Articles on national women's players

Vic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little divergent but with great reason. Anyone with even the slightest interest in sport in any way will truly enjoy the entire Wikipedia entry below. It's about a peaceful protest and a moment far beyond any stage of sport that resonated through an entire country.

"If I win, I am American, not a black American. But if I did something bad, then they would say I am a Negro."

On March 3, 2008, in the Detroit Free Press editorial section, an editorial by Orin Starn entitled "Bottom line turns to hollow gold for today's Olympians" lamented the lack of social engagement of modern sports athletes, in contrast to Smith and Carlos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Carlos-Smith.jpg

This came to my emailbox today:

SOCCER WORLD supports the beautiful game and our community:

What? Diana Matheson to do speech, Q&A, Autographs, and Photos

When? THIS Monday March 21, 2011 @ 7:30pm

Where? Soccer World (521 North Service Rd East, Oakville)

How? RSVP to Headoffice@SoccerWorldCentral.com a $10 donation to KSM

RSVP today, space is limited.

Diana Matheson, just returning from victorious play in Cyprus, with the Canadian National team, will share her experiences and passion for the game, at Soccer World in Oakville this upcoming Monday March 21, at 7:30pm. Please email headoffice@SoccerWorldCentral.com to RSVP. Space is limited, register today.

Soccer World is hosting Diana Matheson as a platform to share her experiences with other soccer enthusiasts, and to connect community players and supporters with the National team and World competition.

At the same time, Soccer World and Diana Matheson are supporting the local community by raising funds and awareness for a very active Kerr Street Ministries.

Attendees will hear an inspirational speech; have opportunities for questions, pictures and autographs.

The admission price of $10 will be donated to Kerr Street Ministries .

The first 50 people to register from this email will receive a $10 credit to spend at Soccer World!

Kerr Street Ministries (KSM) helps and gives hope to Oakville's most vulnerable citizens. Serving over 5,000 people, KSM provides holistic support and care particularly for children and youth and low income families.

Some of Diana Matheson’s career highlights include having participated in the 2003 and 2007 World Cups as well as the 2008 Olympic Games. Placing 4th at the 2003 World Cup, and being a part of the first Canadian soccer team to play at the Olympics. Also, recently winning the CONCACAF championship in 2010. Matheson truly is an inspiration to all Canadian athletes.

Not really an article, but an event. If anyone thinks I should post this in a separate thread (or its own thread) just let me know and I'll delete this one.

Three layers of the onion - World Cup, Fatmire Bajramaj, and racism.

Fatmire Bajramaj: football's new face

The former Kosovan refugee is now a star of German women's football

Louise Barnett

The Guardian, Friday 18 March 2011

Fatmire-Bajramaj-007.jpg

Fatmire Bajramaj during a friendly between Germany and Australia in October. Photograph: Lars Kaletta/Bongarts/Getty Images

As memories of South African vuvuzelas and a semi-final defeat to Spain fade, Germany is now gearing up for the next worldwide football tournament in just 100 days – the Fifa Women's World Cup that kicks off in Berlin in June.

Germany are the defending champions, after winning the last two Women's World Cups – and 60,000 tickets have been bought for the Germany v Canada opening match at Berlin's Olympic Stadium on 26 June, setting a new record in advance sales for a women's football match in Europe. Total ticket sales already stand at 550,000 for the 22-day tournament, impressive if still below the 3.4m sold when Germany hosted the men's game in 2006.

The tournament will be beamed into living rooms across Germany and to another 200 countries worldwide – a level of media coverage that is unprecedented for a women's football event, according to Fifa.

All this attention has helped make national stars out of the German team's players. Fatmire "Lira" Bajramaj is one of the best known. The 22-year-old Muslim was born in Kosovo but at the age of four she and her family fled the conflict there for Germany, where she started secretly playing football against her father's wishes. Now playing for Turbine Potsdam, the No 1 team in the women's Bundesliga, Bajramaj has already written a book about her experience called My Goal in Life – from Refugee to World Champion.

