D- Roger Thompson | USA / University of Cincinnati | Brampton, ON, CAN

M- Kevin Cobby | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC | Brampton, ON, CAN

M- Oscar Cordon | CAN / Toronto FC Academy | Toronto, ON, CAN

M- Ethan Gage | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC | Cochrane, AB, CAN

M- Jaineil Hoilett | GER / FSV Mainz'05 | Brampton, ON, CAN

M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Clarkson Sheridan | Brampton, ON, CAN

M- Matt Stinson | USA / Winthrop University | Toronto, ON, CAN

F- Jerome Baker | Unattached / sans club | Toronto, ON, CAN

F- Niall Cousens | CZE / FC Hlucin (on loan from Slavia Praha) | Vancouver, BC, CAN

F- Erik Grigore | CAN / North York Astros | Toronto, ON, CAN

F- Nicholas Lindsay | CAN / Toronto FC Academy | Brampton, ON, CAN

F- Massimo Mirabelli | CAN / Portugal FC | Brampton, ON, CAN

Woot woot, Brampton ftw!

I always knew we had some of the best raw talent in the country from my experience in the high school system, ROPSAA tier 1. Some of the kids on Notre Dame, St Augustine, D'youville and Cardinale Leger were certainly elite level guys.

What's his beef with the Voyageurs?

Was banned a couple times here for written abuse of other players in the U-20 squad I believe, maybe even of fellow Vees. His son plays 3rd division in the Cz Republic, and Miro feels it's justification that Andrew make every U-20 team and be the player the team is built around. He also feels Niall Cousens (who plays a higher level, Div 2 Cz. Republic) isn't good enough to be on the U-20 team. So he spent a lot of time slagging Cousens, and pumping his own son.

Was banned a couple times here for written abuse of other players in the U-20 squad I believe, maybe even of fellow Vees. His son plays 3rd division in the Cz Republic, and Miro feels it's justification that Andrew make every U-20 team and be the player the team is built around. He also feels Niall Cousens (who plays a higher level, Div 2 Cz. Republic) isn't good enough to be on the U-20 team. So he spent a lot of time slagging Cousens, and pumping his own son.

Ah.

Growing up in Brampton, kinda makes me wish I had played after the age of six, the competition around town must be ludicrous! Got back into the game long time after I left the place.

I occasionally see 70 to 80 kids aged 12 to 16 all at the Soccer Center running drills and skirmishes in a very organized manner whenever I drive by.

Erik Grigore of the North York Astros will be at the camp

ohhh yeah? he's a pretty decent player from what I saw, how old is he anyway? (football manager 2011 had him as like 25 which I was pretty sure was wrong) edit: nm, found it, he's 19.

I look at this roster and I am just not that impressed. I know in the past we have been fooled by some of the big club teams that our youth players were associated with, but isn't that at least a sign of potential as opposed to guys in the CSL. With European based players in the past, I had never seen them play and I had hope that there was a diamond among them. With the North American guys on MLS teams, I have seen them play and I'm not that impressed.

To be fair to csl, except for tfc academy, there's only 3 guys from the csl there.

I can't say your wrong (especially since none of those 3 guys made their way into that game) but theirs: 7 university/amateur teams/academies/pdl guys there, 4 guys from europe, 6 guys between tfc and the whitecaps, and then 3 non tfc csl guys and an unattached guy. I just don't really see enough cohesion on the team to support pointing fingers at the csl (if they don't factor into this game though your point might be right)

Seems like we are in the second half and it's 1-0 USA (according to CSA twitter). Here's the starting 11 and some 2nd halftime:

Game Events

Minute Event

01 Canadian player Julien Latendresse Lévesque entered the game

01 Canadian player Roger Thompson entered the game

01 Canadian player Derrick Bassi entered the game

01 Canadian player Sean Hart entered the game

01 Canadian player Ashtone Morgan entered the game

01 Canadian player Nicholas Lindsay entered the game

01 Canadian player Ethan Gage entered the game

01 Canadian player Jonathan Osorio entered the game

01 Canadian player Matthew Stinson entered the game

01 Canadian player Massimo Mirabelli entered the game

01 Canadian player Jaineil Hoilett entered the game

46 Canadian player Massimo Mirabelli left the field

46 Canadian player Sean Hart left the field

46 Canadian player Niall Cousens entered the game

46 Canadian player Sven Arapovic entered the game

sounds like we are down by one.

