Yallop and Watson scout Japan

nolando

^ If you say Oriental one more time, I'm going to make sure you have an "Occident" next time you're standing under a crane.

Okay. Chill. Is this the latest word to not be PC when used? Do you want another word used to descibe 1/3rd of the world's population? I can never figure out why China doesn't make every World Cup. India has a cricket obsession that makes our hockey locked media look open to other games by comparisson so I can understand their not making it but what team sports dominate in China? Plus like Russell Peters says "they are good at kicking!".

Anyway back on topic. I doubt if they will find much but it is always good to look. No matter where you send scouts the whole idea is to find someone others have missed or passed up on who can fill in a weakness on your team. What would SJ's weakness be? Well Wondo got 18 and the next best got 3 so that might be something. A goalie to replace Cannon?

Okay. Chill. Is this the latest word to not be PC when used? Do you want another word used to descibe 1/3rd of the world's population? I can never figure out why China doesn't make every World Cup. India has a cricket obsession that makes our hockey locked media look open to other games by comparisson so I can understand their not making it but what team sports dominate in China? Plus like Russell Peters says "they are good at kicking!".

Anyway back on topic. I doubt if they will find much but it is always good to look. No matter where you send scouts the whole idea is to find someone others have missed or passed up on who can fill in a weakness on your team. What would SJ's weakness be? Well Wondo got 18 and the next best got 3 so that might be something. A goalie to replace Cannon?

If by latest, you mean out of use for 20 years, then yes.

Asian is an appropriate term, alternatively what country or ethnic group said Asian is from.

Merriam Webster defines 'oriental' as 'one who is a native of east Asia or is of east Asian descent' which seems perfectly reasonable for the context of this discussion.

So is it no longer PC to refer to the 'Orient'?

And who decides what is PC and what is not?

Merriam Webster defines 'oriental' as 'one who is a native of east Asia or is of east Asian descent' which seems perfectly reasonable for the context of this discussion.

The Merriam Webster Webster also defines "negro" as, "a member of a race of humankind native to Africa and classified according to physical features" but that doesn't make me any keener to use this other word that too will hopefully leave common usage with our grandparents' generation.

Anyone under the age of 60 and still using it freely is either living under (overtop of/ next to) a rock or incredibly insensitive to the changes in the last two decades.

If by latest, you mean out of use for 20 years, then yes.

Asian is an appropriate term, alternatively what country or ethnic group said Asian is from.

It is true you don't hear the term Oriental very much anymore (though possibly they still use it in some regions). However, there are no negative connotations to the term and it is simply a synonym to Asian that has gone a bit out of fashion. There is nothing wrong with tmcmurph using it so why give him a hard time about it?

This is all awkward but hopefully I can end it.

This isn't a big bad PC issue, it's a finding out that just because you grew up with a term, doesn't mean the people your refering too accept the term ( I always think about how it's almost snooty outside of french areas to say 'paris' the way it's supposed to be said, could you imagine if the world told us, were 'kanabians' and rolled their eyes at anyone who correctly called us canadians?).

I understand completely the feelings being described, you were pretty much taught that was the correct terminology (probably by someone else outside the group) and after 40ish years like that you find it next to impossible to believe that word you've used 1000's of times is offensive. Unfortunately, the general racism in history means some of the oldest terms are fundementally offensive (whether overtly or like a visitor naming an inhabited place and over generalizations like in this example) and should be done away with.

I mean for real, history is racist, racist as hell, so the idea that you can defend your terms by their 'oldness' isn't exactly apt. To be fair though he's not going around being super offensive, it's more like 30 or 40 years ago and saying 'coloured', alot of people are going to look at you like 'who dug the american civil war vet?'. The fact of the matter is that if a large group of people insisted we call them poopoopeepeesmellmyfeety, that's their perogative, you can pull out all the english text books you want, it's up to them to decide and you to adapt.

It's honestly not very hard to stop saying a word, you say it a few more times accidentaly but eventually it's probably gone till your senile. Your choices are, to ignore the pc people and now be purposely antagonistic or to just adapt like you've been doing your whole life

When I was a kid, we had to adapt our langauge abit to keep up with what we knew of the world. I'm now an adult, it's, obviously, still evolving. I at no time expect this to stop, you can either complain about it, or just continue to update your vocabularly as you've been doing your whole life.

Just remember, you can't go around telling people of a group your not a part of, what your dad told you when you were a kid, it's in no way your place. I mean how many of you found out eventually that some of the most simplified cliche's you were told as a child were completely untrue? Deep down it still feels completely true because you've accepted it for so long but you still have to make this 'against your feelings' leap (Like how in the usa, in the 60's alot of people were told so much racist trash, it was fact to them, indisputable gut fact, but some of them made a concerted rational effort to change, the moral of the story is sometimes what you feel...Is well, wrong)

sorry for going off topic, but hopefully this can all be over now, the people saying the word are (currently) just mildly misinformed and will hopefully move on now that they've been informed (it's honestly not embaressing to admit this unless you spend weeks fussing about it). sorry for going way off topic

^In terms of fan support and on-field success over their entire histories, Cerezo is not so far behind Gamba. Gamba has been far more successful in the J League era, therefore, they are perceived to be the bigger club. It's great to see both clubs qualify for the AFC Champions' League for 2011, though. I'm hoping for an all-Osaka meeting in the knockout rounds.

Cerezo Osaka > Gamba Osaka... discuss.

Vancouver fans always love to support the ridiculous teams.

