Canadians abroad: January 14-20, 2011

DJT

Tosaint Ricketts Interview:

http://www.prosport.ro/fotbal-intern/liga-1/interviu-cu-ricketts-poli-a-facut-o-afacere-buna-cu-mine-7897391

Some highlights:

When did you get into football and how you came to play in Finland?

I started playing football quite late, at 14 years in Canada. Shortly thereafter, I was summoned to the national junior, things happened very quickly at the beginning of my career. Education is very important to my family, I got a scholarship to the University of Green Bay, Wisconsin, the U.S., where I played for four years. I played for the national World Cup Under 20 and Under 23 qualifications for the Olympic Games. Then, I was seen by a manager that I was looking for clubs to play and so I arrived in Finland.

At what level is football in Canada?

It's growing every year is becoming better and more popular and the number of teams is growing.

Don't think league play resumes until mid February. I'm kinda hoping he gets called up vs Greece. It's not like any of our strikers are getting any playing time anyway.

Yeah, Hume, and Occean haven't seen the pitch since this weekend and today, respectively. No playing time at all. ;)

Yeah, Hume, and Occean haven't seen the pitch since this weekend and today, respectively. No playing time at all. ;)

I know! What gives? Seriously, I was referring more towards Friend and Jackson really. And Uccello really isn't playing at an appropiate league level for a call up now. Hoilett isn't coming. Why not call up Ricketts?

That's good news, if Ricketts can muscle his way into the starting XI his career could be headed places.

Interesting. In the article, there's a part where they call him "Colour Striker"

Reading the original text it looks like the Romanian is more correctly translated as Striker of Colour or Coloured Striker...lol.

Can't find any information on the club they played but thats awesome news! If Ricketts can become a regular in Poli Timisoara's XI Hart can't overlook him

It's a 2nd Division Hungarian side, but it's a friendly, and Ricketts hasn't played in several months. So for a guy without match fitness, playing half a match, 2 goals is pretty damn good.

It's a 2nd Division Hungarian side, but it's a friendly, and Ricketts hasn't played in several months. So for a guy without match fitness, playing half a match, 2 goals is pretty damn good.

Ya his manager said after the match "ricketts is a very good player", his second goal was a nice turn and finish. Looks like he's getting a bit of hype lets hope he can be in the XI, the manager at the end says something along the lines of someone being in the first 13-14 players but Im not sure if hes talking about Ricketts or a Brazilian defender named Rocha.

Archived