U23 Camp

Max

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could also be injured. I didn't actually jump to conclusions. I actually suspect he's going to Turkey for the training camp but I thought someone here may have better knowledge.

He is in fact injured, I spoke with his uncle yesterday about this!

Even though we were playing an older US side this is still a weak result. Many players in their camp are u23 age or around that age.

Bunbury was on the states too.... hope he didn't score

I disagree. This was like a US men's national team B team but a pretty strong B team at that. Even though many of the players were young they were all pretty established professional players. The team we had playing against them was a U23 B team since we had almost none of our European players. A lot of our players were not even professional players. We don't have the depth in our system that we can expect a Canadian U23 B team to compete against a US senior men's national team even if it is their B team. I think in a game like this it is not the result that matters but what our players got out of playing against a much stronger side.

This was not a US "B" team and this was not our U22 "B" team. Look at the players on that US roster and tell me how many of them get called if a WCQ were next week. Maybe 1 or 2? This was a quasi-U22/D team camp to look at the depth in their program from about 40-60 spots deep.

Look at our team, MM is one of our top 2 or 3 goalies at this age group. The defence was missing Straith, but who else would have made a difference on the backline? Lassonde, Nakajima-Farran or Gage? Not much of a difference. Midfield? Attack? Same thing. I can't think of anyone outside of Jr. Hoilett and possibly Marcus Haber that might have made a difference going forward.

Really guys, it was a team of full professionals vs. a team of a handful of pros and a lot of college players. Not much to be that angry about. Relax. Yeah, the US beat us by a lot but keep in mind the US program is significantly deeper than ours at the Senior team level. By definition, the US should have 10 times the number of players who are equal to our starting eleven. If you go to the 40-60 spots deep area, you should find they're able to go toe to toe with our first team at the Senior level.

This was not a US "B" team and this was not our U22 "B" team. Look at the players on that US roster and tell me how many of them get called if a WCQ were next week.

Um, isn't that the point? The WCQ roster (23 spots) would be the 'A' team, of which none of these guys would be considered. Hence they are a true 'B' team.

Um, isn't that the point? The WCQ roster (23 spots) would be the 'A' team, of which none of these guys would be considered. Hence they are a true 'B' team.

Starting XI = A team (1st string)

Next XI = B team (2nd string)

Next XI = C team (3rd string)

and so on...

So no, this is not a "B" team or a 2nd string team this is a bunch of young players of which most are on and probably always will be on the fringes of relevance for the USMNT.

My point is the last time we were up against the US at the Olympic level they wiped the field with us, and this type of result only serves to reinforce that this is likely to happen again if we face them next year with a spot for London 2012 on the line.

Are you suggesting that these are C teamers or worse? You'd be extremely hard pressed to come up with a full roster of players ahead of them and behind the established A side, IMO.

Clearly there is a lot of overlap between this iteration of the USMNT and their U23 side, so your point on their strength at that age group versus ours is valid.

I wouldn't get too worried about the result. A majority of those US players are *that* close to becoming regular USMNT members, where as a majority of those in the Canadian camp probably won't feature for the CMNT anytime soon. For ****s and giggles, if there were to be a CMNT B team camp in the style of this USMNT camp, this is who I would call in (assuming everyone would be healthy):

GK- Jordan Santiago, David Monsalve, Haidar Al-Shaibani, Michal Misiewicz

Def- David Edgar, Adam Straith, Nana Attakora, Martin John, Ethan Gage, Eddy Sidra, Doneil Henry, Stefan Cebara

Mid- Philippe Davies, Andrew Ornoch, Nicholas Lindsay, Shaun Saiko, Matt Lam, Sam Lam, Kyle Porter, maybe Russell Teibert

For- Tosaint Ricketts, Marcus Haber, Frank Jonke, Reda Agourram

That's about the same number and roughly the same average age as the US camp, and I would be willing to bet that this team would not lose 4-0 to the US B team. They would still probably lose (the midfield looks kinda weak) but I'm guessing they would give 'em a much better game.

Archived