MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

I would really like to see Radzinski and Hume used in some capacity in the 4-3-3. We need to get a result in this game and Radz in particular has played the most club minutes of any of our offensive players this season. He could be used on the right or the left in this formation with Hume off the bench. In season and in form those two guys could help us climb the rankings. Looking forward to getting a look at Milan Borjan as well.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best possible outcome, if everything goes right, somehow:

Strikers: 2 : De Rosario - Hoilett

Mids : 4 : Hutchinson - De Guzman - De Guzman - Simpson

D's: 4 : De Jong - Klukowski - Straith - Edgar

Keeper: Boorjan or whatever his name is

Whats the obsession with Edgar? The guy has been called to three MNT camps and has yet to earn a cap but people still put him in their 1st XI?

Whats the obsession with Edgar? The guy has been called to three MNT camps and has yet to earn a cap but people still put him in their 1st XI?

Because he's a good player. Sure he's fell on some bad luck but when I've seen him play centre back I've been impressed.

in the 143 proud years that canada has been a nation, how many of our players have made more than 29 appearances in the top flight of english football?.....by my count....4.

even if you extend it to the top three leagues you still only get 5!

Just an FYI, I am going to be in Larissa covering this match for RNO, so I look forward to seeing which of the Voyageurs' master-plans comes closest to Mr. Hart's.

FWIW, here is my line-up, I am opting for a lot of Euro guys as I am concerned about the MLS crew's fitness. I have included JDG because as I have mentioned we need to revive our talisman for a big 2011. I know him and Hart have a good relationship, and I want that to blossom again for us. I have included Gerba for more or the less the same reasons...:

-----------------Occean------------------

Simpson-----Hutchinson----------Hume

----------De Guzman---Bernier---------

Klukowski--McKenna--Jakovic--Stalteri

------------------Borjan------------------

Subs:

Hirschfeld

Straith

De Jong

Nakajma-Faran

Jackson

Uccello

Gerba

Injury/unavailability subs:

Edgar

Peters

Johnson

De Rosario

EDIT: Bearcat and Tuscan: I am not really that surprised that Pozniak has been left out of the recent squads, but I will definitely get an answer from the staff when in Greece. A valid question, indeed.

Just an FYI, I am going to be in Larissa covering this match for RNO, so I look forward to seeing which of the Voyageurs' master-plans comes closest to Mr. Hart's.

FWIW, here is my line-up, I am opting for a lot of Euro guys as I am concerned about the MLS crew's fitness. I have included JDG because as I have mentioned we need to revive our talisman for a big 2011. I know him and Hart have a good relationship, and I want that to blossom again for us. I have included Gerba for more or the less the same reasons...:

Subs:

Hirschfeld

Straith

De Jong

Johnson

Jackson

Uccello

Gerba

Edgar

Peters

De Rosario

Since Hirsch is out of season, why not leave him out (yes, I know he's our de facto starter, but if Borjan is going to be playing...) in favour of Al-Shabani or Stillo as a potential sub. We should be getting younger guys into the squad to be looked at in the training camp at the very least.

Also, the lineup you've presented is fairly forward heavy. I would take Peters or Pozniak for a wide player instead of one of the strikers you've presented (probably Uccello, because he's not getting minutes or alternatively Gerba [but I know lots of people like Gerba]).

Subs:

Hirschfeld

Straith

De Jong

Johnson

Jackson

Uccello

Gerba

Edgar

Peters

De Rosario

Looking forward to hear/read from you. Thanks again for your good work!

As for your lineup, I like it. I see that you choose the in form Hume instead of Jackson and that would be a good move IMO. Maybe I would give a start to Straith instead of Stalteri.

BTW, JBB had a surprising showing against Ukraine, I'm wondering if he'll be at least in the roster in Greece.

As for the bold part in your post, I also hope this good relationship won't blind Hart in case JDG continues his awful spell at the club level. Let's remember that we've got 2 results in a row without JDG in the starting 11. I'm not sure he is indispensable to our success but I'm not against giving him a start.

FWIW, here is my line-up, I am opting for a lot of Euro guys as I am concerned about the MLS crew's fitness.

I don't think you'll get (nor should expect) much out of NA based players for a friendly at this time, regardless of what offseason training they've done or what not. With that in mind, it might be a final opportunity for younger Euro based guys on the fringes of the squad to make an impression with the coaching staff.

