Will Johnson re-signs with RSL through 2014

jpg75

Good. He's on a stronger side in MLS, getting regular minutes and playing a key role. He's one of the guys that the league will be benchmarked against within the next five years, as the salary cap doubles. He'll turn into a run of the mill player in the league if he doesn't develop more (doubtful that he won't) but he'll still be a week in, week out regular nonetheless.

Last year he was making $76,320.00 as a base and was guaranteed $89,891.43 with bonuses according to MLSPU. I would assume based on the remark that he was on a "low salary" that he has been given a decent raise - perhaps doubled?

BTW, Johnsons' first contract is a pretty good watermark for what Ornoch is probably going to be offered to sign with TFC...

I have no complaints about this. He is an example of a guy playing at the "proper" level, in two ways. Firstly, he is playing an important member of the team and is a regular. Secondly, his skill set is suited for this league.

Julian, while in my opinion (and most on this board I would imagine) is a better player than Will, he also doesn't have the same success. He should be playing in not only a better league but a league more suitable to his game.

Anyways, congrats to Will!

I think it's good that Will has re-signed with RSL. He provides options to the National team on a more local level (Domestic league) and it's also nice to see he's a Canadian playing in the league but not on a Canadian team. Success in the future will breed from TFC, Vancouver and Montreal, but overall, they need to have players elsewhere in this league too.

Archived