MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hume has awful ball control though (too much time in the English lower leagues), wouldn't be a good idea to put him in the midfield. I'd go with him off the bench as an offensive spark.

^ Yes. The fact is that he's a great puzzle piece that has never really fit into any of the versions of our puzzling senior team.

^ Yes. The fact is that he's a great puzzle piece that has never really fit into any of the versions of our puzzling senior team.

Hume is one of the few strikers we have getting regular 90 minute matches. When he inevitably moves to PNE in the New Year, he will solidify that. We need him in the squad as a starter for that reason. The minutes matter.

Maybe he hasn't fit into our MNT plans in the past but i think we can work him into the squad under Hart, who appears to be able to get the team to play well despite never really being able to field a full first 11.

Hume is one of the few strikers we have getting regular 90 minute matches. When he inevitably moves to PNE in the New Year, he will solidify that. We need him in the squad as a starter for that reason. The minutes matter.

I know he's getting several starts at club level, but I don't think his particular style of play has translated well into the style Hart wants his starters to play at international level. I've seen a lot of cheap possession losses from him as well as undisciplined running out of position. I am convinced that his style is best suited for that late game sub against a tiring defense, where he can provide some direct wing play on the right or cut in a shoot.

However, one big factor in his case for starting is his set play delivery, which we need to be much more consistent with in comparison to our CONCACAF rivals.

^Not to mention in the next match in Honduras when his free kick found the head of McKenna, the header rebounding off the bar for Hainault to put away (even though Hume slipped on contact during the initial kick).

The GC 09 featured some pretty poor corners from Klukowski and Bernier, especially in the QF match vs Honduras: we needed to capitalize on those situations because little was happening in open play.

Yes I remember that. I remember being concerned about our set play delivery, especially on corners. We weren't making use of ANY of them in 09. If Hume could be an answer for that, then perhaps he should be considered for a starting role. Despite what any of us think Hart's preferred style of play is, we don't really know for sure as things have been in flux for the last year or so with so many new faces. I'm thinking we should pretty much base all the starter spots on players who are currently getting as close to full 90s a game at their clubs. Nothing can take the place of match fitness.

I'm thinking we should pretty much base all the starter spots on players who are currently getting as close to full 90s a game at their clubs. Nothing can take the place of match fitness.

So based on the above criteria, would you revise the squad selection you originally proposed at the start of this thread?

Regular first team football should be an important consideration in selection, for sure, and I'm not arguing that particular point. Even Hart has stressed this in public statements. And maybe he'll give Hume another look in a central striking role come February. And though, like others, I speculate on what Hart's preferred style of play is, I do think a cornerstone of his tactics (of any successful tactics at international level, anywhere, for that matter) is maintaining possession and I don't think that's a strong suit in Hume's game. And historically, IMO I think he does better as a latter game sub.

I have said this before on this board and elsewhere, but my favourite choice of striker is a guy who's scoring or directly helping his team to score, keep possession, and win games. Though I based my opinions on Hume's past, maybe the time is now right for him. We'll see what the coaching staff decides come February.

Food for thought, but here is a little list I put together of our attacking players. I calculated all the goals scored since Gerba started with Montreal mid-July to get a sense of what our boys have been doing comparatively in the last third of the year or so. I included Cup games and MNT appearances, FWIW:

List of top Canadian goalscorers since July 15, 2010 (goals/appearances in all competitions)

Ali Gerba (13/17)

Olivier Occean (10/17)

Josh Simpson (8/19)

Dwayne De Rosario (8/23)

Tomas Radzinski (7/20)

Rob Friend (5/17)

Simeon Jackson (5/25)

Iain Hume (4/16)

Issey Nakajima (3/18)

Will Johnson (3/23)

Marcus Haber (2/15)

David Hoillet (0/12)

I wouldn't have Straith starting. I've been impressed with him in the past, but we always talk about the importance of getting regular playing time, and Straith hasn't been getting it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Peters been getting more time than Straith (not to say Peters has been consistently starting, because he hasn't, but he's certainly seen the pitch for Ipswich more than Straith has for Cottbus).

Why, oh why, even after Hart preaches playing time being such a key determinant of call-ups, is no one (Hart included) willing to give the RB spot to Pozniak or even have his versatility of of the bench? Straith has played 4 league games this season, Stalteri none, Nana is CB (is he not?), Peters has bounced around and been in and out of the line-up and........... ol' Chris Pozniak, the Rodney Dangerfield of the MNT, played 28 out of his Norwegian top flight's 30 games in 2010, all of them at right back. I realise I am a one man fan club here, but c'mon, give the guy some respect already!

