Rooney signs with MLS

nolando

"Major League Soccer announced that John Rooney has signed a contract with the league. Rooney is expected to participate in the MLS Combine and will be available for selection in the SuperDraft January 12.

John Rooney, 20, is the younger brother of Manchester United star Wayne Rooney. Rooney, who spent a few days in Portland on trial - he also trained with Seattle - in August, has said he is excited about the possibility of playing in MLS."

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2010/12/john_rooney_signs_with_mls.html#incart_mce

''Major League Soccer announced that John Rooney has signed a contract with the league. Rooney is expected to participate in the MLS Combine and will be available for selection in the SuperDraft January 12. ''

They won't understand in England!

Why not Toronto? Just in time for the 5,000 seat expansion to BMO. They'd sell out at least an entire season with his name on the roster, if success follows, multiple seasons. The jersey sales would also be a bit viral across the GTA I think.

John rooney is a name that would sell 25k seats a year after the whole city was up in arms about how the franchise is killing itself, etc?

Read his Wiki Bio and I thought this was passage was telling,

" Derby manager Nigel Clough was impressed with Rooney, saying "He has looked OK in training. We can see he has got something" and stating a desire to bring Rooney back on a second trial to play him in the club's next reserve fixture against Sheffield Wednesday."

The Wednesday game didin't happen.

Perhaps kicking about the Lower English Divisions, which have slim finacial pickings at the best of times (austerity measures not withstanding) waiting to get the kind of 'Big Brake" the Blackpool Squad got, didn't appeal to him (or his agent). Been kicked black and blue on a cold wet fridaynight at Oakwell then given a hard time in the local Big Mac in Barnsley town centre because the local "Hardmen" know who your brother is, might also bear heavily on that discision.

But If someone offers you the chance to play in a "Summer League" for probably better money, where you'll get fair (if not positive) treatment? Well, its kind of a No-brainer isn't it?

I remember Carl Robbison making some comment a couple of years back relating to British Players eyeing up the MLS, do to Finacial considerations and Lifestyle.

Anyone remember that there "Under-achiever" Jodie Cruyff? Not a patch on his Dad. Hell Calumn Best didn't even bother attempting to Play in anything other than Celebrity Knockabouts. As for Edinho the son of Pele, poor bugger became a goalkeeper.:eek:

There is one Kid who never made it until he was 20 by the way. Never went to an academy. Was overlooked at trials for Sunderland and Coventry so he was. Still ended up playing for England in their Best WC run since '66 (Italia '90 if you'd forgotten/ cared)

I Give you Newcastle, Spurs and Olympique de Marseille winger; Chrissy (THE FA DO NOTHING, NOTHING!) Waddle.:D

Read his Wiki Bio and I thought this was passage was telling,

" Derby manager Nigel Clough was impressed with Rooney, saying "He has looked OK in training. We can see he has got something" and stating a desire to bring Rooney back on a second trial to play him in the club's next reserve fixture against Sheffield Wednesday."

The Wednesday game didin't happen.

Perhaps kicking about the Lower English Divisions, which have slim finacial pickings at the best of times (austerity measures not withstanding) waiting to get the kind of 'Big Brake" the Blackpool Squad got, didn't appeal to him (or his agent). Been kicked black and blue on a cold wet fridaynight at Oakwell then given a hard time in the local Big Mac in Barnsley town centre because the local "Hardmen" know who your brother is, might also bear heavily on that discision.

But If someone offers you the chance to play in a "Summer League" for probably better money, where you'll get fair (if not positive) treatment? Well, its kind of a No-brainer isn't it?

I remember Carl Robbison making some comment a couple of years back relating to British Players eyeing up the MLS, do to Finacial considerations and Lifestyle.

Anyone remember that there "Under-achiever" Jodie Cruyff? Not a patch on his Dad. Hell Calumn Best didn't even bother attempting to Play in anything other than Celebrity Knockabouts. As for Edinho the son of Pele, poor bugger became a goalkeeper.:eek:

There is one Kid who never made it until he was 20 by the way. Never went to an academy. Was overlooked at trials for Sunderland and Coventry so he was. Still ended up playing for England in their Best WC run since '66 (Italia '90 if you'd forgotten/ cared)

I Give you Newcastle, Spurs and Olympique de Marseille winger; Chrissy (THE FA DO NOTHING, NOTHING!) Waddle.:D

I love reading your posts because it truly makes me feel like I am high as a kite when I read them.

Archived