MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

On the subject, does anyone know what Stalteri's situation actually is? It looks like he hasn't played a competitive match with Borussia since Oct '09 yet he remains listed on their roster.

He is training but hasn't been issued a squad number. The difference between the 6 months he played at Spurs was that at Spurs he was playing reserves match where at Gladbach, he is not playing.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stalteri shouldn't even be called to the Greece match. It is mid January and he still hasn't left Gladbach, he's 33 years old and collecting a paycheck simple as. If you have no interest in maintaining or improving your game you shouldn't be on the MNT let alone captain. Drop him!!! We need to find a right back, what we don't need is a 34 year old come WCQ who is finally getting matches for the first time in 2 years!!

Stalteri shouldn't even be called to the Greece match. It is mid January and he still hasn't left Gladbach, he's 33 years old and collecting a paycheck simple as. If you have no interest in maintaining or improving your game you shouldn't be on the MNT let alone captain. Drop him!!! We need to find a right back, what we don't need is a 34 year old come WCQ who is finally getting matches for the first time in 2 years!!

I don't understand why Stalteri doesn't just try to jump to MLS, surely he could make some decent money and get playing time at a high-enough level to stay on with the CMNT.

I don't understand why Stalteri doesn't just try to jump to MLS, surely he could make some decent money and get playing time at a high-enough level to stay on with the CMNT.

The problem is he would only make a fraction of what he makes at Gladbach and thats the only reason he is still there, he can't honestly be holding out hope to break back into the team. If Paul is serious about representing his country he should be back in MLS this summer, which I hope is his plan as his contract expires and he needs matches before WCQ. But until that happens he should be dropped and we should get a look at our options for the RB spot.

That would be so easy to do if we had a wealth of RB options...but we don't. Right now I would still take Stalteri over Peters at RB.

That would be so easy to do if we had a wealth of RB options...but we don't. Right now I would still take Stalteri over Peters at RB.

This guy hasn't played the game of soccer for anyone but us in over a year why would you rate him better than other options? Its not like hes been blowing us away for Canada, in fact he's often been singled out as one of our weakest players. Chris Pozniak is playing every match at right back for a club that finished 6th in Norway's top division. Peters hasn't been given a shot at the right back spot, no one has! Now is the time to try these things out in friendlies, why let the oldest member in your squad play consistently at right back when we haven't even seen anyone else at right back. I'd hate for us to find out our options in the 60th minute in Honduras....

Stalteri has been weak at right back all can agree with that, maybe if we do call him we can try him in midfield?

We need a ball winning defensive midfielder to go along with De Guzman and Hutchinson and play that Martin Nash 2007 GC role Stalteri can maybe offer us something there.

This guy hasn't played the game of soccer for anyone but us in over a year why would you rate him better than other options? Its not like hes been blowing us away for Canada, in fact he's often been singled out as one of our weakest players. Chris Pozniak is playing every match at right back for a club that finished 6th in Norway's top division. Peters hasn't been given a shot at the right back spot, no one has! Now is the time to try these things out in friendlies, why let the oldest member in your squad play consistently at right back when we haven't even seen anyone else at right back. I'd hate for us to find out our options in the 60th minute in Honduras....

Stalteri has been weak at right back all can agree with that, maybe if we do call him we can try him in midfield?

We need a ball winning defensive midfielder to go along with De Guzman and Hutchinson and play that Martin Nash 2007 GC role Stalteri can maybe offer us something there.

I don't think his passing/vision is good enough for the holding mid role. And I agree with your assessment of our RB position. If Stalteri can earn the RB position that's great, but at the moment he is is playing 0 competitive matches, so until he does I think you have to look elsewhere.

Agreed 100%.

Something we've been hearing that doesn't sound good to me is that this match will feature mostly a european squad. I know north american clubs are in pre season but with only one match on the calendar so far we need to get our best team together. No one can honestly expect us to switch between domestic and international based players in squads and then throw them altogether come WCQ and its going to work out.

Hows this for a starting XI with subs for Greece (if it is just a european based squad)

-------------------Occean--------------------

Simpson------------------------------Hume

------------Hutchinson---Bernier------------

------------------Stalteri----------------------

Klukowski-----McKenna---Straith----Pozniak

------------------Borjan-------------------------

Sub Pozniak for Peters at half

Sub Straith for Edgar 65

Sub Hume for Jackson 60

Sub Occean for Friend 70

See the problem is with a european based squad we lack options in midfield thats why I put Stalteri there, unless we call up Bourgault which I don't think is a good idea giving two starts in a row to a player who probably won't figure into an A team. Pacheco is another option but he just had his first start this weekend I believe, maybe keep an eye on him for the weeks leading up to the match.

Im not saying call too many NA based players but it would be nice to maybe call in Johnson/Dunfield, Gerba and Attakora. Attakora has only been to a domestic camp and we haven't seen Gerba in a while plus we need Johnson/Dunfield for some midfield depth.

If we could get those players heres how id send them out

---------------------Gerba---------------------------

Simpson------------------------------------Hume

----------------Hutchinson----Johnson-------------

-----------------------Bernier-----------------------

Klukowski-----McKenna---Straith----Pozniak

-------------------Borjan-----------------------------

I can't see us not calling Will Johnson. I also can't see us calling Pozniak at the moment either. He's playing, but hasn't featured into ANY of Hart's line-ups in how long now? Had he been called within the last year and a half I could see it, but seeing as how he hasn't I don't expect him to get a call. Perhaps Pedro has talked to his club to let them know an international friendly opportunity is coming up for him, and that giving him minutes could be the difference between him getting called or not.

I can't see us not calling Will Johnson. I also can't see us calling Pozniak at the moment either. He's playing, but hasn't featured into ANY of Hart's line-ups in how long now? Had he been called within the last year and a half I could see it, but seeing as how he hasn't I don't expect him to get a call. Perhaps Pedro has talked to his club to let them know an international friendly opportunity is coming up for him, and that giving him minutes could be the difference between him getting called or not.

Pozniak only started getting these minutes last year so its not like he's been overlooked for a while. I expect him to be called by Hart. I doubt Pedro's club is that interested in getting him matches for Canada to just give him minutes tbh if anything it would be the other way around.

If we can get a win (i know, hoping high) or a draw in this match, we could power ourselves up a bit and secure that 8th position in CONCACAF for the WCQ draw.

With El Salvador and Guatemala not having a great Central American Cup, we're locked in 8th right now, but we're still vulnerable if a team can earn some friendly wins.

Good stuff. Wasn't familiar with this player, some quick web research (hat trick vs USA U20 (thanks to poor defending but not to discredit his speed!) says I should be.

Glad he's getting into his first match at the senior level!

So glad to see Ricketts there! Does this mean no Friend?

On a side note, Poli are 5 points out of first place in Romania (and an automatic ticket to the CL group stage). Also, Romanian league is surprisingly rated ahead of Portugal, Holland, and Turkey!

So glad to see Ricketts there! Does this mean no Friend?

On a side note, Poli are 5 points out of first place in Romania (and an automatic ticket to the CL group stage). Also, Romanian league is surprisingly rated ahead of Portugal, Holland, and Turkey!

My guess is that Hart will use Ricketts in a wing position or as a late sub up top, he doesn't really fit the bill of the big striker we've been using (Occean, Friend, Gerba)

So who's the odd man out here? With Occean called I'd guess one of Friend, Jackson or Hume won't be called. Hume needs to get a shot at the right attacking wing spot and I think Jackson has done enough in the past few matches to be called.

Archived