Chad Barrett Traded

yomurphy1

Despite struggling with injuries and missing training camp, Barrett had the same strike rate as DeRo this year (goals per minutes in all competitions) and he doesn't take FK and PK. I think this might be a mistake for TFC unless they can find a better option.

Did I miss something or Chad was one of the bad apples with TFC? DeRo on the other hand might not be the best player in term of team chemistry with his antics.

I don't think that's in question. I was thinking earlier today of when it was did all the locker room cancer talk come out? Was that there in the first two years? I forget.

With respect to Barrett, I'd get annoyed playing with someone who remonstrates as much as he does. Everytime something doesn't go his way he throws his arms up in the air and starts chirping.

There was a rift between Canadian and American players and rumour is that Barrett was involved...but i have never heard a confirmation of that.

I think it's pretty obvious that Barrett does not play the game with the same style that Winter is going to want it to be played, therefore he's out. Too bad because he's one of the few guys we had on the roster that can score. We better find a replacement for his production or we're going to suck big time next year.

Barrett was a very poor finisher in 1 v 1 against the keeper. The difference between him and DeRo is that he played as forward every match and although Barret had a similar ratio of goals per minutes played than DeRo, the fact is he scored 1 goal after missing 4-6 clear chances to score. I say good riddance.

Barrett was a very poor finisher in 1 v 1 against the keeper. The difference between him and DeRo is that he played as forward every match and although Barret had a similar ratio of goals per minutes played than DeRo, the fact is he scored 1 goal after missing 4-6 clear chances to score. I say good riddance.

The 2009 Barrett was frustrating to watch because of the missed chances but the 2010 Barrett was much more effective. 10 goals in 21 games is an excellent ratio TBH.

Yeah, he wasn't gonna fit into Winter's plan which will probably have a 4-3-3 type formation, with the 3 front men being able to basically intermittently criss-cross positions. Though with Lindsey out now, seems all 3 of those spots are still empty, Maicon could possibly fill one of the spots for half the time.

Will be interesting to see who Winter targets to replace the players that have left or are on there way out. I'd love to see him go after a guy like Edgar Manucharyan, or a Loan for one of the youth wingers at Jong Ajax like Zeegelar, Ozlibitz, Josefzoon, Suk, or Bonevicia.

Chad could finish from distance and was a hard worker - but his lack of technical skills and ball control (or ball-coralling in his case) was something that I found a lot of people in the stands singled out as being a problem, and perhaps it is not a surprise that the Dutch contingent (who tend to be known for their technical skills) should ship him out at his particular price tag.

It does leave us awfully thin up front at the moment - we'll need more than just Ornoch signing (assuming that happens) and the new Ecuadoran kid they just drafted (assuming he's any good) to compensate, especially with Lindsay out for the year as well.

Chad Barrett is a Johnston/Carver type player who chases down every lost cause and gives the proverbial 110% etc. There was absolutely no way he was gong to fit into anything even vaguely resembling Ajax's style which is all about intelligently maintaining possession rather than impersonating a headless chicken with forwards trying to set up wall passes for midfielders at the top of the box as often as they look for the perfectly weighted defence splitting pass from a midfielder that sends them in on goal. He was always going to be headed for the exit eventually. The danger is that Winter and co do a Preki and leave themselves with too much to do all at once in terms of finding replacements of sufficient quality.

An indication of just how badly Winter wanted rid of Chad Barrett is that TFC are reported by Ives Galarcep to still be on the hook for part of his salary:

http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/statuses/25690212503920640

Just noticed Toronto FC drafted both Joao Plata & Matt Gold. Silver & Gold? They'll need both after eating Chad Barrett's salary in LA deal

I agree, why does it seem we're constantly dumping players for nothing? Didn't any other team want to give up anything for a 7 goal scorer?

edit: I thought he had 9 goals, turns out it's only 7 league goals...he did have a bunch of NCC/CCL goals though...

Archived