^ I think you have a very good point nolando! You probably know at this point my first choice is Hutchinson there, not many agree with me and I know he is an important piece to our midfield, I base this on limited options at this position! I haven't seen any of Pozniak's matches, I think he has been solid whenever called for the MNT! I wasn't aware that he has played so much at that position with a club at a decent level, he may in fact be the answer there! It's up to Hart to have a good look at him at club level and make a decision! It can't be stressed enough how important it is to have a solid player in each position of our back four!

Why, oh why, even after Hart preaches playing time being such a key determinant of call-ups, is no one (Hart included) willing to give the RB spot to Pozniak or even have his versatility of of the bench? Straith has played 4 league games this season, Stalteri none, Nana is CB (is he not?), Peters has bounced around and been in and out of the line-up and........... ol' Chris Pozniak, the Rodney Dangerfield of the MNT, played 28 out of his Norwegian top flight's 30 games in 2010, all of them at right back. I realise I am a one man fan club here, but c'mon, give the guy some respect already!

Maybe he'll be back in the mix, we don't know. Maybe Hart simply doesn't rate him, we don't know that either. Regardless, I'd like to hear how he is doing (maybe a Red Nation On Line interview candidate?) and what he feels about his future with the MNT.

Maybe he'll be back in the mix, we don't know. Maybe Hart simply doesn't rate him, we don't know that either. Regardless, I'd like to hear how he is doing (maybe a Red Nation On Line interview candidate?) and what he feels about his future with the MNT.

The CSA really knows how to make a guy feel loved, eh? Not even listed on the CSA site, his profile has seemingly been deleted, although Hemming, Hastings, Rivas and Wassey are still listed.

He's 29, and has 24 caps and can play half the positions on the pitch. Has a few years of good football in him, I think, and has played tonnes in recent years, which on both accounts is more than I can say for our captain.

Actually, nobody has more anger over Pozniak's lack of inclusion than me. Hart said, "Gotta be playing the games" yet Poz has, and Stalteri keeps getting the starts.

Frustrating as hell.

^I'm really curious about who will get the call and the start at RB for Greece. If Stalteri's current club limbo remains the same and yet he still gets the call, the start, and the captaincy for this match, then you're really wondering.

I haven't watched Pozniak play in a long time. As much as I have appreciated his versatility component I never rated him that much as a player, but that's my lone opinion. And maybe that's what Hart feels, who knows: regardless of their respective club situations maybe he feels that Stalteri has more to offer, even now, and maybe he's opting to look to the future with including the likes of young Straith as opposed to another veteran back up.

But then again... maybe Pozniak we'll get the recall and even the start at RB in Greece! All the more reason to ask the player and/or the manager about the situation.

Only a little hint at the RedNation guys. Ahem... Max??

I am not affliated with this or any other CanSoc blogs but I have liked the way these folks have tracked down individual players, so good on them and I have given them a plug. If the mods here feel I have violated forum guidelines, than I accept the wrist slap without protest.

^I'm really curious about who will get the call and the start at RB for Greece. If Stalteri's current club limbo remains the same and yet he still gets the call, the start, and the captaincy for this match, then you're really wondering.

I haven't watched Pozniak play in a long time. As much as I have appreciated his versatility component I never rated him that much as a player, but that's my lone opinion. And maybe that's what Hart feels, who knows: regardless of their respective club situations maybe he feels that Stalteri has more to offer, even now, and maybe he's opting to look to the future with including the likes of young Straith as opposed to another veteran back up.

But then again... maybe Pozniak we'll get the recall and even the start at RB in Greece! All the more reason to ask the player and/or the manager about the situation.

I wouldn't mind seeing Poz get the start vs. Greece if Hart likes what he sees in training. We haven't seen Poz in a while and since that time suddenly he has been a consistent starter in Norway so he definitely deserves a recall at least. If Stalteri doesn't get out of Gladbach in this window then he should be dropped simple as... If Paul doesn't move or at least terminate his contract I think that is very disrespectful to our program from our captain especially coming into a WCQ year.

I am not affliated with this or any other CanSoc blogs but I have liked the way these folks have tracked down individual players, so good on them and I have given them a plug. If the mods here feel I have violated forum guidelines, than I accept the wrist slap without protest.

No no I meant it to get Max's attention. Nothing against you. I agree - it'd be great if RN could get to speak with Poz.

No no I meant it to get Max's attention. Nothing against you. I agree - it'd be great if RN could get to speak with Poz.

I figured that but I didn't want to stir up any more issues already discussed in this thread:http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?41314-Getting-sick-of-the-....-blog-spammers-here-!!!

I would say that I'm pleased to see that Pozniak is finally having another extended run in one position (RB) as opposed to the utility man/"Gerry Dattilio" manner he was used at other clubs in the past: that previous practice makes a guy a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Archived