MNT vs. Greece - Starting XI

Tuscan

Post your pick for the starting eleven for the upcoming friendly vs. Greece. Also, choose who you'd have on the bench. and who would get subbed in for who. You can have a couple scenarios if you wish (i.e. Canada leading/behind, either a goalless draw into the 2nd half or a draw with goals... you choose).

---------------------Hirsch---------------------

Stalteri----McKenna---Straith----Klukowski

-------------Bernier--------JDG---------------

----------------------Hutch--------------------

Jackson-------------------------------Simpson

----------------------Hume--------------------

Bench:

Borjan

Attakora (in for Stalteri - 75min)

Jakovic

Edgar

Sidra (in for Bernier - 68min)

Dunfield

Friend (in for Jackson - 80min)

I only chose 18 players - I do think that we'll call more than 18 but seeing as how only 18 can dress I kept the bench small.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Occean is healthy I think he needs to be called. He did well against Ukraine and I think he deserves more than one look with the kind of performances he put in Germany (even if it's in third division).

From MLS, I think Hart should bring JDG, Johnson, DeRo and Jakovic if he feels those are in our top 20 players.

With no January/February North American friendly, I think Hart has to call North American players if available. My first preferences would be Gerba (who had no callups in 2010. remember: we should see him again), one of Philippe Davies and Terry Dunfield so we can see what we have there, as well as both Attakora and Cann from TFC. Maybe de Guzman, depending on availability.

Obviously, I'd like to see Tomasz Radzinski get the call as well. Borjan should come, and my other Euro must-see would be David Edgar. Let's actually play the kid and see where he fits.

And I'd like to see Hart keep a more balanced bench than he did against Ukraine. Maybe start Attakora or Straith at RB and keep Stalteri as a substitute to go in at MF or DF if we get a lead, things like that.

----------------Borjan---------------------

Straith----McKenna---Edgar----Klukowski

-------------JDG2--------JDG---------------

-----------------Hoillett--------------------

subs: Dero (jackson), Friend (Hoillett)

3:1 canada victory

I really think we need Straith at RB and Gerba up front. Hume and Stalteri for backups. Cap a couple more but plan on this being the team you take to the Gold cup and from 2011 on we need wins to move up the CONCACAF

The Greeks are very good at playing a tight defense so we will need someone with a power shot from outside the box (25-30 yarders) to loosen them up. Ali can do that. Even if he doesn't score it might pry them out of their defensive game plan.

Post your pick for the starting eleven for the upcoming friendly vs. Greece. Also, choose who you'd have on the bench. and who would get subbed in for who. You can have a couple scenarios if you wish (i.e. Canada leading/behind, either a goalless draw into the 2nd half or a draw with goals... you choose).

---------------------Hirsch---------------------

Stalteri----McKenna---Straith----Klukowski

Bench:

Borjan

Attakora (in for Stalteri - 75min)

Jakovic

Edgar

Sidra (in for Bernier - 68min)

Dunfield

Friend (in for Jackson - 80min)

I only chose 18 players - I do think that we'll call more than 18 but seeing as how only 18 can dress I kept the bench small.

---------------------Borjan---------------------

Hoilett-------------------------------Simpson

Bench:

Stillo

Attakora

Jakovic

Jackson

Stalteri

Dunfield

Occean

Lars left out as it's his offseason, and we have other European based keepers to evaluate who are in season.

I wouldn't have Straith starting. I've been impressed with him in the past, but we always talk about the importance of getting regular playing time, and Straith hasn't been getting it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Peters been getting more time than Straith (not to say Peters has been consistently starting, because he hasn't, but he's certainly seen the pitch for Ipswich more than Straith has for Cottbus).

If Occean is healthy I think he needs to be called. He did well against Ukraine and I think he deserves more than one look with the kind of performances he put in Germany (even if it's in third division).

From MLS, I think Hart should bring JDG, Johnson, DeRo and Jakovic if he feels those are in our top 20 players.

As I pondered on the other thread about this match, TFC would be running preseason training in that area of the world at the same time so I'm wondering if Hart might draw upon one or two from that roster. But as I think about it, I tend to agree with Blackdude in that I can see this as being more of a Euro-heavy line up even if I believe that some of his top choice guys are North American based.

