U20 Camp in Fort Lauderdale.

jordan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether you like it or not, Miro's comments are starting to look more credible, in terms of team performance and coaching standards. The results speak for themselves.

Goal scoring is one problem, we scored 8 goals in 14 games, went without goals in 9 games. As this last match shows our defence also leaves a lot to be desired. Coaching has got to be a factor as even with a less talented squad you can limit the goals against as a team. We have one more camp i think in February, something has to be done differently.

Whether you like it or not, Miro's comments are starting to look more credible, in terms of team performance and coaching standards. The results speak for themselves.

I was thinking the same thing since a few days now.

This U20 side looks screwed and I was wondering if we could build a stronger U23 side from some U20 players if they can prove their worth at U23 level of course.

Goal scoring is one problem, we scored 8 goals in 14 games, went without goals in 9 games. As this last match shows our defence also leaves a lot to be desired. Coaching has got to be a factor as even with a less talented squad you can limit the goals against as a team. We have one more camp i think in February, something has to be done differently.

I have to agree, not just a knee jerk reaction to yesterday's poor result, there are obviously some serious problems here that should have been addressed! Looking at the squad on paper it seems we have players playing at a higher level than in the past, perhaps the age thing that was previously mentioned has much to do with it, or a combination of factors! The CSA has to have a good look at everything right now because the warning signs are shining brightly!

FWIW the US sent out a B team against our A team that game. A few days earlier their A team beat our A team 4-1 in Ottawa. They had a good team that cycle though...that might be the case again this year. We need to get a better gauge of this team by playing more internationals, too many of our friendlies have been against club teams (then again, those results have been uninspiring).

This is best U20 cycle in US soccer history. We have a pool of more than 30 professional players, most of whom are already contributing to their club's first team. Josh Gatt plays in current top club in the Austrian 2nd division. A 5-0 loss in this case isn't as bad as it seems. A brand new back line is thrown on for the last part of the game, against some very strong attacking players with a man advantage, playing with the momentum as well.

Miro's comments MAY start to look more credible. The real problem is that this group of youngsters ain't all that talented. It's going to be another 8-12 years before we start to see the real benefits of the academy systems of MLS/NASL. And that's assuming no teams run into problems and that the teams are properly developing players.

Please lets not go overboard. Miro's comments consisted of slagging everyone in sight and calling for two particular players to get more playing time. Don't think the two of them would've changed the outcome by much.

It's like shooting a bazooka into a crowd and calling yourself a sharpshooter because you got one or two of the bad guys.

Please lets not go overboard. Miro's comments consisted of slagging everyone in sight and calling for two particular players to get more playing time. Don't think the two of them would've changed the outcome by much.

It's like shooting a bazooka into a crowd and calling yourself a sharpshooter because you got one or two of the bad guys.

Exactly! It was also often the way he communicated things. Extremely condescending.

Mr. Kliment has slagged 1-2 players quite a few times but at the same time has refused to name names of players, except his son, who have been ignored by the coaching staff (to make his point about the coach not selecting the best players).

His critics of the program wasn't really constructive and it was tough to separate the valid arguments from the one who are coming from a frustrated father. It's also tough for us to judge because apart from disapointing results we don't know much about the players and their performances. So maybe Gazolla is a bad coach or maybe he's doing the best job one could do in the circumstances, tough to say really.

****ing slut. I was in the middle of a nice big post of all the players who haven't been called and ****ed it by hitting the wrong tab while googling info. ****!!!

Ok, list without comments. Players not called that would probably help:

Allando Matheson

Stefan Cebara

Ricardo Ferreira*

Adam Street(?)**

Players that might help:

Marco South

Keenan Gracey

Damien Merette

Graham Fisher

Fabien Troche

James Stamopolous

Coulton Jackson

Marcel DeBellis

Nima Beik

There are about a dozen other names, but not sure any of them would help the cause.

* Capped with Portugal, but give him a call - it couldn't hurt

** WTF is going with him?

edit: Hey Tarnado, i see you did something similar in the "Miro Kliment thread" over on BigSoccer. Didn't realize that until just now when i was doing research on Andre Fresenga and google brought up that thread.

I didn't include Gross and Gajac because i'm not really sure either of them are good enough. I also have my doubts about some of the kids on my maybe list.

I stuck to only non-calls, but if we're going to look at guys already called them Justin Maheu stands out as the one guy who probably deserves a call-back. Abde Sylla wasn't called back after that first camp as well, wonder what's happened with him too...

