Women's programs and development around the world

Vic

"A lot has been happening in New Zealand over the past five or six years, and by that I mean improvements in quality and infrastructure as opposed to the way we play. We now have someone responsible for the development of women's football, and having an individual fully focussed on that makes a real difference."

Herdman: We must rise to the challenge

NZ have 19,000 women and girls registered in the sport. We have 400,000.

What's Winners worth to us, anyway? I can't find any details of it on either the CSA website or Winners' site. Nor does it seem to be part of the news cycle back when announced at the end of August 2007.

I doubt it totals a 100k a year if that. The CSA has never had a good handle on how to build its propertys.... shocking really.

What's Winners worth to us, anyway? I can't find any details of it on either the CSA website or Winners' site. Nor does it seem to be part of the news cycle back when announced at the end of August 2007.

Their commitment in 2007 was T-shirts to youth. The WNT in 2007 got zippo out of it and it's doubtful there is still any $ involved for the WNT.

When CBC interviewed the CSA no one off the board would speak. Instead Chris Collie ended up skating on most of the questions on what was being done to find a major sponsor for the WNT.

Put yourself in the place of a sponsor who has seen decades of bad press on the CSA. Then add the ASA saga. Not exactly the association most sponsors would want. I'd love the CSA to prove me wrong and get a major sponsor but their track record speaks for itself purely because of the BOD. The staff is trying hard but the volunteer side has chosen to wear a Albatross Necktie for all to see.

"A lot has been happening in New Zealand... We now have someone responsible for the development of women's football, and having an individual fully focussed on that makes a real difference."

Herdman: We must rise to the challenge

I couldn't agree more. I guess the difference between (super)fans & actvists is a willingness to roll up sleeves to create sustainable solutions. Many fans are content to stay on the sidelines-- cheering or jeering. Few become activists who create avenues for lasting change. Belly-aching is an easy, low-investment path to choose. Innovating takes effort + dedication towards building relationships and problem-solving.

Feeling that "someone responsible for the development of women's football" DOESN'T HAVE TO BE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE CSA kinda leaves me on the fringes of the group who suggest that the best solutions lie within sport organization reform. While there's nothing patently wrong with focusing on sport governance reform, myopia that ignores human nature may lead to chaos and more wandering in the desert. Perhaps living in Alberta, where there isn't a single indoor space that allows 11 v 11 play, slants my perspective on corruption in CDN soccer governance. But it seems to be a bit of a Medusa--cut down one snake and another grows into its place. I say, let them continue to exist and operate around them. In a time of recession, building businesses that answer the call / needs of CDNS is a good thing. We should try.

Well stated StrandOne and Vic :-)

IMO he best thing about change/reform in the sports model where it involves governance and development is that change/reform can start anywhere and anytime in the system. The ASA saga was a good example of governance change/reform at a provincial level by the grassroots of the system. The new HPL in BC is a good example of development change/reform at a provincial level by the grassroots of the system. Both of these changes/reform where brought about by a need to change to further the sport on the inside of the system.

Changes from the outside are really, really important as the inside doesn't have a copyright on everything when it comes to change/reform as they are restricted by their resourcefulness. Hence those outside of the system can prove to be very valuable no matter what they bring as they have rolled up their sleeves and answer the call. Good example was the families and friends of the U17 team that had to raise their own money to be competitive at their WC. They battled with the CSA to raise funds outside of the system and they did it where the CSA couldn't. That was a awesome job by all involved.

Change/reform in Canadian soccer is needed as the system is a structure like a body with a broken skeleton. It flops all over the place and doesn't function properly due to multiple levels of serfdoms. Sure a overall body cast change is important but what is more important is starting change/reform anywhere in the system that benefits that area. Hopefully as each little cast is removed the overall structure will be healed and new.

Small little battles by people inside and outside the system like Vic, Tyler(RAS site), Strandone, the CSN boys, Jason De Vos, many other and especially the huge sacrifice by the WNT families all contribute to change/reform at some level in the system or structure. Like life's journeys, it's better to start somewhere at sometime than not to start at all.

I couldn't agree more. I guess the difference between (super)fans & actvists is a willingness to roll up sleeves to create sustainable solutions. Many fans are content to stay on the sidelines-- cheering or jeering. Few become activists who create avenues for lasting change. Belly-aching is an easy, low-investment path to choose. Innovating takes effort + dedication towards building relationships and problem-solving.