As I pondered on the other thread about this match, TFC would be running preseason training in that area of the world at the same time so I'm wondering if Hart might draw upon one or two from that roster. But as I think about it, I tend to agree with Blackdude in that I can see this as being more of a Euro-heavy line up even if I believe that some of his top choice guys are North American based.

I think we will have a training camp in the US in January (expect mostly North American based players), so Hart will have some time to figure out if some of his top players are deserving of a trip to Greece in early February.

---------------------Borjan---------------------

Hoilett-------------------------------Simpson

Bench:

Stillo

Attakora

Jakovic

Jackson

Stalteri

Dunfield

Occean

Lars left out as it's his offseason, and we have other European based keepers to evaluate who are in season.

The HUme experiment as a lone striker has been disastrous (GC 2007 and South Africa). I think we have 3 decent options in Gerba, Occean and Friend to play on top of a 4-5-1, so we should stick with one of those IMO.

I'm not sure what Stillo has done to deserve a call (from what I understand he is the U20 back up) but let me say that we should have Lars in there to cover Borjan (or the other way around).

The HUme experiment as a lone striker has been disastrous (GC 2007 and South Africa). I think we have 3 decent options in Gerba, Occean and Friend to play on top of a 4-5-1, so we should stick with one of those IMO.

I'm not sure what Stillo has done to deserve a call (from what I understand he is the U20 back up) but let me say that we should have Lars in there to cover Borjan (or the other way around).

I watched that friendly against South Africa in 2007 but really I don't remember Hume playing there as a lone striker, anyway, I think the whole team looked bad that night. What I recall however is Hume doing a poor job during the the WCQ as a right winger/forward, and that was just normal, it is not his place. If Hume is to play for the MNT, he should play as the lone striker IMO. Let them play in the same positions they play in their clubs, and if he can't deliver, then better luck to the next guy.

I'm no fan of small player being used alone up front because this player will most likely be outmuscled by stronger defenders which increase the loss of possession and you also take away some aerial threats.

In a 4-4-2 I have no problem with starting Hume up front but in the system Hart almost used, I can't find a justification to start Hume over Friend, Occean or Gerba up front.

I'm no fan of small player being used alone up front because this player will most likely be outmuscled by stronger defenders which increase the loss of possession and you also take away some aerial threats.

This is true, which is why I felt in the past that Hume didn't fit the current MNT formation. However, given his current club form, I believe Hume deserves a call, at least as a late substitute.

I didn't look at this when I put together my XI, but which of our Nats players are currently getting minutes, even if it's only via subs? One would think that should determine the call-ups. I don't think we can afford to not get FIFA points out of this one. Ukraine was nice, let's give another Euro side a hard time.

In a 4-4-2 I have no problem with starting Hume up front but in the system Hart almost used, I can't find a justification to start Hume over Friend, Occean or Gerba up front.

Hume is going to have to take a page out of Jackson's book and shoot for a wing spot or even a midfield spot (bunch of players are in that position such as Issey, Johnson, De Jong etc.). Im sure even he would admit he isn't fit for that lone spot up front.

Gerba!!!!

Superb reawakening with IMFC, and we don't want to see if that will translate to Canada's most effective striker being even more effective?

I have no problem with calling Gerba if he's part of the January camp but I'm not sure this game in Greece is the best timing for him since he will be in early pre-season mode. So in-season players like Friend and Occean might have the edge for the start.

Gerba!!!!

Superb reawakening with IMFC, and we don't want to see if that will translate to Canada's most effective striker being even more effective?

Thats what I want to see and I'd bet Hart wants to see that too. Friend was alright vs. Honduras, Occean was alright vs. Ukraine but both have had troubles with their clubs since (Friend beaten out and Occean with injuries). I'd be really surprised if Gerba is called and isn't in the XI vs. Greece.

+1, but I think Hume's a quality attacking threat off of the bench in the latter stages of a match, so with his good vein of form he's going to be in the running for selection.

+1, but I think Hume's a quality attacking threat off of the bench in the latter stages of a match, so with his good vein of form he's going to be in the running for selection.

Absolutely, I think with Hume current form he's probably in our top 18 players. What about trying a 4-4-2 with Hume being joined up front with one of the big forward?

Archived