Also Juby, did you completely miss tmc saying his wife is asian? I know you're defending him but... People make a big stink about **** that doesn't matter. For Canadians to hop on a guy cause he said "oriental" on an internet forum in passing, is hilarious.

Also Juby, did you completely miss tmc saying his wife is asian? I know you're defending him but... People make a big stink about **** that doesn't matter. For Canadians to hop on a guy cause he said "oriental" on an internet forum in passing, is hilarious.

*sigh* I was just trying to explain it in a way that would allow everyone to walk away from an awkward issue. Also, I really don't think anyone get's a pass or anything, if it makes someone feel uncomfortable and it makes a decent amount of sense I don't think it's a huge deal to tweak your vocab (we do it all the time, but when were put on the defensive sometimes we make an erroneous line in the sand). *shutting up now*

Ah, yes, the "some of my best friends are (enter ethnic group) - so I can't be racially insensitive" defense.

The term "oriental" is almost exclusively used when describing features attributed to Asians which are negative, inexplicable, unattractive, or otherwise sinister. Few people says. "Oriental girls are so well dressed. Orientals are so much better at Math than us." "Orientals make great cars." Instead it's used 99% of the time to describe borderline racist (certainly stereotypical) comments about video game addiction, overwork, overstudy, inability to adjust to new cultures, etc. If an umbrella term for a group of people is never used in connection with a compliment then it essentially becomes a negative connotation in itself.

I swear, and this is from someone whose wife is also from Asia, using the term "oriental" in the year 2010 is like using the term "negro" in 1970 - at best it's a potential powderkeg, and certainly people will be judging you behind your back if not to your face, at worse it's completely racist.

Juby is spot on with his gentle suggestion, and I second the advice. If you happen to come from a place where such rascist expressions are more commonplace (Alberta, parts of Quebec, Germany. etc), I'm afraid it makes it no less unacceptable.

By God, Higgins! This man is clearly racist against... HIS OWN WIFE *bum bum bwaaa!*

"hey a lot of people find this term offensive now, obviously you didn't know but you probably shouldn't use it" > "I'm gonna drop a crane on your head if you say that"

:)

Nope, I dislike ManUre too much to like FCUM, although I do like the spirit of the club's establishment.

Have a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon.

And Trident, why are such clubs "ridiculous"? Is it any less ridiculous to support a team managed by Nick De Santis?

Good thing I don't support a team currently managed by him.

Look, all I'm saying is that the fans of Vancouver are collectively "that guy" that loves Amateur 9th division underdogs featuring scrappy youngsters and grizzled past-their-prime wanderers, just because "they're real" or however those types of people want to justify it.

Just having a little fun, that's all.

Nope, I dislike ManUre too much to like FCUM, although I do like the spirit of the club's establishment.

Have a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon.

And Trident, why are such clubs "ridiculous"? Is it any less ridiculous to support a team managed by Nick De Santis?

don't mind him, nothing he says is important. yokohama fc looks like a cool team!

Good thing I don't support a team currently managed by him.

Look, all I'm saying is that the fans of Vancouver are collectively "that guy" that loves Amateur 9th division underdogs featuring scrappy youngsters and grizzled past-their-prime wanderers, just because "they're real" or however those types of people want to justify it.

And proud of it! I was briefly on the board of a ninth-division English non-league club, and it was an amazing experience. It was very easy to "justify" (not that I need to) supporting them - they were my local club.

But please... tell us how watching Serie A on your satellite TV along with all the other Euro-snob sheep here in North America is better. (And please, don't forget to use a coaster.)

And proud of it! I was briefly on the board of a ninth-division English non-league club, and it was an amazing experience. It was very easy to "justify" (not that I need to) supporting them - they were my local club.

But please... tell us how watching Serie A on your satellite TV along with all the other Euro-snob sheep here in North America is better. (And please, don't forget to use a coaster.)

I'm not fighting for either. I'm just saying you Van City boys are the most likely to be into that whole scene, and you haven't proved my stereotype wrong.

For the record, I barely pay attention to any other team than IMFC.

I'd say the stereotypical breakdown of Canada fans:

Van City loves the scrappy underdogs

TFC has a diverse group of teams spanning all countries and team values,

IMFC fans are a mix of that, and can't be arsed for teams other than IMFC.

Just having some fun.

I'm not fighting for either. I'm just saying you Van City boys are the most likely to be into that whole scene, and you haven't proved my stereotype wrong.

For the record, I barely pay attention to any other team than IMFC.

I'd say the stereotypical breakdown of Canada fans:

Van City loves the scrappy underdogs

TFC has a diverse group of teams spanning all countries and team values,

IMFC fans are a mix of that, and can't be arsed for teams other than IMFC.

Just having some fun.

No respect for IMFC here, but I can respect the fact that Montreal supporters are similar to us in the sense we support a variety teams.

Abroad:

1. Hampton & Richmond FC (hate AFC Wimbeldon & MK Dons :D )

2. Newcastle United (family club)

3. Botafogo (family club)

The non Vancouver stereotypes are tougher to nail down, but nearly all Vancouver fans are:

Polite

Timid

love scrappy underdog teams

I'm not sure if I offer a different perspective as someone who has been an insider and outsider watching Vancouver sports (after so many years abroad) but I actually see Vancouverites as mostly supporting only winners or at least upper-table teams, and being quite disinterested, cynical even, in supporting a sub-par team in any sport for very long. The love affair/ hate-on for the Canucks over the past 30 years is a perfect example, there were shades of that with the Grizzlies and I envision an up-and-down relationship once the Caps go into bigger digs.

Archived