Feeling that "someone responsible for the development of women's football" DOESN'T HAVE TO BE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE CSA kinda leaves me on the fringes of the group who suggest that the best solutions lie within sport organization reform. While there's nothing patently wrong with focusing on sport governance reform, myopia that ignores human nature may lead to chaos and more wandering in the desert. Perhaps living in Alberta, where there isn't a single indoor space that allows 11 v 11 play, slants my perspective on corruption in CDN soccer governance. But it seems to be a bit of a Medusa--cut down one snake and another grows into its place. I say, let them continue to exist and operate around them. In a time of recession, building businesses that answer the call / needs of CDNS is a good thing. We should try.

Your comment on indoor fields for 11v11 is so apt. Saskatoon, a city 1/4 the size of Calgary blessed with a great full sized indoor facility while Calgary and Edmonton can't do anything more than boarded, with the exception of one 7v7 boardless field building owned by Edmonton's Victoria Soccer club. There should be 4 full sized facilities in both cities minimum, what a waste!

How many cities in Canada have an indoor facility that can be used by youth soccer to field 11 vs 11 games?
Ottawa has... mmm lets see ..one, two three, four, five, six...then the ones in smaller towns... plus the quebec side... so lots Alberta has been breaking the rules for years with its non fifa game, and hopefully the CSA will bring Mario up on charges with regards to it.. soon.

There's a lot of turf and smaller venues but he said 11v11 indoor which I believe means just LRD, the two SuperDomes and the Coliseum in Ottawa... perhaps another half for Algonquin which isn't quite full-field but close. I don't believe there are any on the Quebec side. That's about one per 225k, about the same as in Saskatoon.

The cost is as important too, because it doesn't matter how many you have if they're priced out of the market. I think only a couple will let you book a full-field in the days during daytime off-hours (the others all having golf). And in prime time all are about $400-$600 for a full-field. That's $1,000 for a 90 minute game including a proper warmup and cooldown. Not many teams/players can afford that. You see a lot of that in Toronto but not in Ottawa yet.

For 11v11 development if you have one venue and it's subsidized and really affordable and means local teams can actually play 90 minute games it's a lot more valuable than a half dozen where they can't.

But I think most people accept winter is about smaller fields and make do and adjust to the economic limitations. The relevant question is probably how many indoor turf venues period where you can wear cleats.

Prov of Quebec has at least 10 that I can think of, and these are permanent indoor 11v11 facilities. And at least another 5 that are "temporary" where an air dome is put over an outdoor turf field during the winters.

The full 11v11 pitches are very rarely used for practices by club teams. Full fields are used basically for Exhibition games amongst club teams. Approx $600 for 90 minutes.There are some Winter youth leagues that are trying to play 11v11 but it is too expensive.

So these fields are mostly used for 7v7 winter leagues or split into 3 or 4 for practice fields.

Prices are comng down however with the increased supply and you are starting to hear of teams renting the full 11v11 fields for weekly practices (before 9 am on weekends for example). We are getting there.

Ottawa has... mmm lets see ..one, two three, four, five, six...then the ones in smaller towns... plus the quebec side... so lots Alberta has been breaking the rules for years with its non fifa game, and hopefully the CSA will bring Mario up on charges with regards to it.. soon.

Mike Traficante was quoted as saying the boarded game is good for the players because it "toughens them up". Apparently getting your head bashed into boards is good for you? To see the "benefits" of the boarded game just go to the Edmonton Minor Soccer Association website. Try to avoid gagging.

http://www.edmontonsoccer.com/benefits

:cool: wow thanks! i'd give it a 6.5/10 but my videos recapping the CAN v CHINA and CAN v SWE games will be MUCH shorter (2 mins max) and i kinda know what i'm doing now so... should be more polished.

but thanks for the kudos. i ♡ RedNation Online. i don't know of many other CDN soccer blogs willing to pay attention to women's soccer. it's all Toronto FC or Whitecaps or MEN'S soccer. i just wish there was more balance in the BLOGGER coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article in the Guardian yesterday on the cost of professionalism versus the value of a national women's league domestically as a development vehicle, as well as Kylla Sjoman.

Women's Super League concerned about influx of foreign internationals

Fears that English youngsters' progress will be restricted

A familiar cry from the Barclays Premier League has started ringing in Super League circles. Though the new league, which is kicking off in April, was formed partly to streamline the development of England players, concerns are being voiced that an influx of foreign internationals could hold back the progress of English youngsters.

The Bristol Academy manager, Mark Sampson, who has just signed the Holland international Anouk Hoogendijk and has two of South Africa's top players on trial, said: "We explored the foreign market after looking at the English option and finding that players of the necessary quality were just not available.

