Stephen Hart on Full-Time Sunday on TEAM 1040 / Junior Hoilett

Full-Time

Canadian Men's National Team head coach Stephen Hart will join Tyler Green and Mike Martignago on Full-Time: The Soccer Show on Sunday at 9pm PT on TEAM 1040 Radio in Vancouver.

Details at the link: http://fulltimethesoccershow.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-time-vancouvers-soccer-show.html

Last week Full-Time caught up with David Hoilett Jr. Junior was once again non-committal on whether he would play for Canada internationally.

Details on that interview at the link: http://fulltimethesoccershow.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-2-2011-podcast.html

Hoilett told us he has spoken to Hart and Stephen Hart has confirmed that on prior interviews. The bigger question is how long before the Texting and talking turns to confirmed attendance for Canada (Hoilett is still not totally committed) and how long does Hart keep asking?

With Junior I see a big problem as it looks to me like if was going to be joining the squad at all, he would be one of those guys who wants to play a couple of warm-ups, not deal at all with the headache friendlies or the annoying Gold Cup at all, and then jump right into, let's say, the second stage of WCQ.

I worry that Hart might be willing to accommodate such an approach, especially as he would then be taking the job from a Simpson or Jackson (depending on which wing they use him down) or a Will Johnson, guys who have done so much sacrificing for Canada along the way. Not to mention the lack of familiarity with the team and the message that it would send to the others. Pure speculation but that is how it seems to be shaping up from my point-of-view.

Will/should Canada be willing to re-shape expectations of squad members depending on how good a player is?

With Junior I see a big problem as it looks to me like if was going to be joining the squad at all, he would be one of those guys who wants to play a couple of warm-ups, not deal at all with the headache friendlies or the annoying Gold Cup at all, and then jump right into, let's say, the second stage of WCQ.

I worry that Hart might be willing to accommodate such an approach, especially as he would then be taking the job from a Simpson or Jackson (depending on which wing they use him down) or a Will Johnson, guys who have done so much sacrificing for Canada along the way. Not to mention the lack of familiarity with the team and the message that it would send to the others. Pure speculation but that is how it seems to be shaping up from my point-of-view.

Will/should Canada be willing to re-shape expectations of squad members depending on how good a player is?

I'm fine with that as long as he appears when the team truly needs him for WCQ. Personally I just want to see us qualify by any means necessary and so skipping a home and away against Belize or a random friendly in Belarus doesn't burn me. That's not to say I don't admire those who commit fully and sacrifice for the program, but it's not uncommon in many industries to offer preferential terms to top talent.

I think the whole program needs a high profile guy to commit right now. Hopefully the provincial associations continuing to disrupt CSA reformation in the name of maintaining their little fiefdoms don't discourage players like Hoilett from doing that.

I'm fine with that as long as he appears when the team truly needs him for WCQ. Personally I just want to see us qualify by any means necessary and so skipping a home and away against Belize or a random friendly in Belarus doesn't burn me. That's not to say I don't admire those who commit fully and sacrifice for the program, but it's not uncommon in many industries to offer preferential terms to top talent.

If he makes his commitment to the program, that will be terrific. But if he makes his commitment under such preferential conditions, then that's going to bite us in the *ss, as far as I'm concerned.

Why not deal with the Gold Cup? It's during his off season for crying out loud.

Full-Time caught up with Canadian Mens National Team head coach Stephen Hart on the program on Sunday, January 9th.

Hart covered a number of things, including the outlook for 2011, what kind of squad he’ll put together for next month’s friendly against Greece, and plenty about some (Hoilett, JDG2) players we could see in the near future.

He’s also got some strong (and by “strong” we mean pretty negative) thoughts about Teal Bunbury playing for the United States.

Details and where to listen

Thanks Full-Time!

Depressing interview really...it seems there's no January camp, so no games against CONCACAF opposition and a missed chance at looking at our NA players. Also, no commitment from Junior or JDG2 and the contract talks for a game in March fell through.....

It sounds like we should expect a Euro roster for the Greece firendly, no surprise there.

When asked about Stalteri, Hart responded, "Well, he's not playing, is he?" but when the time comes we'll see if he's included in the squad or even as a starter. I think he will, on both counts, as well as captain.

I'm thinking that the starters will be the same core vs the Ukraine. Guys like Edgar and Uccello, though in the same boat with others lacking first team minutes, should see some playing time in this one. JBB might get another start.

His tone during his discussion of Bunbury was noticeably bitter. In fact, for most of the interview he seemed to have an air of frustration. I sense that he really wants a March friendly with his best candidates (NA and Euro) all available.

I wonder if there is another opition for Holiett, not to play internationally at all? I mean when you look at it, there isn't anything to be gained playing for Canada or Jamaica and he might not be good enough for England. If Canada or Jamaica goes to the World Cup he will probably play then, but other than that I think he has no interest in playing.

I wonder if there is another opition for Holiett, not to play internationally at all? I mean when you look at it, there isn't anything to be gained playing for Canada or Jamaica and he might not be good enough for England. If Canada or Jamaica goes to the World Cup he will probably play then, but other than that I think he has no interest in playing.

He's only 20 we'll see eventually he'll come to a point where international footy will be something missing in his career

who might be the fence sitters?

Hoillett, JDG2,????

Steven Vittoria? Can never hurt to have some depth at centre back, even if he is only in the Portugeese second division

Milan Borjan? I assume this might be the first time they meet in person.

Maybe some unknown we haven't heard of too

These guys should want to represent their country, we don't need Hart going over and begging anyone to play for us, either thy're in or they're out! His time would be better spent scouting players who are on board!

it would be great to have a squad of 20 guys with maple leaves tatooed on their chests but that simply isnt the reality for most countries in international football...all nations chase players....even the best ones....our talent pool is so shallow that we can not afford to be different....we need the best players we can get, period....if that means our coach has to meet with them in person and convince them, so be it.

if we lose players to bosnia and jamaica because their FA's were more aggressive or because we want players to come to us for some moral reason, we will continue to lose much more than we gain.....im afraid that good players are in the position of strength, not the 80th ranked national team.....we cant afford to take an 'in or out' position.

if hart can convince hoilett or JDG2 to come on board, i would welcome them with open arms....even if they replace someone who has committed to the team through thick and thin....competitiion and depth improves the level of play....

it would be great to have a squad of 20 guys with maple leaves tatooed on their chests but that simply isnt the reality for most countries in international football...all nations chase players....even the best ones....our talent pool is so shallow that we can not afford to be different....we need the best players we can get, period....if that means our coach has to meet with them in person and convince them, so be it.

I think that's the money statement right there. Hart has had a good chance to assess what he has at his disposal and has determined that he simply doesn't have enough international calibre talent to get us to the next level, hence the ongoing discussions with Hoillet and others. At the moment, there's no depth in way too many positions on the field. If a guy, who's last three competitive matches were spaced between the beginning of September and then near the beginning of October because he's been frozen out at club level, may still be starting for us at RB for the Greece match because he's the best available option, that's pretty grim.

Archived