CSL: London City holding press conference

http://londoncity.ca/news2.php?news_id=360842

From the Article:

This event will be held at The Scot's Corner, 268 Dundas Street, London, Ontario.

All London City fans, sponsors, players, staff, London media agencies and the general community are invited to come and listen about professional soccer in London taking another major step forward.

There will be several announcements including; a new development system for soccer in London, Ontario that has been put in place for the 2011 season, the introduction of City's 2011 Captain, the presentation of the 2010 Harry Paul Gauss award and much more!

Not only am I excited to hear the results of this conference, but I actually get to attend a press conference for the first time ever! :)

Out of curiosity, if I were to bring a little equipment down and get a video interview with the GM, coach, and/or captain, could I post a Youtube video in this thread here, and would that be appropriate Voyageur's board ettiquette?

http://londoncity.ca/news2.php?news_id=360842

From the Article:

This event will be held at The Scot's Corner, 268 Dundas Street, London, Ontario.

All London City fans, sponsors, players, staff, London media agencies and the general community are invited to come and listen about professional soccer in London taking another major step forward.

There will be several announcements including; a new development system for soccer in London, Ontario that has been put in place for the 2011 season, the introduction of City's 2011 Captain, the presentation of the 2010 Harry Paul Gauss award and much more!

Not only am I excited to hear the results of this conference, but I actually get to attend a press conference for the first time ever! :)

Out of curiosity, if I were to bring a little equipment down and get a video interview with the GM, coach, and/or captain, could I post a Youtube video in this thread here, and would that be appropriate Voyageur's board ettiquette?

I think it would be fine, since this thread is already started you wouldn't have waste a thread just for a video and it'll obviously be on topic to this thread.

I think it would be fine, since this thread is already started you wouldn't have waste a thread just for a video and it'll obviously be on topic to this thread.

I thought I might ask real quick since the whole thing feels a little up-in-the-air with the big poll on blog-dumping/posting on these boards. In all likeihood at this point however, it will probably just be an audio interview with a bunch of images and *possibly* subtitles.

I thought I might ask real quick since the whole thing feels a little up-in-the-air with the big poll on blog-dumping/posting on these boards. In all likeihood at this point however, it will probably just be an audio interview with a bunch of images and *possibly* subtitles.

There is no problem with that in the least as you are not promoting some other site by posting a video on our site, just providing information of interest.

Great news! :D

LondonCity1973 Press Conference one week from today at The Scot's Corner 230pm

RedcoatsForever @LondonCity1973 Would it be possible to get a brief interview after the presser to post on the Voyageur's website?

about 10 hours ago via web in reply to LondonCity1973

Delete .

LondonCity1973 @RedcoatsForever that would not be a problem at all.

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to RedcoatsForever

Reply Retweet .

We are go for news!

Okay, so, I've decided I'll be starting off with some general CSL questions, and then getting into the particulars for London City.

SO:

If anybody on here has questions about the CSL's 2011 season that they want me to ask in the interview, please post them here and let me know it's a question for the interview and not just general discussion for the board.

Thanks!

It's a positive that City are making more an effort to reach out to people like this and it wouldn't be fair to expect you to ask the really awkward question about ownership issues in the CSL that would normally be directed towards the league commissioner so a few obvious and relatively non-controversial questions would be:

Are there any plans for a challenge game against FC London this summer similar to the City vs Lasers game in 1990?

Can we expect more teams to join from southwestern Ontario over the next few years from cities like Windsor and Sarnia and a western division to eventually emerge for teams based outside of the GTA or is the league more likely to consolidate at its present number of teams in an Ontario context?

Do you have any plans for a futsal team to play during the winter months?

When can we expect to see City in the CSL's playoffs?

It's a positive that City are making more an effort to reach out to people like this and it wouldn't be fair to expect you to ask the really awkward question about ownership issues in the CSL that would normally be directed towards the league commissioner so a few obvious and relatively non-controversial questions would be:

Are there any plans for a challenge game against FC London this summer similar to the City vs Lasers game in 1990?

Can we expect more teams to join from southwestern Ontario over the next few years from cities like Windsor and Sarnia and a western division to eventually emerge for teams based outside of the GTA or is the league more likely to consolidate at its present number of teams in an Ontario context?

Do you have any plans for a futsal team to play during the winter months?

When can we expect to see City in the CSL's playoffs?

Excellent questions, I've decided to include all buy one, with a bit of minor rephrasing, as I expect to be pressed for time. There will of course be REAL journalists in attendace, after all. :rolleyes:

will the CSL be appointing a new commissioner for 2011

what new teams have joined the CSL for 2011? as it has been somewhat quiet on the CSL website, one would think with new teams there would be a lot of promotion

are all the teams returning from last year? has any team moved location? Has Brampton changed ownership again?

What different direction is LC taking this season? do they have a reserve team? what is their target for the season, to make the play-offs or compete for the league

Excellent questions, I've decided to include all buy one, with a bit of minor rephrasing, as I expect to be pressed for time. There will of course be REAL journalists in attendace, after all. :rolleyes:

In London and for soccer? :) Somebody like Kathy Rumleski or Morris Dalla Costa from the Free Press will no doubt make an appearance given the Scots Corner is a relatively short stroll for them but there would need to be something highly significant involved before TV and especially radio are likely to be there. Kevin Zimmerman signing seemed to be the big thing last season so maybe City have something like that lined up again.