Lakehill Turf Stadium

attendance : 75 !

"HALF TIME - CAN v USA, USA leading the chances and leading the match 1-0."

50 Canadian player Roger Thompson was ejected

50 Canadian player Kevin Cobby entered the game

62 Goal scored by opponent player USA

77 Goal scored by opponent player USA

80 Goal scored by opponent player USA

86 Goal scored by opponent player USA

"USA added four more goals in the second half, albeit three late on breakaways (with two knocking off posts and bars). CAN 0-5 CAN." <-- if only we were playing against ourselves..

This U20 team is depressing. This is their record since the beginning of 2010: 14 match played - 2W - 4D - 8L. Obviously I can't tell what's wrong since I couldn't watch a single U20 match. Is it a lack of talent? the coaching staff maybe?

There were comments implying after the first friendly, the 2 - 0 defeat wasn't bad result. I can't say I agree with the sentiment and when you look at these last two friendlies, I don't have the feeling that this team is doing some progress.

POST MORTEM :

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U20WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1895&tab=review

"Canada closed out a two-match men's U-20 international friendly series with CONCACAF rival USA on Saturday 18 December. The location of the match was switched on matchday because of weather and field conditions in Boca Raton. The match was moved to Lakefield Turf Stadium in Sunrise, where the Americans won 5:0 after three late breakaway goals put the match out of reach in the last 15 minutes.

Both Canada and USA are in Florida, USA where they are training in advance of next year's 2011 CONCACAF Men's Under-20 Championship. On this day, the five American goals came from Joshua Gatt (two) and Joe Gyau of Vancouver Whitecaps FC (three goals). Gatt was involved in all five goals (two goals, three assists).

With a completely different lineup from two days earlier, the Americans came out the stronger side in the first half. USA out-shot Canada 6-1 in the first 45 minutes, with the opening goal scored in the 12th minute. On his first of three goals assisted by Gatt, Gyau simply flicked it in at the near post after Gatt beat and defender and crossed it from the left.

Latendresse-Lévesque was Canada's best player, making several good saves throughout the match. He showed good command of his box and did well to come out and break up a few USA crosses. He also made a big save on a USA breakaway in the 25th minute.

Early in the second half in the 53rd minute, Latendresse-Lévesque made another big save, this time on a USA shot from roughly 10 metres out.

In the 55th minute, Canada had its best chance to equal the score. On a nice break and run, Lindsay was able to get in and force a corner for Canada. On the ensuing corner kick, Osorio got a flick on it and his deflection went past the goalkeeper, but a USA defender was there to clear the ball off the line.

In the 64th minute, USA made it 2-0 on a good attack that finished with a Gatt volley past a helpless Latendresse-Lévesque. The great cross came from the right side from Zarek Valentin.

In the last 15 minutes, USA added three more goals, getting in behind a new Canadian back four and finishing with little chance for the Canadian goalkeeper. In the 75th minute, Gatt come down the left side and crossed it to Gyau who scored his second goal of the match.

In the 84th minute, it was Gatt's turn to score after he and Kelyn Rowe played a give-and-go at the top of the box. Gatt simply had to walk in and burry the ball into an empty net. Four minutes later, Gatt crossed a ball from the left to Gyau who one-timed it in for the fifth goal of the match.

Canada's starting XI featured Julien Latendresse-Lévesque in goal, Ashtone Morgan, Derrick Bassi, Sean Hart and Roger Thompson at defence, and Nicholas Lindsay, Ethan Gage, Jonathan Osorio, Matt Stinson, Massimo Mirabelli and Jaineil Hoilett from midfield up through to the attack.

At the half, Canadian substitutions were Sven Arapovic and Niall Cousens for Hart and Mirabelli. Roger Thompson came off in the 50th minute following a red card, but Kevin Cobby was allowed to enter the match a few minutes later in a show of goodwill from the Americans (as this was a friendly match). Canada's last substitution was Jerome Baker for Stinson.

The American starting XI featured Zac MacMarth in goal, Greg Garza at left back, Perry Kitchen and Greg Agbossoumonde at centre back, Zarek Valentin at right back, Amobi Okugo, Dillon Powers and Kelyn Rowe at midfield, Joshua Gatt and Joe Gyau on the wings, and Conor Doyle up front. The one substitution was Korey Veeder for Garza in the 60th minute.."

