Torneio Internacional de Futebol Feminino Cidade de São Paulo.

methusela

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Paul it just adds to the enigma. The stats were official FIFA tournaments - World Cup and Olympics. In tournaments like this it's never four years of preparation and do or die (i.e. the Dutch B team, the Canadian B team in the game before, etc). The shot was no-look and if it went an inch or two wide it would have been a pretty uneventful day at the office for her. Luckily fate spun that 180.000 degrees true north.

Marta's whining but she has played a lot of games (like everyone else - including her teammate Sinclair) and for a tired pony she certainly showed everyone she has another gear. The Germans are definitely scouting and I imagine they're already drawing up plans to release Bajramaj down the middle.

After the game I was hiking and wondering what the heck happened to Brazil. We are full measure for the tie/win but they couldn't even beat our "B" team. I'm sure the locals will say nerves, long season, coaching, etc. But the plain fact of the matter is they were a shadow of their ranking and stature. And not just their finishing. Outside of Marta they have a real problem with interplay and intelligence in and around the opponents box. They were so average if not downright weak it was stunning. We definitely got in their faces man-to-man and marked really well off the ball, but being Brazil you expect another level of creativity and intelligence which just never arrived.

Who knows on the ranking, there are some pretty fine teams above us though. The interesting thing will be how many points the Brazilians drop to the Swedes (who cruised past #7 Norway 3-1). I've seen Sweden recently and the speed they play at is quite something. It will be interesting to see how we do against them because that's the kind of stuff we'll be up against from France and Germany.

After the game I was hiking and wondering what the heck happened to Brazil. We are full measure for the tie/win but they couldn't even beat our "B" team.

I think if you do a bit of checking you'll find that Brazil has a number of key players who are currently out with injuries. But the better Canada gets, the more they should make top teams look sort of ordinary. And in any case, Canada has a pretty good all-time record against Brazil.

Great comments from everyone. We've talked ranking before but surely it's clear now that Canada has earned a ranking MUCH HIGHER than #9. Can I just say that I LOVE seeing Coach Morace having to be separated from the ref at the end of the game by RIOT POLICE in full gear. THAT'S WHAT'S UP !!

"Some Canadian Guys" blog asked me to guest on their annual review podcast. Here's the link:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?804-Year-In-Review-Podcast-Series-Part-4

Enjoy! Oh last bit of news today-- the hashtag used in Twitter to track comments about our ladies sr. national team is #CANwnt. Today it reached the no.2 spot on the TRENDING List (for Canada) right after Mike Vick... on an NFL Sunday. Bloody brilliant fans we are to be Tweeting our pride & support and passionate following of a wonderful match with such velocity that WOMEN'S SOCCER GETS ITS DUE. Clearly enough people care! Tweet on!

post-121254-139465253098_thumb.jpg

Wow, great result. So exciting for our programme.

I missed the game yesterday but tried following some of the comments via Blackberry... another good Canadian product!

One question though: what was the thing with the stops/pauses during the game?? Did players actually go to their benches to drink?

Well done, ladies! Good chances, great comeback, good fight from the team, great strike for the equalizer by Sinclair.

Hope 2011 will be the year Canada makes an impact on the world stage in Germany and gets people talking about their national soccer teams again (in a positive way :) ).

I just looked through the game roster and noticed Lang was absent. Is she injured? Sorry if it's been mentioned. I went through as many posts as I could and couldn't see anything. Anybody know the story? She's my daughter's favourite so fingers crossed we see her in WC 2011. Great result for the Big Red. Go Canada Go!

Archived