Together with national men's team midfielder Mesut Ozil, who is German-born of Turkish descent, she is held up as an example of racial integration in sport. In an interview with CNN a few weeks ago, she said of her childhood: "We did experience quite a lot of racism. I didn't know who these skinheads were with their bomber jackets and their boots. They'd say things to us like: 'Go back to where you came from, you don't belong here.'"

Now she says she has won respect for her soccer skills. "I grew up here, this is where my family are so it's a bit like a dream, first that the World Cup is here and second that I can be a part of it."

Heike Ullrich, head of women and girls' football at the German Football Association, calls her a "very good role model". Celia Okoyino da Mbabi, a German-born player of French-Cameroonian descent and Hungarian-born Dsjenifer Marozsan are also part of the national team's multicultural face.

"Our players with foreign roots are sometimes more interesting for sponsors and spectators than let's say the 'boring Germans'. And so far, knock on wood, we have not had any problems with racism among spectators," Ullrich adds.

So will the German public get behind this summer's event? More than one million girls and women are currently members of football clubs in Germany – making it one of the sport's fastest growing areas. Yet it was only in 1970 that the German FA decided to support women's football. Two decades later, the women's Bundesliga was founded, and in 1993 its match lengths were increased by 10 minutes to equal men's games.

Meanwhile, at grass-roots level, a German FA campaign to promote football to girls aged seven to 10 years, and forge partnerships between schools and local clubs now has 17,000 participating schools.

Last month, Mattel unveiled Barbie dolls modelled on the German women's team coach Silvia Neid and Birgit Prinz, the team's striker. This is an honour that has only been bestowed on one other German woman – chancellor Angela Merkel. Mattel described the two players as perfect ambassadors for their sport and a role model for many girls.

There is still a long way to go to reach the sort of fame and media attention of the men's team. Ryland James, a football reporter covering Germany, says: "I think most Germans would struggle to name the players in their team at the moment and the amount of coverage they get on TV is very sporadic. There is still the old stigma that the girls can't hit the ball hard enough. But there's a lot more control and more thought in the game so it will be interesting to see how that translates."

The successful men's World Cup hosted in Germany in the long, hot summer of 2006 is now referred to fondly as the "summer fairytale". Does the upcoming women's competition have any hope of following suit?

"Selling out the Olympic Stadium for the first game is an amazing achievement," says James. "This could be the tournament that really pushes women's football forward."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/18/fatmire-bajramaj-football-german-women

• 2 weeks later...

Google Trans

Rome, April 1, 2011 - Determination and fair play. A hug from a very Anglo-Saxon concepts. We could say also Canadian, as we talk about Carolina Morace: "We beat Italy 1-0. But it was my revenge. " For the series let us take off the pebble in the shoe, but gracefully. She is an icon of Italian sports and women's soccer: well 153 appearances for the national team, 105 goals with Italy and more than 505 networks between Lazio, Reggio Emilia, Milan and many other clubs.

Forty-six years, now coaches the national women's soccer in Canada. What first was in disarray, but now is afraid of the big old pink football. Carolina's goal is clear: do well at the World Championships to be held next summer in Germany. Where there will be Italy, but it Morace. Then the coach Venetian will go from Toronto to reach new shores and remove other whims. Also in Canada that does not bind to the chair.