I'm more interested in seeing how Hart treats the Stalteri situation for this particular match and his relationship and selection of other senior players come Gold Cup time. I think De Guzman will rebound at club level as long as he plays it simple because I like his linking play and skillset, but as was mentioned elsewhere I wonder how Hart will deal with DeRo? Will he keep selecting him? And if so, how will he use?

I'd like to see a Euro based squad of fringe guys more or less as well. Maybe something like this

-------------Borjan

Peters--Straith--Edgar--De Jong

----------JDG--Bernier

Jackson-----Hutch-----Simpson

-------------Gerba

Stillo

Mckenna

Klukowski

Pacheo

Issey

Uccello

Occean

I don't think DeRo should be called and not as a snub, but if he does join Celtic he won't want to leave right away on international duty. He will get called again, but now is not the time.

I wouldn't mind letting De Jong see more of the pitch in the coming year, I think he could prove to be very useful... its just too bad he's left footed, and has the incredibly difficult job of taking Simpson or Klukowski's spot on that left hand side.

I don't like Hume out on the wing. That is not his position and I have never seen him play well there. Therefore, I don't see a perfect spot for him in the formation that Hart seems to prefer.

Hmmm... I would agree that his previous performances for us out wide have been woeful. But I think that Hart's new conception of the 4-2-3-1 is actually more suited to Hume than to Jackson.

Let's face it, Jackson has done some good things out wide but his crossing delivery has been suspect. Hume is an excellent crosser of the ball and a valuable guy to have on the pitch for his set-piece delivery alone.

As much as I would like to see Hume play through the middle of the park, he is not the kind of centre forward we need to spearhead the attack and hold up the ball. The right forward position seems to be the only option for his inclusion.

We know what Jacko can do out there, so let's give Humey a look. As mentioned by Ian over at RNO, Will Johnson is a possible man for that right attacking spot as well. Messirs Hoillett and De Guzman Jr. wouldn't be half-bad either.

Hmmm... I would agree that his previous performances for us out wide have been woeful. But I think that Hart's new conception of the 4-2-3-1 is actually more suited to Hume than to Jackson.

Let's face it, Jackson has done some good things out wide but his crossing delivery has been suspect. Hume is an excellent crosser of the ball and a valuable guy to have on the pitch for his set-piece delivery alone.

I like Hume's set play delivery dimension, but I don't think he's particularly good at maintaining possession with accurate passes or proper passing decisions. That's why a guy like Issey is always in the attacking mix for Hart: he might not have the "shake and bake" in the 1 v 1 that you'd like, but he's two footed and normally pretty consistent with making the "ball do the work" and helping the team keep possession. Ditto Johnson, though I think he performs better for us in the midfield 3. So lots of things for Hart to consider amongst the committed candidates he has at his disposal.

I like Hume's set play delivery dimension, but I don't think he's particularly good at maintaining possession with accurate passes or proper passing decisions. That's why a guy like Issey is always in the attacking mix for Hart: he might not have the "shake and bake" in the 1 v 1 that you'd like, but he's two footed and normally pretty consistent with making the "ball do the work" and helping the team keep possession. Ditto Johnson, though I think he performs better for us in the midfield 3. So lots of things for Hart to consider amongst the committed candidates he has at his disposal.

Good point about Issey. He is certainly one of the players who can help us keep the ball and make good passing decision.

I actually have to disagree that he might not have the 'shake and bake', I think Issey's footwork and flair is amongst the best on our team. Though he might not offer the pace, grit and finishing of Jackson, nor the feistiness and long-range capabilities and finishing of Hume.

Would be interesting to have a look.

And agreed on Will Johnson, I'd rather see him in the central three. He has certainly played the role of holding mid on numerous occasions for RSL.

Johnson does so well in the midfield three I think it would be a waste to put him anywhere else. They guy is a workhorse, is good in the tackle and can move the ball forward. Perfect for that role.

As for Hume I find my self flip-flopping on him a lot. He is a talent that should be utilized but all his best performances in a Canadian jersey have come as an impact sub, so why not use him there. The Honduras game at the Gold Cup last year was a perfect example of us being in complete control near the end but not having that extra option to change things up and give the opponent back four something new to deal with. Having an impact sub like Hume in that situation really may have helped out. So I'm more than willing to keep Hume on the bench if it means having that little bit of something different in an attacking sense, ready to come on.

