MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

Nice squad...

No Hume or Pozniak though!! Whats going on?? They should both be there other than that can't complain too much. I like that De Ro was called up I was hoping he'd be, he definitely needs to show us something. And I'm glad Friend is showing up even though he just got his starting spot again (and had 2 assists).

Now that we have a squad here's my XI

---------------------Friend------------------------

Simpson----------De Rosario------------Jackson

-------------Hutchinson----Johnson---------------

De Jong------McKenna---Jakovic--------Peters

--------------------Borjan-------------------------

Subs:

Straith for Peters 46'

Ricketts for Jackson 65'

Pacheco for De Rosario 70'

Edgar for McKenna 70'

Occean for Friend 70'

That looks pretty good to me, but is McKenna fit? If not replace him with Straith

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice squad...

No Hume or Pozniak though!! Whats going on?? They should both be there other than that can't complain too much. I like that De Ro was called up I was hoping he'd be, he definitely needs to show us something. And I'm glad Friend is showing up even though he just got his starting spot again (and had 2 assists).

Now that we have a squad here's my XI

---------------------Friend------------------------

Simpson----------De Rosario------------Jackson

-------------Hutchinson----Johnson---------------

De Jong------McKenna---Jakovic--------Peters

--------------------Borjan-------------------------

Subs:

Straith for Peters 46'

Ricketts for Jackson 65'

Pacheco for De Rosario 70'

Edgar for McKenna 70'

Occean for Friend 70'

That looks pretty good to me, but is McKenna fit? If not replace him with Straith

That starting 11 is about what I would choose based on the players available! DeRo is the wild card here, I guess you give him a chance to freelance a bit out of the midfield, he's going to have to show something though as there are other guys who can take that midfield role from him! I thought he looked good in the first half against Peru playing there although we didn't score!

Hume was called I think. Hart had indicated he wasn't able to get all the guys he wanted. Hume's in the middle of a relegation battle with PNE and his club needs him there, especially since he's the top producer for that club.

Pozniak should have been called...

With McKenna out now, and talk of calling one of Cann or Attakora, I wonder why Pozniak is not in consideration. Hart could have called him in and he would have still had Jakovic, Edgar, and Straith as center backs, not to mention Pozniak could play their worse case senerio. In the end though I don't mind seeing Attakora being called for cover, I just wonder if his distribution is good enough for the International level at this stage. Cann is improved but I would rather Hart go with the youth.

With McKenna out now, and talk of calling one of Cann or Attakora, I wonder why Pozniak is not in consideration. Hart could have called him in and he would have still had Jakovic, Edgar, and Straith as center backs, not to mention Pozniak could play their worse case senerio. In the end though I don't mind seeing Attakora being called for cover, I just wonder if his distribution is good enough for the International level at this stage. Cann is improved but I would rather Hart go with the youth.

Exactly, why call in Cann who as it stands probably won't get minutes this WCQ which will be his last I'm guessing when you could give Attakora the experience and he's likely to be a solid contributor for if not this WCQ (I can see him having a big year), then definitely the next 2 or 3.

My stating 11

Straith---Jakovic---Edgar---De Jong

-----Hutchinson----Johnson-------

------------De Rosario------------

Jackson------Occean--------Simpson

I like the chemistry between the front line, and I think Hart does as well, so we will see this unless Friend really impresses in training.

Since DeRosario is not displacing Simpson on that right side, I think Hart will opt to play him at the top of the triangle, pushing Hutchinson in the defensive role. Shame really, because Atiba really thrived their last game, but it is best to have your best players (DeRosario and Hutch) on the field together. Johnson beats out Pedro since he is more experienced and Greece is a big team.

Peters vs Straith for right back. Hmmm, could come down to tactics, or who preforms better in training. Straith is more of a stay at home defender though, so I think we will see him, as Greece like to counter and Peters could get caught while attacking down the line. Also, Hart may want some continuity from the Ukraine game on that backline.

Oh, and goal is a toss up. Hart hasn't seen Milan in training yet, would be premature for him to get the call over Lars. Wait, Lars was called right? I can't recall noticing who the second keeper was.

I wonder if this roster is better suited to a 4-3-3- formation, rather a 4-2-3-1:

----------Hirschfeld------------

Peters--Straith--Jakovic--deJong

W.Johnson--Hutchinson--deRosario

S.Jackson--Friend--J.Simpson

Borjan (Hirschfeld), Edgar (Jakovic or Straith) and Occean (Friend) all get the second half.

That leaves Ricketts, Pacheco, Ledgerwood and McKenna's replacement as later substitutes.

I wonder if this roster is better suited to a 4-3-3- formation, rather a 4-2-3-1:

----------Hirschfeld------------

Peters--Straith--Jakovic--deJong

W.Johnson--Hutchinson--deRosario

S.Jackson--Friend--J.Simpson

Borjan (Hirschfeld), Edgar (Jakovic or Straith) and Occean (Friend) all get the second half.

That leaves Ricketts, Pacheco, Ledgerwood and McKenna's replacement as later substitutes.

Hart's stuck pretty religiously to 4-3-3 over the past two years so I'd be surprised if we didn't come out playing 4-3-3 against Greece.

My stating 11

Straith---Jakovic---Edgar---De Jong

-----Hutchinson----Johnson-------

------------De Rosario------------

Jackson------Occean--------Simpson

I like the chemistry between the front line, and I think Hart does as well, so we will see this unless Friend really impresses in training.

Since DeRosario is not displacing Simpson on that right side, I think Hart will opt to play him at the top of the triangle, pushing Hutchinson in the defensive role. Shame really, because Atiba really thrived their last game, but it is best to have your best players (DeRosario and Hutch) on the field together. Johnson beats out Pedro since he is more experienced and Greece is a big team.

Peters vs Straith for right back. Hmmm, could come down to tactics, or who preforms better in training. Straith is more of a stay at home defender though, so I think we will see him, as Greece like to counter and Peters could get caught while attacking down the line. Also, Hart may want some continuity from the Ukraine game on that backline.

Oh, and goal is a toss up. Hart hasn't seen Milan in training yet, would be premature for him to get the call over Lars. Wait, Lars was called right? I can't recall noticing who the second keeper was.

Hart is not going to push Hutch into a DM role when he's made it extremely clear over the past several games that Hutchinson is the man this team is built around. De Ro will either play up top or on the right where Jackson is. Simpson's spot is solid. Hutch's spot is solid.

Hart's stuck pretty religiously to 4-3-3 over the past two years so I'd be surprised if we didn't come out playing 4-3-3 against Greece.

You sure? We didn't play a 4-3-3 against Ukraine and rarely have under Hart. We've had two holding mids in front of the back four for ages.

You sure? We didn't play a 4-3-3 against Ukraine and rarely have under Hart. We've had two holding mids in front of the back four for ages.

Yeah, we've played a 4-5-1 pretty much exclusively under Hart (and Mitchell for that matter) with the Honduras game being the one exception that i can remember.

It may look like a 4-5-1 or whatever else under Hart, but you ask him he will say it is a 4-3-3. And 4-3-3/4-5-1 are pretty much the same formation for all intents and purposes.

Actually, there is a difference between the 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 system Hart (and others) likes to use and the 4-3-3 system we played against Honduras....and yes, i know the way the system works and the wings/attacking mids can go forward and come back and how it's interchangeable.

4-2-3-1:

---------GK---------

RB---CB----CB----LB

-----DM----DM-----

RAM----CAM-----LAM

--------FWD--------

4-3-3:

---------GK---------

RB---CB----CB----LB

RM------CM------LM

RW------CF------LW

or as the Dutch play it:

---------GK---------

RB---CB----CB----LB

--------CM---------

----RM-------LM----

RW---------------LW

---------CF---------

Hart is not going to push Hutch into a DM role when he's made it extremely clear over the past several games that Hutchinson is the man this team is built around. De Ro will either play up top or on the right where Jackson is. Simpson's spot is solid. Hutch's spot is solid.

I hope your right about Hutch not playing DM. I agree Hutch is the man to build the team around for this upcomming cycle but I really doubt DeRosario is being called in to start on the bench. If that is the case where does he play? Certainly not in that Friend/Occean role. Not over Simpson. Mabye over Jackson but Hart has said he called Jackson in because he needs that right forward spot filled, plus Jackson has started the past 3 games now. So the question is, where does Dwayne fit in??

^

This is correct but Hart seems to deploy more of a 4-2-3-1 with having the both wingers tracking back little deeper to pick up the ball. So positionally it's 4-3-3 but tactically it's more of a 4-2-3-1 I think.

Wouldn't that be a 4-4-1-1 then?

For a 4-3-3 you need 3 committed forwards, they can track back but their primary aim is to attack. What i've noticed is our wide players are more mids who push forward when we have the ball.

I think it's easiest explained if you say it's a 4-5-1 when your team is not in possesion of the ball and 4-3-3 when it is. This seems to be what most teams are doing these days.

Teams will keep the 4 defenders, and 5 midfielders behind the ball when not in possesion, with the lone striker trying to steer the ball towards the sideline. As soon as possesion is gained, 2 midfielders jump up to act as forwards.

What i've noticed is our wide players are more mids who push forward when we have the ball.

I noticed this especially during Peru game with Jackson where he seemed to start the play from righ side of midfield then either try to cut in or cross the ball into the box. In a true 4-3-3 formation, Jackson should be much further up the pitch and service should be coming from our midfields who's pushing forward. Unfortunately our midfield players lack creativity and speed (aside from Hutch) so our wingers are forced track back and pick up the ball from the middle.

That's why I'm viewing Hart's formation as 4-2-3-1 since our two holding mids (JDG and Bernier) pretty much sit in front of our back 4 to either break up the play or link it to our attacking players (Hutch, Simpson, Jackson) and hope to God that they can hook up with our lonely man up front :)

I think it's easiest explained if you say it's a 4-5-1 when your team is not in possesion of the ball and 4-3-3 when it is. This seems to be what most teams are doing these days.

Teams will keep the 4 defenders, and 5 midfielders behind the ball when not in possesion, with the lone striker trying to steer the ball towards the sideline. As soon as possesion is gained, 2 midfielders jump up to act as forwards.

I tend to agree with you... 4-2-3-1 is really a hybrid of 4-5-1 and this formation may seem defensive, a lot of coaches favour this due to it's flexibility to 4-3-3 when going forward.

^^ exactly, and it doesn't always have to be the outside midfielders who jump up. Some teams will have the outside guys slide into the middle when the more central midfielders push up. I think I've seen Canada do this with will johnson. He plays on the wing, but when one of the central midfielders pushes up, he slides in behind into one of the 2 midfield spots you're talking about in the 4-2-3-1

^^ exactly, and it doesn't always have to be the outside midfielders who jump up. Some teams will have the outside guys slide into the middle when the more central midfielders push up. I think I've seen Canada do this with will johnson. He plays on the wing, but when one of the central midfielders pushes up, he slides in behind into one of the 2 midfield spots you're talking about in the 4-2-3-1

I definitely see a lot of that with RSL in their 4-4-2, where Johnson nominally starts on the left than shifts inside and minds for Sideshow Bob Beckerman when he goes on attacking walkabout. That's one reason I like Johnson: he seems to have a strong sense for positional smarts. However, I truly think he serves us better in the central midfield three as opposed to being on the flank.

Archived