^ Can't find anything about Sylla still being at Metz.

I don't think he is anymore. Last word about him in their forums was back in June saying he had been on the U19's since the 08/09 season. I didn't see him listed with the 1st team or the Academy so I expected him to be on the reserves once he turned 18. Forgot to check back once the season started...Looking at the match reports for the reserve team it's clear Sylla is no longer there. Bummer. I'm curious what happened, did he just stop improving? His brother was excellent as a 15 year old and then was off the radar 3-4 years later, hopefully the same isn't true of Abde.

Looks like one of the problems isn't Matt Stinson:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/stinson-earns-accolades

"Former Toronto FC Academy star Matt Stinson has enjoyed a sensational first season at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

The first-year player was voted team MVP in his inaugural season. In addition to that recognition, Stinson was named to the All-Big South Second Team as well as the All-Freshmen Team in the Big South Conference.

Stinson also cracked the list of Top 100 Freshmen on TopDrawerSoccer.com’s annual poll."

Looks like one of the problems isn't Matt Stinson:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/12/stinson-earns-accolades

"Former Toronto FC Academy star Matt Stinson has enjoyed a sensational first season at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

The first-year player was voted team MVP in his inaugural season. In addition to that recognition, Stinson was named to the All-Big South Second Team as well as the All-Freshmen Team in the Big South Conference.

Stinson also cracked the list of Top 100 Freshmen on TopDrawerSoccer.com’s annual poll."

Being among the top 100 freshman doesn't really mean you are good enough to compete at the U20 level, especially considering 90 of those 100 players are probably American.

Well, i was thinking the impressive recognition was more along the lines of being Winthrop Team MVP and 2nd team All-Big South as a freshman. But after checking the TopDrawer listings i see he's ranked....#100 LOL!!!

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-freshmen-top-100/men#results

I trust Robert Ziegler and his network to recognize talent. Stinson is decent, but as you said Keegan is that good enough? I'll withdraw my praise and reserve judgement until a later time.

Wait a tick....there are 2 Canadians ranked ahead of Stinson in the TopDrawer rankings. Forward Simon Gomez of Duquesne (Toronto, ON) is ranked #26 and MF Emmett O'Connor of St. Bonaventure (Ajax, ON) is ranked #70. Anyone else heard of these kids?

Holy ****, i just realized O'Connor is the son of the OSA staff coach that taught our Youth licence course!!!! I'm gonna have to email him.

http://www.gobonnies.com/sports/m-soccer/2010-11/bios/o-connor%20emmett%20vk6c

Highschool

Played six seasons with the Ajax Admirals club team … named Male Soccer Player of the Year as a sophomore and junior … key part of four consecutive LOSSA Championships from 2006-09 ... selected as a team captain in his final year with the team ... played for Team Canada in the Danone Nations Cup in Paris in 2005 … competed in the Metro United and Crossroads of America college showcases.

Personal

Born Sept. 13, 1992 … son of Diarmuid and Valerie O’Connor … lists interests as watching movies, reading, geography and fitness.

He scored 5G and 7A starting all 19 games:

http://www.gobonnies.com/sports/m-soccer/2010-11/files/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

*** Gomez has no D.O.B listed so not sure if he's eligible, though he'd have to be a 20 year old freshman (1990) to be too old:

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gomez_simon00.html

He led his team with 8G (no PK's) and 6A:

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2010-2011/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Ranked #98 on the Upperclassmen list is Emery Welshman of Siena College (Mississauga, ON). He's born in 1991 so he's eligible.

http://www.sienasaints.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/welshman_emery00.html

MAAC OPOTY after a 13 goal season as a Sophomore: http://www.sienasaints.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/121710aaa.html

Siena sophomore striker and MAAC Offensive Player of the Year Emery Welshman and senior midfielder and All-MAAC Second Team selection Steve Covino have been named to the 2010 NSCAA/Performance Subaru All-North Atlantic Region Team. Welshman was a First Team honoree, while Covino was selected to the Third Team.

"We are delighted for Emery and Steve's All-Region selections," said head coach Gareth Elliott. "It is a great honor for them individually but also for our program as a whole."

