Kara lang retires from NT, soccer

ray

The Canadian Soccer Association will hold a press conference for a Player announcement concerning Canada's Women's National Team on Wednesday 5 January at 13.00 ET (1pm) at the Oakville Soccer Club. Speakers will include Canadian Soccer Association General Secretary Peter Montopoli, Oakville Soccer Club Technical Director Jason de Vos, and members of Canada's women's national team. This is no doubt concerning the Lang retirement and I'll wager she has been hired by the Oakville Soccer Club in some capacity. Oakville is her hometown, the media conference is in Oakville and the Oakville SC Techical Director will speak at the conference.

This is horrendous news. It's true Lang has never lived up to the potential she showed as a 15-year-old and I don't think it was simply due to the injuries. But watching her play for the Whitecaps, it was obvious she was working very hard to improve the weak parts of her game. With her determination, her size, and, of course, That Shot, a weapon any striker would kill for, I had complete faith that Lang would emerge over time as a valuable fixture in the national team.

But to quit at 24? Where is Pat Onstad? Someone needs to take Kara aside and change her mind. 24 is way too young to quit.

I totally agree with Even Pellerud on this. "I don't think women's soccer can afford to lose players like her."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived