Stephen Hart on Full-Time Sunday on TEAM 1040 / Junior Hoilett

Full-Time

Steven Vittoria? Can never hurt to have some depth at centre back, even if he is only in the Portugeese second division

Meh. There is a finite amount of time on the calendar and the CSA has a budget. I'd rather they spent it chasing difference makers on trips like these.

it would be great to have a squad of 20 guys with maple leaves tatooed on their chests but that simply isnt the reality for most countries in international football...all nations chase players....even the best ones....our talent pool is so shallow that we can not afford to be different....we need the best players we can get, period....if that means our coach has to meet with them in person and convince them, so be it.

if we lose players to bosnia and jamaica because their FA's were more aggressive or because we want players to come to us for some moral reason, we will continue to lose much more than we gain.....im afraid that good players are in the position of strength, not the 80th ranked national team.....we cant afford to take an 'in or out' position.

if hart can convince hoilett or JDG2 to come on board, i would welcome them with open arms....even if they replace someone who has committed to the team through thick and thin....competitiion and depth improves the level of play....

My point is these guys have been contacted by Hart in person, they know he wants them to play for us, what more can he do? I don't have a problem with him meeting up in person with them if he is in Europe/Britain for CMNT duties already but I think phone calls would be just as effective at this point! To make a specific trip to try to convince guys who have no intention of playing for us IMHO is a waste of time and money!

Great interview. You could hear the frustration in Hart's voice about certain players. Look, this is a work in progress and I think we as fans are fooling ourselves if we think it's going to be a quick fix. While Hart is hoping for WCQ in 2014, I think a more realistic shot is 2018 when the MLS will have 3 Canadian teams and by that point one would think some home grown players. Plus, you're always going to have some Canadians playing abroad that you can also build on. Would Jonathan de Guzman make a difference on his own? No, because you would still have a front line who is having trouble scoring goals. A goalkeeping position with no standout and a piece together back line of guys that may or may not play. I think de Guzman and to a lesser extent Hoilett are more examples... get one of them onboard and perhaps other guys that are waffling on committing may decide to join the program. But believe me, it ain't going to be a quick fix.

Meh. There is a finite amount of time on the calendar and the CSA has a budget. I'd rather they spent it chasing difference makers on trips like these.

True, I could care either way about that guy anyway. I forgot JDG2 team isn't on the Spanish mainland, so going to Portugal is too expensive to convince a second tier guy who will probably ask to play for Canada in a year or two. I will go out on a limb and state there might be someone we never heard of ala Milan Borjan that he might meet with as well. There isn’t anything behind it just a feeling.

Vittoria was called to the Olympic camp in 2008 but was ineligible and now that he is again I would like the CSA to make an example of him. This guy cost himself a senior international spot when he played for Portugal IN OUR COUNTRY and I guarantee you if he still had a remote chance of playing for Portugal he wouldn't play for Canada.

I'd be surprised if he's going after the portugese kid, not really playing at a high level and in his mid 20s already. I think someone like Ethan Gage should get a call before him.

Ethan Gage? Have you been in a cave for the past year? He looks to not be in the plans for the Caps, let alone the MNT.

Ethan Gage? Have you been in a cave for the past year? He looks to not be in the plans for the Caps, let alone the MNT.

I haven't been in a cage this year yet but I might be willing to volunteer for this duty if a recently retired women's national team player were toi join me! :)

Ya, I came out of my cave long enough to see him win the u-20 player of the year 2 weeks ago though.

He has been playing with the first team for 3 years and he's 19. Just because the caps decided that lining their roster with second rate mid 20s Americans is the way to go doesn't mean the kid is a writeoff. ****ing sucks for his chances of ever having a career in the bright lights of the Icelandic premier league though.

Team 1040 has done it again! Look forward to your interview with JDG2 on Jan 16th. It's also encouraging to hear that Hart is going to see him in Europe when the CMNT travels to Greece.

January 16th... where? what? when? details?

TEAM Radio News Headlines 13 Jan 2011

Jonathan de Guzman joins Full-Time on Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jonathan de Guzman, Mallorca midfielder and potential Canadian international?, will join Full-Time: Vancouver’s Soccer Show on TEAM 1040 this Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 9pm PT.

Full-Time is continuing to focus on the Canadian Men’s National Team and potential recruits following interviews with potential Canadian squad member Junior Hoilett and head coach Stephen Hart.

Hoilett told Full-Time that at this point he was still undecided on his international future. Meanwhile, Stephen Hart told Full-Time on the January 9th, 2011 show that he is going to go and meet with Jonathan de Guzman, among other players, when he goes to Europe for the Canada friendly against Greece in February.

Will Hart be successful in his pitch? Is Hart wasting his time? What does de Guzman think? Will de Guzman commit to the Canadian National Team? Find out Sunday on Full-Time!

Plus Paul Dolan, Canadian National Men’s Goalkeeping Coach, will join Full-Time for his first visit of what will be a monthly series. We’ll also catch up with Whitecaps FC 1st round picks Omar Salgado and Michael Nanchoff and round off the show with Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi.

I asked the same question awhile back and someone pointed out: Marcel DeJong!

And even then, Marcel had already played for us at the U17 and U20 level and then started to reconsider his options after the Dutch U21 side came sniffing around when he started to shine in the Eredivisie at a young age.

Blackburn certainly lists him as a striker, last Blackburn game I saw he was well forward (albeit coming in from the wing).

Hoilett has been playing a wide forward role, not a central striker role.

And i doubt he'd be easily displaced after two solid appearances. Granted he hasn't solidified his spot yet, but if he keeps putting in good performances he'll be a regular.

Archived