Aron Winter new Manager + Technical Director of Toronto FC

SCF08

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who don't read Dutch here's the google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vi.nl%2FNieuws-item%2F192768%2FWinter-krijgt-een-dubbelfunctie-bij-Toronto-FC.htm

Aron Winter Toronto FC has chosen as the new technical director.The former national team will also the first Canadian club under the wing.

Toronto FC was looking for someone who is both the technical strategy as the main force on his behalf wanted. Familiarity with the Ajax playing style and culture was an important part of the application.

"Then they come to the right place," said Winter in The Guardian. The 43-year-old charged with international competition from former England striker Paul Mariner and draws a few days for three years with Toronto FC.

"I'm two days last week at the club visited and held immediately a good feeling," said Winter. "She also because I had not come back if I was already called back. Of the three candidates, I made the best impression. Around New Year's all come around. "

Winter is when the club from Major League Soccer for the first time on their own as head coach. Bob de Klerk, the A1 at Ajax was under his care, as it is right.

Once again TFC hires an extremely inexperienced and relatively cheap manager with no MLS or CONCACAF experience. Mariner would have been a similarly inexperienced and cheap choice as head manager but is a good choice for assistant and to give Winter someone with MLS experience to advise him. On the other hand it remains to be seen how much input he will have as we have seen that a previous good choice as assistant, Bob Gansler, was unable to exert much influence on the team.

Certainly both Winter and Mariner were excellent players but that does not always make a top or even competent manager. Both are well regarded but then again Carver was also well regarded as an assistant. It reeks once again of a cheap hiring despite the large amount of money available to MLSE. Reminds me of the CSA strategy of hiring cheap managers with little experience or track record. Eventually one of them will pan out but this is not a very good strategy for consistent results. If I were a TFC fan I would not be very happy with my club being the proving ground for someone's first job as a professional manager especially after 4 years of mismanagement of the club. I thought they would hire someone with a much stronger record of success and a higher price tag.

What Winter will bring is a voice of leadership through his experience though. Winter will also bring a possession game so desperately needed in the MLS dog days of summer. What Winter will need is Mariner's insight into the league (+1), Klinsmann's awareness, and a GM who knows the financial side of things.

Once again TFC hires an extremely inexperienced and relatively cheap manager with no MLS or CONCACAF experience. Mariner would have been a similarly inexperienced and cheap choice as head manager but is a good choice for assistant and to give Winter someone with MLS experience to advise him. On the other hand it remains to be seen how much input he will have as we have seen that a previous good choice as assistant, Bob Gansler, was unable to exert much influence on the team.

Certainly both Winter and Mariner were excellent players but that does not always make a top or even competent manager. Both are well regarded but then again Carver was also well regarded as an assistant. It reeks once again of a cheap hiring despite the large amount of money available to MLSE. Reminds me of the CSA strategy of hiring cheap managers with little experience or track record. Eventually one of them will pan out but this is not a very good strategy for consistent results. If I were a TFC fan I would not be very happy with my club being the proving ground for someone's first job as a professional manager especially after 4 years of mismanagement of the club. I thought they would hire someone with a much stronger record of success and a higher price tag.

LOL! Were you expecting TFC to hire Jose Mourinho?

Klinsmann talked of bringing a "philosphy" to TFC, and it appears that that's what he is doing. This seems to be a total revamp of the club at the technical level, and it is a ballsy move, so as a TFC fan I'm pleasantly surprised with the move.

In MLS, nothing is guaranteed. They went with an "experienced" MLS guy in Preki and it led to a player revolt and a worse record than the previous season. This is a step in a completely different direction.

You are being very presumtuous that these are "cheap" hirings, but I'm not going to ever expect you to say a positive word about TFC, so I'll take that one with a grain of salt. NYRB went with similar moves last year and it worked out well for them, so the precedent is there.

Only time will tell whether this works out well, but I'm willing to give the new regime a chance.

Sounds like a helluva signing to me. I personally think the whole MLS experience bit is bogus, as anywhere you go you have to learn a new league, travel, rules. People who have been around in football can do it normally, those who haven't, have more problems. I don't think the Dutch usually have a lot of problems.

If you are going to go for a system, a system represented by a team, going for guys out of Ajax has got to be one of the top ten in the world. It is not just a myth, it is a reality.

Sounds like a helluva signing to me. I personally think the whole MLS experience bit is bogus, as anywhere you go you have to learn a new league, travel, rules. People who have been around in football can do it normally, those who haven't, have more problems. I don't think the Dutch usually have a lot of problems.

If you are going to go for a system, a system represented by a team, going for guys out of Ajax has got to be one of the top ten in the world. It is not just a myth, it is a reality.

If this comes to fruition, this post pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Having people in the organization who know all the myriad MLSizms and can filter it out so as to prevent the coach from being distracted from game prep etc is important. As far as football knowledge goes Ajax is one hell of a plus on the resume. Getting someone like this is a very good move. Good football people tend to attract and bring in other good football people.

Now what style would a Dutchman from Ajax be planning on playing? One thing I am really looking forward to is how he distributes the players and utilizes them, JDG in particular.

Grizzly....I think Colorado won the Cup with an inexperienced coach I believe he came over to the US as a scout for Arsenal 2 years ago. Aron Winter has been an assistant coach at Ajax for 5 years that = experience, everytime there is a coach hired the first comment is "he has no MLS experience" a good coach will adjust, let's not compare AW to the other coaches TFC had they simply where not good head coaches, that's when TFC got their guy cheap, I doubt very much that Aron Winter is coming cheap, he has played at the highest level both for club and Country and has been coaching in one of the top clubs in terms of developing players with that resume he will not be cheap.

TFC need a wing man for him, one that understands the over the top amount of rules for moving/signing players, the draft system, NCAA, the North American scene, hence Paul Mariner he has experience in this field.

This is a positive move for TFC, let's hope AW style of play isn't the way Holland played in the final of the world cup, kick anything that moves. He will also need players to play his style and system, players that TFC do not currently have

One thing I am really looking forward to is how he distributes the players and utilizes them, JDG in particular.

Also, I'm really looking forward to which new players he brings in to rebuild the roster, Canadian, American, or international, but particularly the latter.

First impression is that this move certainly passes "the smell test".

Intriguing really in that it's easy to imagine a grander design developing within TFC above and beyond the hiring of just the individuals concerned. Whether or not that's wishful thinking or really an evolving reality will be revealed over time as Klinsmann's company fleshes out a program with the organization but at least we're seeing a hopeful 1st step.

Good place to be right now really. Winter's won't have Trader Mo (and all the good will TFC supporters had for him) hanging around his neck like Preki did. Fresh start, entirely fresh direction, and the TFC board room hoping the fans will grant them enough patience for a "do-over".

Wonder how Nick fits into the future plans? Or Danny? Or Jimmy B?

Archived