So our "new" Canadian back four was Sven Arapovic (for Sean Hart) and Kevin Cobby (for Roger Thompson) ? Am I missing something ?

jpg75, since you posted his name, are you sure about Gino Mauro being called into camp ? If he did, he didn't get a sniff in either game.

other players barely used:

Caminiti, Vince - 0 minutes

Grigore, Erik - 0 minutes

Cordon, Oscar - 0 minutes

Suta, Chris - 1 minute (0:2 loss)

Baker, Jerome - 15 minutes (0:2 loss) - apparently subbed in at the end of game 2 but does not appear on roster sheet.

big downer, I didn't even notice this thread till this game had already started, I had like half an hour of optimistic anticipation before I got brought down. At least with letting in 3 at the end it shows a lack of compure (not to mention the red), which is worrying of course, but it's better then perhaps being out and out lacking in talent, pretty minor consolation though...

edit: not scoring in either game though is pretty disconcerting

jpg75, since you posted his name, are you sure about Gino Mauro being called into camp ? If he did, he didn't get a sniff in either game.

other players barely used:

Caminiti, Vince - 0 minutes

Grigore, Erik - 0 minutes

Cordon, Oscar - 0 minutes

Suta, Chris - 1 minute (0:2 loss)

Baker, Jerome - 15 minutes (0:2 loss) - apparently subbed in at the end of game 2 but does not appear on roster sheet.

I don't think Mauro was there. BigBird told me he would be going, but then he wasn't sure after the roster was released.

I can't believe Oscar Cordon wasn't given a single minute of PT.

By the way i don't think you can spin this one into a positive, 5-0 is an unmitigated embarassment. Something is going to have to change if this team is to qualify.

This is one of the worst U20 teams we've had in a while it seems, the past 5 teams (going back to 2001) have had some good talent.

2001 - De Guzman, Klukowski, Gerba, Nsaliwa, Dunfield, Pozniak, Friend

2003 - Hutchinson, Hume, Simpson

2005 - Hainault, De Jong, Rosenlund

2007 - Peters, Johnson, Edgar, Ricketts, Jackson

2009 - Attakora, Haber, Davies

2011 - Teibert? Gage? Lindsay? Hoillet? Cousens? Latendresse Levesque? Stillo? Santiago?

Idk it seems to me like this squad doesn't have any real leaders/stars as past squads have. The only outfield returnee this team has is Gage.... from a team that didn't even qualify. Someone needs to step up...

Losing to the US 5-0 at any level is absolutely unacceptable and pathetic.

Didn't we score 5 against the US in Kingston in the lead up to the 2007 U20WC, with Ricketts scoring 3? Then proceeded to score 0 goals in the actual WC games.

That said, I tend to agree with the pulse of this thread. We seem to be relying too much on our underagers (92s) for offence, a formula that never works. Aside from 2 or 3 good goalkeepers, we also seem to lack 1 or 2 defensive stoppers. Doneil Henry is a 93 and appears to have the most PT, albeit I don't think he played in the 5-0 debacle.

This is one of the worst U20 teams we've had in a while it seems, the past 5 teams (going back to 2001) have had some good talent.

2001 - De Guzman, Klukowski, Gerba, Nsaliwa, Dunfield, Pozniak, Friend

2003 - Hutchinson, Hume, Simpson

2005 - Hainault, De Jong, Rosenlund

2007 - Peters, Johnson, Edgar, Ricketts, Jackson

2009 - Attakora, Haber, Davies

2011 - Teibert? Gage? Lindsay? Hoillet? Cousens? Latendresse Levesque? Stillo? Santiago?

Idk it seems to me like this squad doesn't have any real leaders/stars as past squads have. The only outfield returnee this team has is Gage.... from a team that didn't even qualify. Someone needs to step up...

Losing to the US 5-0 at any level is absolutely unacceptable and pathetic.

I'll withhold judgement on the talent of some of these guys. Let's wait and see how guys like Cordan and Lindsay develop next season when they have a lot more professional minutes under their belt through first team appearances with their professional clubs.

Didn't we score 5 against the US in Kingston in the lead up to the 2007 U20WC, with Ricketts scoring 3? Then proceeded to score 0 goals in the actual WC games.

FWIW the US sent out a B team against our A team that game. A few days earlier their A team beat our A team 4-1 in Ottawa. They had a good team that cycle though...that might be the case again this year. We need to get a better gauge of this team by playing more internationals, too many of our friendlies have been against club teams (then again, those results have been uninspiring).

Archived