. Just let him be the best youth talent in Vancouver for the time being, and go from there.

Whats going on with Gage btw? I heard he wasn't gonna be signed which I find hard to believe, Im sure TFC would snap him up.

My personal opinion is Gage will not be signed to a MLS contract this year. What I would do with him is to sign him to a PDL contract but loan him out to NASL or USL side to work on his game and play against pros. Then next year if ready sign him to a HG contract. I don't believe the Caps are down on Gage, I think they want to find his proper position whether its CM, CB or RB. Remember he's only 19.

Or maybe they do what TFC did and sign him midway through the season to a HG contract. I have a hard time believing that some of these MLS draft prospects (later rounds obviously) Vancouver drafted are more capable than Gage. But its important for Gage to be playing next year so like you said maybe they sign him but loan him out like Alex Nimo was to Portland by Real Salt Lake. I think that would be best for Porter and Teibert too to be honest if they could get those guys to Edmonton they would be laughing no point in sitting on the bench in MLS and playing just reserve matches and an NCC match or two.

It's a great group of prospects, but FC Dallas has them beat in the "youth with upside" department IMO.

As for Salgado, calling him a "once in a decade" talent is a bit much, and may be unfair to the kid. Sure, he may turn out to be just that, but much the same was said about Freddy Adu a few years back. Just let him be the best youth talent in Vancouver for the time being, and go from there.

re your blog on Freddy, Ingolstadt has decided not to make him an offer at this time. Buddle was signed.

re your blog on Freddy, Ingolstadt has decided not to make him an offer at this time. Buddle was signed.

Freddy is an enigma, but he needs to go home to MLS and re-group.

Also, Juan Agudelo is the current 17-year-old American Goldenboy striker, so Omar Salgado will need to supplant him first before earning the "once in a decade" crown.

Freddy is an enigma, but he needs to go home to MLS and re-group.

Also, Juan Agudelo is the current 17-year-old American Goldenboy striker, so Omar Salgado will need to supplant him first before earning the "once in a decade" crown.

To be perfectly honest, Agudelo can keep the made up media 'crown'

We(as in knowledgeable people around the Caps) only care about Salgado and what he does from now on, not sure how you break him down too much at the moment he is very raw like any 17 year old would be. One thing is for sure he has a tangible quality you can't teach in a Striker, a mix of Size and Pace. I think he has all the tools to succeed he has literally years of development ahead of him still, yet most pundits would be tempted to slot him into a regular spot with the Caps once he hits eligibility.

I think he'll have some bumps and bruises through his first taste of pro soccer, and we will get to see how well he can cope with all of it, but like most I see a bright future for him in Caps jersey and beyond.

I think TT will use him like he did with REB and sub in to get his feet wet but not so much as to cause injury in the young man. He has a lot of development left to do (soccer and physically filling out). I really hope the exemption comes through so he can start the season. He is on a GA contract, so however the Caps deploy him he'll get some development time. I don't see a loan out happening.

Everyone knew Vancouver was picking this kid. Vancouver wants to be the biggest club in North America, Salgado is just another prospect added to maybe the best group of prospects in MLS with Gage, Teibert, Porter, Davies, Toure, Mobulu and now Salgado. I know some aren't high on Gage and Davies but how many players in MLS have played over 30 pro games before they were 20? The caps aren't rushing Teibert but he is going to be a great MLS player I think he'll leave at the same age as Salgado.

Lets not get carried away here. How can you say that with any certainty?

My personal opinion is Gage will not be signed to a MLS contract this year. What I would do with him is to sign him to a PDL contract but loan him out to NASL or USL side to work on his game and play against pros. Then next year if ready sign him to a HG contract. I don't believe the Caps are down on Gage, I think they want to find his proper position whether its CM, CB or RB. Remember he's only 19.

That is a good idea.

To be perfectly honest, Agudelo can keep the made up media 'crown'

We(as in knowledgeable people around the Caps) only care about Salgado and what he does from now on, not sure how you break him down too much at the moment he is very raw like any 17 year old would be. One thing is for sure he has a tangible quality you can't teach in a Striker, a mix of Size and Pace. I think he has all the tools to succeed he has literally years of development ahead of him still, yet most pundits would be tempted to slot him into a regular spot with the Caps once he hits eligibility.

I think he'll have some bumps and bruises through his first taste of pro soccer, and we will get to see how well he can cope with all of it, but like most I see a bright future for him in Caps jersey and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not slagging Salgado. I've just seen so many over-hyped young players get huge amounts of pressure thrust upon them, only to see them wilt.

Salgado has the unusual "advantage" of not being able to play on the first team with Vancouver until September, so he'll have plenty of time to develop outside of the spotlight, which should help.

As for Agudelo, he's not a made-up media darling. The kid is reminiscent of Jozy Altidore 3-4 years ago, but he needs to come along slowly and prove himself over a full season or two before anything can be definitively said about him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not slagging Salgado. I've just seen so many over-hyped young players get huge amounts of pressure thrust upon them, only to see them wilt.

Salgado has the unusual "advantage" of not being able to play on the first team with Vancouver until September, so he'll have plenty of time to develop outside of the spotlight, which should help.

As for Agudelo, he's not a made-up media darling. The kid is reminiscent of Jozy Altidore 3-4 years ago, but he needs to come along slowly and prove himself over a full season or two before anything can be definitively said about him.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to take anything away from Agudelo either I just find labels like those are never too much to look into. It's so hard to judge player who have even fully grown up physically let along mentality, tactically and so on. All you can do is try and find kids with the most things you can't teach someone, then go from there. Intangibles and genetic gifts are usually a good thing to draft around when it comes to unfinished prospects.

I didn't which is why I put maybe in front hahahaha but idk I like Philly's prospects but I'd take Vancouvers over theirs if I had to choose.

You'd take Vancouver's prospects over the likes of Mwanga, Torres and McInerney?

Wow.

I think it's a tough choice myself, but given time Vancouver's top 3 are juat as good and fit our system better, plus we have a better devlopment program so they should come along pretty quickly if all goes to plan.

I'm not sure if the development program matters when it comes to the three Philly players I've named. All three of them got regular minutes with Philly's first team (which is equal to the best "development" any MLS team could possibly offer), and McInerney is also competing with the US U-20 side.

If we're talking about academy level players, then I'd agree with you that Vancouver's set up is far superior (Philly's "academy" is a joke), but the three I listed are playing and training with the first team, and will only get more playing time this year.

Archived