MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

JBB did a good job in Ukraine.

Dunfield would be a good choice as well. Bernier can also play there.

At least we have some options there! Bernier has played well in that role at times but he can be awfully inconsistent! I was pleasantly surprised with Dunfield in Montreal vs Honduras and although he'll be in pre season form, as JDG would have been, I'd like to see more of him! I only watched extended highlights of the Ukraine match so I can't comment on JBB! It seems like we have some depth in this very important position!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is the love for Pedro?? Think he fits in beautifully behind Hutch and the back 4.

I think we would be selling ourselves short giving a start to Pedro right now when we've only seen him once and he isn't even starting in the Portugese second division..

------------------------------Lars/Borjan---------------------------

-Stalteri/Hainault--McKenna/Straith--Jakovic/Edgar--Klukowski/De Jong

---------------------------Johnson/Dunfield------------------------

-------------------Hoilett/DeRo-------------Hutchinson/Peters--------

-------Hume/Jackson------------------------------Simpson/Occean--

------------------------------Friend/Gerba--------------------------

left starting 11 right back up 11.

What kind of Premiership activity is there around the 9th for Blackburn? Is it realistic to hold out hope that Jr. will suit up for us for this one?

It's a mid-week FIFA date, so there are likely league games scheduled before and after.

If Hoilett is saying he wants to focus on his club career right now as a reason to not come to the post-season South American camp/friendlies I doubt he'll leave for a midweek fixture in the middle of the season.

If Hoilett is saying he wants to focus on his club career right now as a reason to not come to the post-season South American camp/friendlies I doubt he'll leave for a midweek fixture in the middle of the season.

I don't know, but going to South America is different than going to Greece. I think he is also advancing in his club carrer at Blackburn with the last two games. It's interesting to see what Junior will do for this friendly.

Hoilett was a guest on Full Time, the radio show in Vancouver last week. They asked him specifically about the greece match and he said he will not be going. Sounded like maybe the Gold Cup at the very earliest but was still saying he is not focused on playing internationally in the near future.

here's the podcast with the full interview:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/soccer_show/Full_Time_Vancouvers_Soccer_Show_January_2_2011~.mp3

Be sure to tune in to tomorrow night's episode as they will be speaking with Stephen Hart.

Hoilett was a guest on Full Time, the radio show in Vancouver last week. They asked him specifically about the greece match and he said he will not be going. Sounded like maybe the Gold Cup at the very earliest but was still saying he is not focused on playing internationally in the near future.

here's the podcast with the full interview:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/soccer_show/Full_Time_Vancouvers_Soccer_Show_January_2_2011~.mp3

Be sure to tune in to tomorrow night's episode as they will be speaking with Stephen Hart.

I was hoping to be left cautiously optimistic from that interview but unfortunately that is not the case.

But, if he ends up not playing for Canada, at least he's not leading us to believe that he will... like a couple others have.

No no I meant it to get Max's attention. Nothing against you. I agree - it'd be great if RN could get to speak with Poz.

Ok...We caught up with Chris (I know I was asked to place these interviews in a main thread folder, but it's relevant to this particular thread because of the question(s) pertaining to him - hope it's ok):

In this interview, Red Nation and Chris discuss playing in the Norwegian top flight with his current side FK Haugesund, his past experiences playing with Toronto FC, the pros and cons of being able to play multiple positions at the professional level, his thoughts on the Vancouver Whitecaps move to Major League Soccer and playing for the Men’s Canadian National Team.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Chris_Pozniak_january_16_11_feature.shtml

Ok...We caught up with Chris (I know I was asked to place these interviews in a main thread folder, but it's relevant to this particular thread because of the question(s) pertaining to him - hope it's ok):

In this interview, Red Nation and Chris discuss playing in the Norwegian top flight with his current side FK Haugesund, his past experiences playing with Toronto FC, the pros and cons of being able to play multiple positions at the professional level, his thoughts on the Vancouver Whitecaps move to Major League Soccer and playing for the Men’s Canadian National Team.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Chris_Pozniak_january_16_11_feature.shtml

Great again - your interviews are my favourite contribution to the site and even an interview of a fringe player like Poz is worth more than a shipload of speculation from us armchair experts.

Poz is very astute and obviously keeps very close tabs on soccer in NA and abroad. I also liked his answer to the question regarding his lack of recent call-ups He sounds very reasonable and respectful, even when talking about Johnston and co and the two (mostly) unsuccessful efforts to establish himself in Canadian pro soccer.

cheers!

Great again - your interviews are my favourite contribution to the site and even an interview of a fringe player like Poz is worth more than a shipload of speculation from us armchair experts.

Poz is very astute and obviously keeps very close tabs on soccer in NA and abroad. I also liked his answer to the question regarding his lack of recent call-ups He sounds very reasonable and respectful, even when talking about Johnston and co and the two (mostly) unsuccessful efforts to establish himself in Canadian pro soccer.

cheers!

Thx Nolando. That means a lot to us!

Thanks for the interview. One thing Pozniak brought up regarding year one with TFC was Bob Gansler's role in the coaching set up. I always wondered about his take on TFC first year of operation, particularly with the playing staff (Pozniak made a point at saying how Reda and Braz were scapegoated).

Poz may be the answer at RB for now, I think Peters and him should get a half each! Hutchinson is probably our best option there at this point but he would be missed in the midfield too much, especially with JDG not looking like he'll be fit! For this match I would start Hume on the right wing ahead of Jackson, he's playing and he's scoring, Jackson has fallen out of favour with Norwich and I think yesterday's match was a good example of how far he's slipped, trailing by a goal he was left on the bench!

Poz may be the answer at RB for now, I think Peters and him should get a half each! Hutchinson is probably our best option there at this point but he would be missed in the midfield too much, especially with JDG not looking like he'll be fit! For this match I would start Hume on the right wing ahead of Jackson, he's playing and he's scoring, Jackson has fallen out of favour with Norwich and I think yesterday's match was a good example of how far he's slipped, trailing by a goal he was left on the bench!

The last place Hutch needs to be playing for our squad is out wide. He is the engine of the CMNT when he's properly deployed...the central midfield as the playmaker. This team needs him there.

So yes, you're right. Peters and Pozniak should be the two callups for Germany for the right back position.

And Pozniak is getting friendly minutes right now...not competitive I know, but it's Pre-season and he's getting his fitness back. He should be fit by Feb 9th.

The last place Hutch needs to be playing for our squad is out wide. He is the engine of the CMNT when he's properly deployed...the central midfield as the playmaker. This team needs him there.

So yes, you're right. Peters and Pozniak should be the two callups for Germany for the right back position.

And Pozniak is getting friendly minutes right now...not competitive I know, but it's Pre-season and he's getting his fitness back. He should be fit by Feb 9th.

On the subject, does anyone know what Stalteri's situation actually is? It looks like he hasn't played a competitive match with Borussia since Oct '09 yet he remains listed on their roster.

Archived