Canadians abroad: December 24-30, 2010

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 24-30, 2010.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

In the English Championship today: Jackson plays the first half at home vs Sheffield United and is subbed out with the Canaries trailing 1-2, his replacement (Hoolahan) comes on and scores a hat trick for a 4-2 Norwich win! Edgar stays on the bench for Burnley as they lose 0-2 at home to S****horpe!

In the English Championship today: Jackson plays the first half at home vs Sheffield United and is subbed out with the Canaries trailing 1-2, his replacement (Hoolahan) comes on and scores a hat trick for a 4-2 Norwich win! Edgar stays on the bench for Burnley as they lose 0-2 at home to S****horpe!

I haven't been following Jackson lately but it seems like it's been a long time since he scored a goal.

I haven't been following Jackson lately but it seems like it's been a long time since he scored a goal.

Very true! Jackson last scored on the 23rd of October, the only goal of the match at home to Middlesborough! That's a long time without a goal and has to be a little concerning from a Canadian perspective!

I think the more worrisome part is, "his replacement (Hoolahan) comes on and scores a hat trick."

Similar thing happened to Friend a while back, and in general, our boys abroad who are on the bubble don't seem to be making much of their opportunities off the bench, and then are getting outshone by the competition for their position.

Good evening from Norfolk,

As both a Norwich city supporter and with a keen interest in all things Canadian just a brief update on Jackson.

He is struggling at the moment although the team is doing very well indeed so I suspect it might be getting to him a bit. Here are few observations although his manger Paul Lambert might have slightly different views.

He is not playing off the shoulder of the defender which I find strange given his pace.

The timing of his runs can be poor, again with that pace he really ought to be moving well off the ball so others can try and find him.

In and around the area his shooting is pretty good but he is not taking a chance and having a go often enough, confidence.

He is having to play in a three man attack which I don’t think suits him that well

Hope this answers a few questions and by the way where can I get a Canadian football ( soccer but hate to call it that) shirt for my five year old son, he is 50% Canadian and would love one?

^Thanks for the quality assessment!

He's playing for us as a right winger in a three man attack, but with a fair bit of defensive back tracking as well. Is he better suited playing alongside another, perhaps more physical strike partner?

Certainly the three man attack option seems to cause him problems, as you say he has to drop deep and that really isn’t his game.

For Norwich he has Grant Holt to play alongside with who is absolutely the typical English No. 9, for those who know your English game picture Alan Shearer with a little less finesse and ability so to that end Jackson should be fine.

I’m not sure how Gillingham played him although he fell out with their former manger big time but to my mind he needs to play in a traditional 4-4-2 formation if you are going to get the best from him.

In our last game the lad you replaced him Wes Hoolahan is far more of an inside forward that’ll play in behind the front two and pop up all over the pitch and of course scored a hatrick which doesn’t look good for Jackson. To be fair he was asked to play a completely different roll but I fear his confidence will take a battering.

I really hope it works our for him but if Norwich sign any more forwards this transfer window I suspect he may go out on loan

Norwich have agreed to sign Aaron Wilbrahim (sp?) from MK Dons. Jackson to worry now?

Doubtful, he’s been brought in as cover for Grant Holt, Jackson tends to be rotating with Wes Hoolahan and Chris martin depending on injuries and formation.

Still I’ll do my best to report on tomorrow’s game when we take on league leaders QPR

Archived