Welshman was one of four forwards selected to the First Team. After being named MAAC Rookie of the Year as a freshman, the sophomore striker had an even more impressive season in 2010. The Mississauga, Ontario native led the MAAC in both goals (13) and points (29) despite missing three games due to injury. He finished the season ranking fourth nationally in goals per game and seventh in points per game and halfway through his Siena career already ranks sixth all-time in both goals (19) and points (44).

"Emery proved over the course of the season that he was the best player in our league and certainly one of the best in the region," noted Elliott. "With further training, we see him doing bigger things for team and as a result gaining more individual notoriety such as All-American and Hermann Award attention."

**** Not saying any of these kids is good enough for the U20's, but why not give them a shot??? Especially both forwards Gomez and Welshman who can put the ball in the net.

**** Not saying any of these kids is good enough for the U20's, but why not give them a shot??? Especially both forwards Gomez and Welshman who can put the ball in the net.

I agree. Who knows, as the goals are hardly flying in for the team this qualifying round, maybe we can find an U20 version of Gerba (and by that I mean a player playing lower levels and still manages to put in goals for Canada..... not a player only able to stick with a team for a couple of months at a time :) )?

Wait a tick....there are 2 Canadians ranked ahead of Stinson in the TopDrawer rankings. Forward Simon Gomez of Duquesne (Toronto, ON) is ranked #26 and MF Emmett O'Connor of St. Bonaventure (Ajax, ON) is ranked #70. Anyone else heard of these kids?

Holy ****, i just realized O'Connor is the son of the OSA staff coach that taught our Youth licence course!!!! I'm gonna have to email him.

http://www.gobonnies.com/sports/m-soccer/2010-11/bios/o-connor%20emmett%20vk6c

Highschool

Played six seasons with the Ajax Admirals club team … named Male Soccer Player of the Year as a sophomore and junior … key part of four consecutive LOSSA Championships from 2006-09 ... selected as a team captain in his final year with the team ... played for Team Canada in the Danone Nations Cup in Paris in 2005 … competed in the Metro United and Crossroads of America college showcases.

Personal

Born Sept. 13, 1992 … son of Diarmuid and Valerie O’Connor … lists interests as watching movies, reading, geography and fitness.

He scored 5G and 7A starting all 19 games:

http://www.gobonnies.com/sports/m-soccer/2010-11/files/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

*** Gomez has no D.O.B listed so not sure if he's eligible, though he'd have to be a 20 year old freshman (1990) to be too old:

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gomez_simon00.html

He led his team with 8G (no PK's) and 6A:

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2010-2011/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Nice find jpg! It makes no sense why these guys aren't called... and then suddenly we realize their mom or dad was born in Jamaica and we lose them. They both should be called to the next camp no excuses... why is Stinson there ahead of them? Well thats pretty easy to answer and its the problem with the CSA and their old boys club. We can't have coaches affiliated with both the nats and club teams then you get them calling their players and over looking other players who don't even get a shot! Look at guys like Ornoch and Jakovic who starred for our U23 team but weren't even called to the U20s!! Jakovic is probably our best defender and just 5 years ago he wasn't even called to our U20s? That to me is a dumb problem to have and needs fixed

• 5 weeks later...

According to Goff, the U20s are going to be in Florida again in early February with a game against DC United.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2011/01/dc_united_news_notes_51.html

"The club will spend time, mostly indoors, in the Washington area (RFK Stadium, George Mason, University of Maryland) before departing for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Jan. 31. United will play two exhibitions in Florida, vs. the Canadian under-20 national team and an opponent to be determined."

For my fellow altsheimerish types, just a reminder of the ultimate competitive goals for all of this:

1. The CONCACAF Under-20 Championship will expand to 12 teams beginning in 2011 and will determine the 4 CONCACAF teams that will participate at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup to be held in Colombia. Also, 3 CONCACAF team will participate at the 2011 Pan American Games (except Mexico) . The Executive Committee approved that for men's U-20 championships all three North American teams again will qualify automatically for the finals, while Central America will get four berths and the Caribbean five.

The new allocations give Central America one more berth than it had in 2009 and the Caribbean three more.[1] On 1 September 2010 CONCACAF announced Guatemala as host of the championship to be played from 3–17 April.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

(Draw for competititon in Guatemala not yet set)

2. The 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup in COLOMBIA (Copa Mundial de Fútbol Sub-20 de 2011, in Spanish) is the eighteenth edition of the U-20 World Cup since its inception in 1977 as the FIFA World Youth Championship. Games will be played between July 29 and August 20, 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

Archived