Aron Winter new Manager + Technical Director of Toronto FC

SCF08

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New state of the art training facility

Surprised that the MLSE boardroom level approval for $17.5 million funding on that isn't being talked up more by the media along with Winter's comments about not needing the draft because of young Canadian players in the Academy but maybe all the recent hysterics about changes to MLS roster regulations are only really of interest to a select group of people online rather than the general fan base and most people grasp that TFC have a deep and ongoing commitment to developing young Canadian players through TFC Academy so it isn't really newsworthy.

That's pretty awesome if it comes through, I think Winter is gonna have a bead on a lot of Erevidse players, I'd love to see TFC take a run at De Jong as well.

^ If I wanted to get picky, I'd point out the de Jong currently plays in the 2. Bundesliga, not the Eredivisie. But I get your point. He'd certainly be a bigger catch than Ornoch, who never really made the most of his opportunity in the Eerste Divisie (Dutch 2nd tier), a much lower level than what de Jong is playing at. Ornoch has really failed to gain a foothold at any of his pro stops, so I hope he fits in with TFC.

^ If I wanted to get picky, I'd point out the de Jong currently plays in the 2. Bundesliga, not the Eredivisie. But I get your point. He'd certainly be a bigger catch than Ornoch, who never really made the most of his opportunity in the Eerste Divisie (Dutch 2nd tier), a much lower level than what de Jong is playing at. Ornoch has really failed to gain a foothold at any of his pro stops, so I hope he fits in with TFC.

I was reading the RPB forum and saw a couple of people suggesting Ornoch should make around 200-300 K in MLS. Is it me or they are really overevaluating him?

Yeah, since May 2010...

So, really is it that out of Winter's reach to have known him from his recent Roda and Helmond days, his youth days at PSV and Dutch origins.

I also believe Ornoch could have Cann like success, you just go back to when they both were at Esjberg together, Ornoch was considered the higher quality football player by both the MNT and Esjberg staff and supporters.

He just hasn't been used in enough in a strict role and position, he's been roaming the midfield for too long, if TFC get him they need to do what they did with Cann and fin him a regular consistent role, whether it be off the bench or in the XI I'd love to seem in a fixed sorta situation in terms of role and position.

I've been thinking is it possible that TFC could find themselves some loan opportunities with Jong Ajax? I'm a big Ajax supporter and always have been since I grew into the game of soccer, and I really see some players on Ajax that have great potential, but sorta in flux in mostly due to limited first squad time, could guys like Bonevcia, Donald, Josefzoon, Suk, Ozbiltz, Zeegelar or Bodul could be maybe looked.

Never made the most of his opportunity? 3 goals in 9 appearances mostly as a sub, to me thats making the most of an opportunity

De Jong would be a perfect fit for TFC right now, he can fill the void at left back, count as a domestic and with Winters in the picture he would fit in well. But idk if it would be best for the MNT.

I was reading the RPB forum and saw a couple of people suggesting Ornoch should make around 200-300 K in MLS. Is it me or they are really overevaluating him?

Yes they are. Ornoch is probably making a fraction of that amount in Veendam.

Yes they are. Ornoch is probably making a fraction of that amount in Veendam.

Yeah one would think that considering he got essentially the same playing time as Cann at Esberg and is now in Holland's second division ... Cann's at what? 65k? How can Ornoch be coming in at anything more that 100k?

I've mentioned this on the TFC boards. I also told BigBird what I believe to be the rationale for not contacting them (that they wanted to go for dutch or german coaches for their stereotypical coaching style).

Language issues might be another area of concern. Dutch people tend to speak English reasonably fluently. Italians not so often in my experience. Probably because Dutch and English are very close to each other in the tree of Indo-European languages. Beyond that they obviously wanted a big name. Serie A experience maybe wasn't enough if the name involved wasn't something like Dino Zoff, Franco Baresi or Roberto Donadoni.

Maybe Ornoch will turn out to be an offensive version of Chris Pozniak. It seems like he can play forward, offensive mid and maybe winger.

I've never seen him play but if he does get brought in by the team I hope he does well. He might have the goods to do well in MLS, he might not, who knows.

I looking forward to seeing who else gets signed in the coming weeks but also the real possibility of which other incumbents might get sent packing.

I've never seen him play but if he does get brought in by the team I hope he does well. He might have the goods to do well in MLS, he might not, who knows.

I looking forward to seeing who else gets signed in the coming weeks but also the real possibility of which other incumbents might get sent packing.

I doubt they can afford to cut anyone else from the current team. They only have 17 official players at the moment. And remember that the league has upped the roster size to 30 and is bringing back the reserve league. Besides, no one from the current roster really deserves to be cut anyway.

All I know is that it's going to be an interesting transfer window for TFC.

I doubt they can afford to cut anyone else from the current team. They only have 17 official players at the moment. And remember that the league has upped the roster size to 30 and is bringing back the reserve league. Besides, no one from the current roster really deserves to be cut anyway.

Several new players will be brought in, for sure. But during preseason training it's quite possible that the new coaching staff might quickly find that some holdovers don't fit into their plans.

Language issues might be another area of concern. Dutch people tend to speak English reasonably fluently. Italians not so often in my experience. Probably because Dutch and English are very close to each other in the tree of Indo-European languages.

That, but a more contributing factor (IMO) is that since they have a smaller population, they tend to import a lot of media (tv shows, movies, etc.) which they quite often subtitle rather than dub which is huge. In fact, for a while there, they didn't even dub children's cartoons.

Well, Barrett and Conway have been traded, regardless of the squad numbers. Let's see how the remaining incumbents fare after the overseas training camp and friendlies.

Guest GoGreen
Yeah one would think that considering he got essentially the same playing time as Cann at Esberg and is now in Holland's second division ... Cann's at what? 65k? How can Ornoch be coming in at anything more that 100k?

Ornoch is an offensive player could end up helping with the scoring load, and is a few years younger than Cann, I would guess those are the reasons.

Ornoch is an offensive player could end up helping with the scoring load, and is a few years younger than Cann, I would guess those are the reasons.

And Will Johnson was even younger and had greater production in the Eredivisie (ie. he actually played) and look what he signed for ($70K).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived