Really annoying trend in Soccer...

jpoma

Why is it every time there is a goal scored, you will more than likely see a defender put up their hand to call for an offside? As a viewer, it drives me mad. It's as though they're trying to lay blame (sometimes desperately) on the ref even though it's (usually) their own fault.

It never used to be this way, but now, it's on every goal where it's close. In a draconian way, I wish the refs would give card to those who keep putting their hands up all the time.

I'll add the ever present hands up when a ball goes over the touch line. Last weekend in one of the many games I was watching on TV, I even saw a player who tackled the ball cleanly out not even close to the dribbler, stick his hand up. Of course so did every other player on both teams in the vicinity. It looks ridiculous and irritates me just as much as every time a ball hits someone in the chest, all you can hear is "HANDBALL".

Yes, it is very annoying although it is not a new trend; players have been doing it for as long as I can remember. It is normally accompanied with a yell of "our ball!".

On the topic of annoying trends, one of my personal pet peeves is players who rip off their shirts when they score a goal.

I must be getting old, I can actually remember when players only raised their hands and shouted on outs that would be considered contestable. Nowadays it's every ball almost. I totally agree on the shirt off thing, not only looks stupid but causes an unnecessary caution to the player.

I forget which game i was watching (was about 1 or 2 months ago) where a player scored a goal and took his shirt off and was given his second yellow of the match. He had just given his team a 2 goal lead but there was atleast 10-15 minutes left! Idiot.

Archived