Mister, how's Canadian adventure? "Very well. We are a good group, the girls follow me with great enthusiasm. There are training in Rome to prepare well before the next tournament in the world. We will leave April 19, then let the girls 10 days of discharge. In short, all the big plans, we are very organized. "

It has been two years from his appointment to the bench. What is your budget? "Very good, and say little. I started that we were 13th in the Fifa rankings. Now we are sixth. And we are especially feared by all. This summer we're going to play the World Cup in Germany and their debut against the landlord: adrenaline a thousand, and the result is not granted. "

But remember the less attention the nice story of how he came to coach Canada. "I pointed out the possibility of the Joe Parolini, now part of my staff. I did the first two stages in Canada, then they made me do an interview selective group "

As an interview. In an icon of women's football as Carolina Morace. "(Laughs) Yes, they had little relevance to who I was, what was my resume. I had to support the so-called 'interview' in Vancouver. Eventually I checked myself, but that effort. Maybe they had some doubts with respect to language, but then there was no problem. With girls now the tune is perfect. Also on my staff. "

That there appears to be all Italian. "Yes, we are a team of technicians who know perfectly. I brought my friend Betti Bavagnoli, which is well prepared together with my assistant Andrea Neil. As goalkeeper coach or athletic trainer and as Max Colucci Mario Familari. Serious professionals that have allowed me to teach soccer in a more modern ".

Carolina here, as it is able to transform the results of this team? "Through a specific job. First psychological, then on the training methodology. These little girls believed in themselves. Urged went, convinced and recommended. I found them psychologically grounded and with a slow and painstaking work, along with my staff, we managed to forge a winning team. The second, fundamental, was that of training. They were prepared using methods borrowed from men's sports in force in Canada, such as hockey and baseball. So a lot of physical strength, stamina, running straight based only in power. But it is wrong to want to coach any sport in the same way. We have made a good pace and we have completely changed the training, tarandoli course on football schemes. We have introduced agility, ball possession, un'aerobica done well, psychokinetic. Even the power, leaving totally busted. In short, many concepts that they did not apply for training. Our teamwork, cutting edge, has allowed this team to grow a lot. And I'm proud. "

So we seem to understand that his relationship with the girls is wonderful. "Now you. I have a group of intelligent women who were able to get back into the game. Responded well to the change log. "

But as the calls? In Canada there is a women's league itself. "No, unfortunately not. There are university tournaments, very important, and then the actual recruitment centers where I visiono girls and choose. The first few times it has been difficult, then once you create the group there were more problems, we are young and well blended. It is more difficult to make the squad for Under17 and Under20. In 15-18 years you tend to lose them because they go on to university and studying other ways. Unfortunately at that age are not followed. There are coaches and they do not know the address at the bottom of the game of football. I do not even watch on TV, because sports are more popular in Canada. They have only the MLS, the league American male, but I think it will fail. It 's like the NBA: Trying to get up the players or by name or by university. But there is a decent move that allows the athletes to grow a particular sport. So here, for a girl who wants to play football in Canada there are genuine points of reference. The staff and I are trying to reverse that order of ideas. "

In Italy the movement looks back at year zero. What's happening? "I faced the blue in a tournament in Cyprus and I beat him 1-0. An unexpected result. Not looking for revenge, for the love of God during the anthem I heard the usual, wonderful thrill. For this I am sorry to see Italy out of the World rose. But we pay the illness of a movement that does not draw. "

Yet when she was in the field seemed to be growing. "It was, but it was a transitory period. Now the women's game has come back into oblivion. We invest the club and then not even the media. But how can we compare, for example, England? There are spending millions of pounds for the teams, the match with Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool are always full of spectators. Supercompetitivo have a championship and this has an impact on international competitions. "

Very often, the players end up in the newspapers for unsportsmanlike conduct and attitudes were wrong. Among the women are the same behaviors? "In Italy for sure. We scimmottano women and men. In all areas of work and even in football. In Canada do not. Indeed, I must say that my girl is incredibly disciplined. I listen carefully, are educated, have a great sense of responsibility. Here, these are the right things from other sports who can carry the football. The ball, as advanced in technology and training methods, is still a lot to teach the behavioral level. "

Platini wants more women in charge of sports istuzioni. What do you think? "That would be nice and helpful. The hemisphere of male and female know perfectly integrated. The stock would need a proper inclusion of women in the nerve center. "

She'd become a manager? "I never thought I would not know. Like most of the field. "

