U23 Camp

Max

I don't think Matheson is cut out for this level, last I saw he wasn't even scoring in high school and he's not even a key player for the U20s

When was the "last" you saw?

He was scoring in the CSL as a 17-year-old, and will be playing for UConn in September. It's a little too early to write him off.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When was the "last" you saw?

He was scoring in the CSL as a 17-year-old, and will be playing for UConn in September. It's a little too early to write him off.

He went to high school in the states for first semester after the CSL season so most recently

If someone from his age group is to make it I'd look to other kids like Mirabelli, Teibert, Cousens, J.Hoilett and Lindsay to be ahead of Matheson.

All of those guys will be young 19/20/21 come OQs, but you have to figure guys like Edwini-Bonsu, Haber, Pisanjuk would be ahead of those players at this time anyways, next year everything will change as it always does of course though.

see haber was my first choice to play alongside edwini-bonsu but seeing he is hurt, matheson might be good to take a look at in camp. he is tall, fast, strong and can get balls from the air and hold the ball up for an attacking striker.

having two small and speedy guys might not be the best solution. especially against some of these smaller teams in concacaf. good service from the mids and strikers with great aerials could easily kill most of these small teams!

by the way, matheson was playing at an ivy league school and was tearing it up. i believe he finished the season with 10+ goals!!! in a very short season.

to me, age does not matter. if he can play well and he can be a part of the puzzle that can win at u23, then so be it.

Firstly, even if Haber was hypothetically healthy Edwini-Bonsu and Haber doesn't work as a pairing. Believe me.

Second, although I am the biggest Randy Edwini-Bonsu fan outside of the Edwini-Bonsu family, before we start penciling him into the Olympic lineup bear in mind that he's been out of training for an awfully long time now. Let him find a club first before we proclaim him our first striker.

Players involve in Phoenix camp:

Michal Misiewicz, Adam Janssen, Eddy Sidra, Ashtone Morgan, Nana Attakora, Curtis Ushedo, Sean Hart, Derek Gaudet, Philippe Davies, Kyle Porter, Kyle Bekker, Michael Pereira, Cesar Santamaria, Dane Roberts, Reda Agourram, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Sherif El-Masri, Evan James, Babayele Sodade, Carl Haworth.

Coaches: Stephen Hart, Tony Fonseca, Paul Dolan (GKs)

Game against USA in LA on Jan 18 at 11:00 and game against Saghuaros on Jan 20 at 5:00 pm

Most of those names are familiar. Anyone with info on Evan James or Carl Haworth?

Evan played for me for the past two seasons. He currently attends UNC-Charlotte and his profile is available on their website. He's a skillful striker with pace. I've seen him score some goals that would make your head spin! Nice to see him getting some recognition and profile.

Looking at Flo Liu Im surprised he hasn't been given a call. From that video you can see he is a speedy left back with a nice touch, good tackling ability but im not sure about his heading (not much to see which probably isn't good).

Ushedo looks good in the air, tall and quick a nice combo for a center back, only thing lacking it seems is his touch which can be taught. I think he'll make a nice project for an MLS team hopefully Vancouver or Toronto.

I like this mix of players called, Carl Haworth's bio on the Niagara University site looks pretty promising. Anyone know what the deal with Cesar Santamaria is? He isn't playing for his club side in El Salvador which plays in the second division.... I can't imagine El Salvador calling a player playing in the reserves of a second division Salvadorian side so why are we?

We have such a big pool for this age group I could list off tons of guys... I really hope Fonsesca doesn't overlook anyone we should be calling in more players

Looking at Flo Liu Im surprised he hasn't been given a call. From that video you can see he is a speedy left back with a nice touch, good tackling ability but im not sure about his heading (not much to see which probably isn't good).

Ushedo looks good in the air, tall and quick a nice combo for a center back, only thing lacking it seems is his touch which can be taught. I think he'll make a nice project for an MLS team hopefully Vancouver or Toronto.

I like this mix of players called, Carl Haworth's bio on the Niagara University site looks pretty promising. Anyone know what the deal with Cesar Santamaria is? He isn't playing for his club side in El Salvador which plays in the second division.... I can't imagine El Salvador calling a player playing in the reserves of a second division Salvadorian side so why are we?

We have such a big pool for this age group I could list off tons of guys... I really hope Fonsesca doesn't overlook anyone we should be calling in more players

Anyone know what the deal with Cesar Santamaria is? He isn't playing for his club side in El Salvador which plays in the second division.... I can't imagine El Salvador calling a player playing in the reserves of a second division Salvadorian side so why are we?

Once Municipal are in the Primera this year, they promoted up over the summer. Looks like the first squad is going through alot of turnover this window so who knows, Cesar might see some action?

I had played against Carl Haworth a few years back. He was pretty fast and had good ball skills but didn't look extraordinary at the time. Though he also looked disinterested in the game for the most part. Maybe he was playing at too low of a level for him to give it his all?

Players involve in Phoenix camp:

Michal Misiewicz, Adam Janssen, Eddy Sidra, Ashtone Morgan, Nana Attakora, Curtis Ushedo, Sean Hart, Derek Gaudet, Philippe Davies, Kyle Porter, Kyle Bekker, Michael Pereira, Cesar Santamaria, Dane Roberts, Reda Agourram, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Sherif El-Masri, Evan James, Babayele Sodade, Carl Haworth.

Coaches: Stephen Hart, Tony Fonseca, Paul Dolan (GKs)

Game against USA in LA on Jan 18 at 11:00 and game against Saghuaros on Jan 20 at 5:00 pm

Here's the official press release from the CSA:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/Olympic_M/national.asp

It seems Asthone Morgan has been replaced by Lassonde.

Also note that there's no mention of the games on the CSA website...

Archived