Good point about Issey. He is certainly one of the players who can help us keep the ball and make good passing decision.

I actually have to disagree that he might not have the 'shake and bake', I think Issey's footwork and flair is amongst the best on our team. Though he might not offer the pace, grit and finishing of Jackson, nor the feistiness and long-range capabilities and finishing of Hume.

Would be interesting to have a look.

Issey has quality ball skills, no doubt, just that lack of burst to get separation in a 1 v 1 on the wing. Simpson gives you that element on the left, Jackson has some whippet in him on the right, Peters has a burst but not the most consistent technique.

As a sub on the right wing vs Jamaica during the WCQ Hume had an impressive effort. He then followed that up vs Honduras being a sub for Radzinski on the left and then getting subbed by Brennan, no injury concern, which should summarize how his performance went that evening. Whether or not he should get the start in Greece or in the future, it doesn't matter me, as long as the guy out there delivers the goods!

As much as I would like to see Hume play through the middle of the park, he is not the kind of centre forward we need to spearhead the attack and hold up the ball. The right forward position seems to be the only option for his inclusion.

We know what Jacko can do out there, so let's give Humey a look. As mentioned by Ian over at RNO, Will Johnson is a possible man for that right attacking spot as well. Messirs Hoillett and De Guzman Jr. wouldn't be half-bad either.

You are correct that Jackson isn't a natural wide player either. Both of those guys would be the perfect compliment for a target forward in a 4-4-2.

Where does Hoillett play? Left or right? From the games I have seen with Blackburn, I think he has always been on the left.

----------------------Al-Shaibani-----------------------

---Stalteri-----McKenna------Attakora------Klukowski---

---------------------De Guzman------------------------

-------Jackson--------Hutchinson--------Bernier--------

---------------Friend-------------Haber-----------------

As far as subs go:

1) Iain Hume

2) Dwayne De Rosario

3) Dejan Jakovic

4) David Hoilett / Eddie Sidra (Sidra should Hoilett turn down the cap)

5) Marcel De Jong

6) Milan Borjan

I think this group would play to one another's strengths well, a clear depth of attack and defense are considered with De Guzman playing the role of pivot for the team. With Bernier, Hutch, and Jackson he has three proven movers to get the ball forward to. Rob Friend has height and deserves a little attention as a possible Gold Cup and WCQ striker.

Jackson goes on the wing because Hart seems to enjoy playing him there, and rightly so. He's fitting in quite well at right wing. Haber most definitely deserves more caps, and I think Attakora could use a chance to prove himself with the Gold Cup and WCQ's on the way.

----------------------Al-Shaibani-----------------------

---Stalteri-----McKenna------Attakora------Klukowski---

---------------------De Guzman------------------------

-------Jackson--------Hutchinson--------Bernier--------

---------------Friend-------------Haber-----------------

As far as subs go:

1) Iain Hume

2) Dwayne De Rosario

3) Dejan Jakovic

4) David Hoilett / Eddie Sidra (Sidra should Hoilett turn down the cap)

5) Marcel De Jong

6) Milan Borjan

I think this group would play to one another's strengths well, a clear depth of attack and defense are considered with De Guzman playing the role of pivot for the team. With Bernier, Hutch, and Jackson he has three proven movers to get the ball forward to. Rob Friend has height and deserves a little attention as a possible Gold Cup and WCQ striker.

Jackson goes on the wing because Hart seems to enjoy playing him there, and rightly so. He's fitting in quite well at right wing. Haber most definitely deserves more caps, and I think Attakora could use a chance to prove himself with the Gold Cup and WCQ's on the way.

Not bad but a few problems with this. Haber is injured so won't be able to play anyways. Plus I think there's better options at this position.

Al-Shaibani hasn't been playing for Nimes and it seems from what Borjan has said previously is that Hart wants him to play against Greece. If not him then surely Hirschfeld.

Also, it would probably be weird not to include Simpson in the lineup given his form as of late.

Not bad but a few problems with this. Haber is injured so won't be able to play anyways. Plus I think there's better options at this position.

Al-Shaibani hasn't been playing for Nimes and it seems from what Borjan has said previously is that Hart wants him to play against Greece. If not him then surely Hirschfeld.

Also, it would probably be weird not to include Simpson in the lineup given his form as of late.

Borjan has also received regular minutes, whereas Al-Shaibani has not.

Archived