Paul Mariner

Strider

Carver coming back to TFC, seems like something MLSE would do.

Their words will go something like this, Carver has experience overseas, and familiarity with the MLS game and the TFC staff structure.

And he's sorted out his head case issues...where is the facepalm emoticon when you need it.

I wonder if he might find his way back to TFC as an assistant?

Hope not but maybe not as far fetched as it normally would be given he shares the Bobby Robson connection with Paul Mariner hence why they may have hooked up briefly at Plymouth Argyle. Mariner was Ipswich Town's target man striker when they were a top club in English football in the late 70s and early 80s when Bobby Robson was their manager (he was a bit like Danny Dichio but a lot more skillful and set up the chances for a goal scoring Scotland international called Alan Brazil) while Carver was Robson's assistant at Newcastle United.

Shows how little some people know about soccer that they would be underwhelmed by Mariner's track record in the game. He was superb at the top level in England as a player (compare and contrast with Carver and Cummins who had playing careers that were basically non-existant) and by all accounts did a great job with Steve Nichol in New England so TFC appear to have landed on their feet OK despite the recent turmoil. Next up to clear the decks for a fresh start should be De Rosario and Cochranes' departures but that might be too much to hope for unfortunately.

Some input from Plymouth: Mariner brought Carver to Plymouth Argyle just over a year ago, after Mariner had taken over from Paul Sturrock in charge of the team. Then, in July, when Argyle hired Peter Reid, Mariner and Carver remained on the staff. The cynics said that Argyle could not afford to pay them off, which might have been true. Carver was the first to get an offer of another job, at Sheffield United, which he has now lost. Unlike Mariner, however, I don't think he has any family reasons for wanting to return to North America.

Mariner did his best at Argyle with a very average squad. I think his coaching career needs to be judged on all his years at the Revs, and not on less than a season in charge of a failing side which he inherited.

Some input from Plymouth: Mariner brought Carver to Plymouth Argyle just over a year ago, after Mariner had taken over from Paul Sturrock in charge of the team. Then, in July, when Argyle hired Peter Reid, Mariner and Carver remained on the staff. The cynics said that Argyle could not afford to pay them off, which might have been true. Carver was the first to get an offer of another job, at Sheffield United, which he has now lost. Unlike Mariner, however, I don't think he has any family reasons for wanting to return to North America.

Mariner did his best at Argyle with a very average squad. I think his coaching career needs to be judged on all his years at the Revs, and not on less than a season in charge of a failing side which he inherited.

Mariner is better than some choices, especially if he can attract Nicol from New England to help him out. The pair of them were able to extract many wins out of a shoestring budget in New England. TFC, for all it's faults, knows how to spend money on players...even if they do it poorly.

Mariner is better than some choices, especially if he can attract Nicol from New England to help him out. The pair of them were able to extract many wins out of a shoestring budget in New England. TFC, for all it's faults, knows how to spend money on players...even if they do it poorly.

I agree, Mariner with funds should be an interesting scenerio in the MLS.

I think that's a fair point.

While TFC isn't in a league of their own financially, they can definitely claim to be amongst a handful of clubs that have more resources than the rest. Regardless of the salary cap in place, there are numerous ways that spending more has advantages. Unquestionably, they have a lot more than New England, maybe the cheapest club in the entire league.

While fixing TFC isn't a one year job, I think it isn't mission impossible, as there are some favorable circumstances for a new manager.

I think that's a fair point.

While TFC isn't in a league of their own financially, they can definitely claim to be amongst a handful of clubs that have more resources than the rest. Regardless of the salary cap in place, there are numerous ways that spending more has advantages. Unquestionably, they have a lot more than New England, maybe the cheapest club in the entire league.

While fixing TFC isn't a one year job, I think it isn't mission impossible, as there are some favorable circumstances for a new manager.

The salary cap is kind of a joke to be honest. With their three designated players, and allocation money last year, we can estimate the actual salary hit of New York to be 10-12 million in a 2.4 million cap league. Teams that want success can go out and spend gobs of money, but so far that hasn't exactly translated into success. A lot of it comes down to the fact that many of the most expensive players are European washouts, and has beens. Ironically the most productive players seem to be significantly cheaper than the high priced big name guys.

Archived