Women and the desire to start a family. How important in the women's game these choices? "They record just out of Italy because we, in terms of concepts familiar to us prehistory. In Anglo-Saxon mothers players can leave the children in the nursery during games and are constantly seeking to help society. In Italy oh well, the problem even arises. Sport has an impact on the problem of our society: you do not make more children, families break out of the crisis. It must be said that the campaign / husband of a female soccer player to be understanding and patient. In two all problems are resolved. "

In Italy, he coached the Gaucci of Viterbo in 1999. Controversy and misunderstanding the cost the bench. Do it again? "Yeah, sure. But I think that today would end the same way (exemption after two league games, ndr) "

Do you think it would therefore be circular.

"Sure, why not. But today, as then, no woman has the same chance of a man. It 's still inconceivable that a woman can exercise without having problems. To me, to be honest, most serious proposals were made in Italy to coach both the women's field, both in men. And this is strange to me. Many professionals like me, very prepared, are not called because the favorite characters are sporting media. Perhaps taken from other sports. I think the example of Montali in Juve and Roma, but there are many others. Many connoisseurs of good football for a walk, I can not explain. "

She felt set aside in recent years? "Not really. But it is undeniable that something has changed. I do not even try more on TV, but I know I'm well respected by professionals. I liked sports commentator on television, but also very logical in that area have changed. "

And yet she speaks very well at international level as a technician. "I try to keep updated and a lot of work in the field. Many observers are to study my methods and I am happy. I got the license to Coverciano, have gained so much and I like coaching. So do not miss the grit. "

He said that at the end of the world will leave the German Canada, confirmation? His association did not appear convinced to let her go. "Yes, I have decided. But I do not know what will. I'm talking about ol my staff, we will see what to do. We have had several contacts but nothing concrete. There will be good because I think an important choice. "

The disappointment of Carolina Morace. "I have ever had in Italy the same opportunities as others."

The hope of Carolina Morace. "Winning a medal at the World Cup."

Paolo Rosato

They were prepared using methods borrowed from men's sports in force in Canada, such as hockey and baseball.
Where is johntv when you need him? :)

They have only the MLS, the league American male, but I think it will fail.
Interesting. Perhaps something lost in the translation?

Beckenbauer, Pele, Charlton, and Hooper:

FIFA Task Force Football 2014 members announced

Following a proposal made by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, the FIFA Task Force Football 2014 was approved by the Executive Committee on 29 October 2010. The 22-member think tank comprises representatives from FIFA’s Football, Technical and Development, Medical and Referees Committees and other football experts. Their brief is to carry out an in-depth analysis of the modern game with a view to making proposals designed to improve it at every level.

Chaired by Franz Beckenbauer, with Pele as its deputy chairman, the Task Force will work on areas such as the Laws of the Game, refereeing, competition regulations, women’s football, medical matters and fair play. FIFA.com introduces you to its 22 members.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/news/newsid=1416833.html

Still our most eminently recognized individual by FIFA.

• 2 months later...

Rutgers Women's Soccer Forward Jonelle Filigno Blogs from the World Cup

Hi Everyone! My name is Jonelle Filigno and I play on the Rutgers women's soccer team. I am also a part of the Canadian Women's National Team, heading into the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany in just a week’s time. For the past six months, I've travelled to several places to compete in different tournaments in preparation for the World Cup. Those countries include China, Cyprus, Switzerland, Hungary, and Italy. It's fair to say that I've been living out of a suitcase for half a year.

Rome is where we have been based out of and spent most of our time. I would like to say that within the past six months I've learned more than 'hi,’ 'bye,' and 'how are you' in Italian, but I'd be lying. Although I have not embraced the language, I have learned to love so many different aspects of the Italian culture - the food being my number one choice of course for those who know me. As a matter of fact, I've officially started my own cookbook here in Rome on cooking Italian, so do keep your eyes open for when it hits the RU bookstore later this fall.