Alright: Bad news about the video of the interview; it doesn't work. Now, the important thing is I have a summation of the info learned at today's press conference.

London City have appointed Michael Marcoccia as their new captain, the club is no longer for sale, they are establishing a reserve team in the CSL-2 with London United slated to run it, London United as a club in itself is now going to be functioning as an academy for LCSC. The reserve team is U-23 with five overage spots available, City have also pledged to ensure that all reserves are called up to the men's team at some point, and that some reserves will be in the men's roster every game.

London City have several new sponsorships, and from the sound of the coming season are in excellent financial condition. Former Albanian international Luka Shaqirri is going to be head coach of the first team again. On a personal note, not in interview format, I asked about a stadium smoking policy and Ryan Gauss has brought it up to the board of the German Canadian Club, as they own the grounds. They should have a policy soon. Didn't get to ask about a friendly with Forest City London.

Pino Jazbec was in attendance :eek: and let me tell you the following: big announcements coming soon on the new CSL website with more regular updates for the league in general. Among the announcements, Ottawa and Windsor are returning with new ownership, no word on Pickering, but Mississauga and Kitchener appear to have sealed the deal.

The new website is http://www.canadiansoccerleague.com/.

Anyhow, that's all I've got, I'll add more later if there's something I missed.

Interesting, terrible as their records been, they really play hard and it would be nice to see them do well, hopefully all this development plans will pay off for them eventually. Good job getting this all done too eh

Says the Astros fan. :P

I kid, I kid.

It's too bad we might not be in the same division anymore, but such is life. Maybe someday when an all-Canuck second division emerges, eh?

London City have appointed Michael Marcoccia as their new captain, the club is no longer for sale, they are establishing a reserve team in the CSL-2 with London United slated to run it, London United as a club in itself is now going to be functioning as an academy for LCSC. The reserve team is U-23 with five overage spots available, City have also pledged to ensure that all reserves are called up to the men's team at some point, and that some reserves will be in the men's roster every game.

That probably ties in with Aldo Caranci of the Gryphons being on the new BoD. London United obviously see games against TFC Academy U16 as being the way to be London's elite youth club.

Pino Jazbec was in attendance :eek: and let me tell you the following: big announcements coming soon on the new CSL website with more regular updates for the league in general. Among the announcements, Ottawa and Windsor are returning with new ownership, no word on Pickering, but Mississauga and Kitchener appear to have sealed the deal.

Windsor Croatia? :)

It was Morris Dalla Costa rather than Kathy Rumleski who made the stroll to the press conference apparently:

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/20/16971116.html

Meanwhile FC London are talking about having an Academy as well:

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/20/16968636.html

with North London being the youth club involved. They used to have a tie in with City a few years ago but eventually there was an acrimonious parting of the ways. Having competition between the two rival setups is probably no bad thing as a monopoly usually leads to complacency and a decline in standards over time.

It was Morris Dalla Costa rather than Kathy Rumleski who made the stroll to the press conference apparently:

There were actually members of several news outlets, I saw a guy from CJBK, several others with pads of paper, Morris Dalla Costa of course, and then there were a bunch of sponsors. It was a very formal sort of deal. I have a picture that I have to load off of my camera and I'll post it here. Frankly all the real journalists were a little intimidating to be around. I was expecting two, maybe three other people, and some fans. It was a very official event.

with North London being the youth club involved. They used to have a tie in with City a few years ago but eventually there was an acrimonious parting of the ways. Having competition between the two rival setups is probably no bad thing as a monopoly usually leads to complacency and a decline in standards over time.

City certainly seem to be fighting to stay relevant since FC London showed up. The good news from my perspective is that it looks like they're going to do pretty well, only time will tell but I would rather see London City become a CSL contender than simply waste away like the Borderstars did.

The new website is http://www.canadiansoccerleague.com/.

Anyhow, that's all I've got, I'll add more later if there's something I missed.

That website has existed for a while now. As far back as the beginning of last season iirc. By 'new website' does that mean they'll be changing the look of it?

Can we expect an official presentation of the new teams like the expansion teams from last year had.

Hoping for an improvement in PR & communication compared to previous seasons.

That website has existed for a while now. As far back as the beginning of last season iirc. By 'new website' does that mean they'll be changing the look of it?

Can we expect an official presentation of the new teams like the expansion teams from last year had.

Hoping for an improvement in PR & communication compared to previous seasons.

Yes, I don't think anybody hadn't seen the "new website" at this point, the bit thing is they'll be using the new .com address primarily and the .ca address less. I assume official presentations are in the cards, Jazbec said big announcements in the next week and beyond. Furthermore, the PR and communications front seems likely to improve, I heard him telling a reporter that they intend to be updating the website with much more frequency. "New stories every other day" were the exact words I heard from his mouth.

Archived