"We spoke to some top [English] clubs about the possibility of signing one or two of their young players on loan but we couldn't get anyone. So when we get into the season there will be some very good young English players sitting on substitutes' benches and not getting enough game time to properly develop their potential."

Chelsea and Doncaster Belles have also imported foreign players while Lincoln have confirmed their intentions of doing likewise after having already turned down the chance to sign two overseas players following trials. The Doncaster manager, John Buckley, whose recent signing include the Swedish defender Maria Karlsson and the Canadian midfielder Kylla Sjoman, said: "I don't want to bring players in at the expense of English girls but, if they're better than what's available to us in this country, then we'll do what's best for our club."

The FA Cup third‑round ties today included a 7-2 trouncing of Portsmouth by the Premier League leaders, Sunderland, whose win avenged their 2-1 League Cup quarter-final defeat at Pompey. Second in the table Reading won 5-3 at Gillingham while third-placed Nottingham Forest beat Leicester City 4-2. In the only all‑Premier League clash Blackburn beat Leeds on penalties after the tie had ended goalless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/06/super-league-womens-football

Interesting article on soccer in China, with some interesting specifics on the women's game.

Soccer is China's No. 1 spectator sport

Xu wrote the success of the women’s team “only makes matters worse for the country’s pouting men. If the Chinese could win and prove their manhood in the 1930s? And why are China’s men less impressive on the field than its women?...Some pundits have pontificated that we’re going through an era of yin, or femininity, and have wondered what’s wrong with our yang.”

Unable to afford custom-made uniforms, the Chinese team in 1999 wore men's uniforms. They defeated Norway 5-0 in the semifinal. Midlfielder Sun Wen scored two goals. In the finals the United States won after American goal keeper punched away one of the Chinese penalty kicks after wandering far from her line. In Beijing, authorities were worried about anti-American demonstrations. A busload of police was posted at the U.S. Embassy.

The Chinese women's soccer team did not get nearly as much support from their homeland as the American team did. Most Chinese soccer fans prefer men's soccer over women's soccer and feel the success of the women's team only makes the men's team seem worse.

In the 2003 Women’s World Cup, China exited in the quarterfinals when they were defeated by Canada 1-0. Some regard the game as one of the biggest upsets ever in women’s soccer. Before 2003, Canada had never won a World Cup game. China was ranked forth the world. It was supposed to host the tournament, but it was moved to the United States because of the SARS epidemic.

Top players on the national team can earn more than $25,000 a year. Average players earn around $10,000. Many players save as much of their salary as they can to help their brothers attend university or pay for a proper wedding.

Players on the women's national team wake up at 7:30am and have two slices of bread with butter and an egg, sometimes with a little beef or vegetables for breakfast. After a morning briefing practice begins at 10:00am and ends around noon, followed by a bath, a quick nap and lunch. After lunch there is another briefing and another practice session from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Then it's dinner and a session with massage therapists. There are many rules and regulations, including no cell phones or computers except for a short period in the evening.

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/ent2615.html

That's too bad, I'd definitely budget money for tailoring them then. And I'd also definitely budget money for a stylist in Germany and any other major tournament where there's global broadcasting.

And on the bright side, they get jam on their bread and can tweet at night.

Too funny. Ahhh the price of being 5'0" and shopping in the girls department.

That would be from the Olympics and it looks like everyone found something to fit them perfectly. And if you're going to get tailoring, Hong Kong and China are the best places on the planet to get it done world class and cheap. And it looks like we should have given the Argentinians the number of whoever we used.

400_soccer_beijing1_080806.jpg

That was a great cut because the length made it almost impossible to have an opponent grab your jersey without it being flagrantly obvious.

Our boys and girls provincial teams go through the same thing, only they don't get the tailoring and end up McGyvering their shirts and track pants into knots to keep them from falling up/down.

One of the rites of the game is the psychological jockeying for position and debating the day a box of uniforms is opened. It's PokerStars, the Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal all rolled into one. If this was a caption contest, I'd go with "I got a medium!"

610x.jpg

Well stated and uni day was always one of my faves with my females teams. They are quite different on that day then the males. I've often wondered if one of the reasons we have female only clubs is because they will order the uniforms for fitting females ;-)

From my understanding the final Olympic uniforms came from the COC as the uniforms had to have the COC logo on them. Hence the WNT got asked what they wanted vs take this and shut up. To date the Olympic uniforms they got are IMO the best kit they have had in fit and design for the hot weather.

Archived