It has been a long journey filled with ups and downs, hard work and commitment. I'd like to say it was all worth it for this experience we're about to embark on. The culture here in Italy has helped our team develop a whole new passion for the sport. In spending so much time together, we have gotten stronger on and off the field. We are all excited to see where we stand once that first whistle blows.

Just months ago, the tournament felt like years away, and now to think that we are only a week away blows my mind. To imagine walking out in front of 80,000 people (mostly Germans, as we will be playing the host team in the opening game), plus the many televisions around the world that will be tuned in, is a moment I will never forget. It gives me shivers just thinking about it. Being only 20 years old and the youngest player on the roster, I feel truly blessed for this opportunity to represent Canada and Rutgers at the world stage.

My time at Rutgers has helped me prepare for this amazing journey and the love and support that I have received from my Rutgers family has motivated me daily. My team at Rutgers, including the staff, challenged me daily to want to be the best player that I could be. I am fortunate enough to be here with Karina LeBlanc (former assistant coach at Rutgers). She has been the truest teammate to me with amazing leadership qualities, work ethic and passion, which I know I will bring back to our program. I have always admired her for so many years, first as a player, then as a coach, and now as a teammate. I have learned so much from her as she is one of the veterans with such a great amount of experience. She is about to play in her fourth World Cup (amazing, as she is only the second person in Canadian history to do so. Not very many people in the world can say they've played in four World Cups). When I think about that and I think about the fact that this will be my first, I am so grateful to have a person like that be my 'big sis' and by my side for this opportunity of a lifetime. We talk about the Rutgers program often and how it has been such a huge part of our stories to getting us to this point.

For me, my road hasn't been the easiest. I tore my ACL almost 2 years ago in the first game of what I was hoping to be my first season at Rutgers. I must admit that it was the toughest battle I had to deal with as a player both mentally and physically. Being so far away from my family in Canada, I turned to my Rutgers family. I can honestly say that I don't know if I would be where I am right now if it weren't for their unconditional support.

For Karina, she was also able to overcome difficult injuries with the support of the Rutgers family. What we both appreciate is how much of a family and how dear to our hearts Rutgers is to each of us. On your worst day as a player, you want to know that someone has your back and that is a feeling we both have when it comes to Rutgers. We laugh a lot at our own jokes about (head coach) Glenn (Crooks) and (associate head coach) Mike (O’Neill), especially when they try to play (not quite at the Italian or international level for either of them haha). But on a serious note, I am so grateful to be living my dream with the support that I have around me.

I play for my country, I play for my family, I play for my loved ones, and I play for Rutgers. I am proud to be a Scarlet Knight. Be sure to watch and cheer not only for USA, but for your fellow Canadian Scarlet Knight.

“RUN when you can, WALK when you have to, CRAWL if you must... JUST NEVER GIVE UP!” - Canadian Women's National Team (Our official team motto for the World Cup).

http://www.scarletknights.com/soccer-women/news/release.asp?prID=10537

Richard

I think the answer to "how does the proportion compare with men" is easily answered via a little googling, and is really not part of your otherwise valid questioning.

Women are 2 to 8 times more likely to have ACL injuries based on various studies.

I suspect the burgeoning popularity (meaning spreading the coaching talent thin) and resultant inadequate coach training is probably the key. It's important to recognize the gender-specific risk, though.

There is a gender specific risk. It has to do with what is called, I think the Q angle which has to do with the wider hips women have which creates a greater moment of inertia around the knee in certain movements.

Perhaps there is some physiology people that can shed better light on this.

FIFA.com had a lengthy look at the Differences between men's and women's football today, and it included some very intelligent words from Carolina Morace.

1031839_FULL-LND.jpg

“I found much bigger variations between Italian women and Canadian women than I found between men and women in the same country," she said. "For example, in Italy, the women players are speaking all the time, whereas the Canadians hardly ever do.

"My players have always tried to act professionally, but sometimes this concept of ‘professionalism’ is not always properly understood. It is not about how much money players are paid, but more about how they care for their bodies. When I first came to Canada, we explained to the players the importance of nutrition and a properly thought-out training regime. They had to learn that a rest day is in fact a necessary component of training, that it is about quality rather than quantity. Over here, a lot of the players still labour under the misconception that more is better - it is very much part of the mentality that exists on this side of the world.

"One clear difference that does exist between male and female players across the world is that the males usually start to play football in a serious way much earlier than the females. Even at the age of four or five, boys are often attending football schools and learning the technical and tactical aspects of the game. They are therefore much more prepared than women for the demands of the elite game.

"Men are also faster, of course, and you can see in men’s matches that they have a much higher rate of ball possession. Their running is also more rational because they have that much more experience in the game.

"In the end, though, it is all about being competent regardless of whether you are male or female, particularly from a coaching point of view. I don’t think you need to be a man to coach men or a woman to coach women, with perhaps one exception. When it comes to young female players, I think it helps to have a female coach, because when a woman tells them they can do something it is more credible coming from someone with the same physical attributes.”

Also, this one more of a photo than an article. FIFA.com today also had a small cultural piece on Canadian women's soccer (in German). LINK

1458673_FULL-LND.jpg

Beckenbauer, Pele, Charlton, and Hooper:

FIFA Task Force Football 2014 members announced

Following a proposal made by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, the FIFA Task Force Football 2014 was approved by the Executive Committee on 29 October 2010. The 22-member think tank comprises representatives from FIFA’s Football, Technical and Development, Medical and Referees Committees and other football experts. Their brief is to carry out an in-depth analysis of the modern game with a view to making proposals designed to improve it at every level.

Chaired by Franz Beckenbauer, with Pele as its deputy chairman, the Task Force will work on areas such as the Laws of the Game, refereeing, competition regulations, women’s football, medical matters and fair play. FIFA.com introduces you to its 22 members.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/news/newsid=1416833.html

Still our most eminently recognized individual by FIFA.

Clearly Ms Hooper spends a lot of time cultivating her FIFA connections too. Good for her, but there are plenty of other people just as qualified, it all comes down to networking as we see with FIFA all too often.

Clearly Ms Hooper spends a lot of time cultivating her FIFA connections too. Good for her, but there are plenty of other people just as qualified, it all comes down to networking as we see with FIFA all too often.

Give it a rest old man!

Really? A Canadian on the committee to set the course for the future of football in the world seemed pretty newsworthy to me. Didn't realize I posted it as more than that. I also noticed earlier today that Janine Helland is on the World Cup Committee and put her in my folder of things to post.

You say there are plenty of other people as qualified but women's soccer has only really been what we call popular for 15 years. There is a very, very small number of women with a 20 year career around the world and as many accolades.

Helland_Janine1994www.jpg

Janine Helland (Wood)

Canada's FIFA Committee members:

Sylvie BELIVEAU

- Technical and Development Committee

Janine HELLAND

- Committee for Women's Football and the FIFA Women's World Cup

Charmaine HOOPER

- Football Committee

- FIFA Task Force Football 2014

Dick HOWARD

- Technical and Development Committee

Dominic MAESTRACCI

- Organising Committee for the FIFA U-20 World Cup

I'm sure you could go after them or Andrea Neil, but all would be in similar bad taste.

I've posted on a lot of things this year, including a Utah basketball team, Terry Fox, W League rosters and African grannies. I've probably posted as many times on each of them as well as Lyndon Hooper as on Charmaine Hooper in 2011. The other post of hers I remember was the racism one with the great quote about indirect racism.

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/newsid=1458801

FIFA's Five Facts of the Day about the Women's World Cup on Thursday included Charmaine as the oldest player to score at the event, and included this photo which is too apropos to be random on their part.

1394561_FULL-LND.jpg

Archived