CSL changes format for 2011?

Two divisions? East and West? If so, I wouldn't want to be in the East with travel to Ottawa and Montreal.

4 new teams. I guess the rumoured Quebec City bid could not be sanctioned in time. That would be a disappointment but it would hardly be the first time the league has been stymied in its quest for Quebec expansion.

Two divisions? East and West? If so, I wouldn't want to be in the East with travel to Ottawa and Montreal.

4 new teams. I guess the rumoured Quebec City bid could not be sanctioned in time. That would be a disappointment but it would hardly be the first time the league has been stymied in its quest for Quebec expansion.

As long as we don't go back to national and international divisions I think I'll be a relatively happy guy.

That said, with 17 teams on this sort of budget a single table was a bit much to expect. Maybe the divisions will be "GTA" and "Other"

I can see it now:

Other: London, Brantford, Ottawa, Montreal, Kitchener, Hamilton, St.Catharine's, Brampton

GTA: Shooters, SC Toronto, Toronto Croatia, White Eagles, Mississauga, Astros, TFC Academy, Pickering, Milton

Here was my suggestion I posted in early November in the Hamilton Croatia forum when there was talk about five expansion teams:

I've linked a map I created which includes the location of 17-of-18 teams currently expected to be around next season:

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=190986

Assuming the league is split into two nine-team divisions, and also assuming an 18th team comes from north-east of anything already existing (such as Oshawa, Peterborough, Kingston, Trois-Rivieres, etc.), here's my proposed division alignment:

CSL North

Brampton Lions

Montreal Impact Academy

North York Astros

Ottawa

Pickering Power

SC Toronto (formerly Portugal FC)

TFC Academy

York Region Shooters

TBA (18th team)

CSL South

Brantford Galaxy

FC Mississauga Eagles

Hamilton Croatia

Kitchener-Waterloo

London City

Milltown FC

Serbian White Eagles

St. Catharines Wolves

Toronto Croatia

There's a bunch of team's that are bi - can go either way - but I chose to put the two Croatia's and the White Eagles in the same division to keep the rivalries, and to a lesser extent, the two Academy's (Montreal & TFC) and the newly-named SC Toronto on the other side.

You play everyone in your division twice (home & away for 16 games), and everyone in the other division once (five home & four away for nine), with the extra home game going to the teams that finished higher in the standings the year before. That's 25 games (one more than this season).

Top four in each division qualify for the playoffs (no crossover) followed by division semifinals, division finals, and CSL final (North vs. South).

Somebody call the CSL and tell them they're welcome.

Brampton is good to go from what I am told.

The divisions thing is a bit sad as the league table and shedule looked great for the most part this season. I'm very interested to see what the next statement from th eleague is in terms of outlining its future vision. I had heard that there were hordes of applicants for the Commish job back when Dom won it so we'll what is on the table this time around. It is a very questionable off season for the league so let's hope it goes forward and not straight.

Brampton is good to go from what I am told.

The divisions thing is a bit sad as the league table and shedule looked great for the most part this season. I'm very interested to see what the next statement from th eleague is in terms of outlining its future vision. I had heard that there were hordes of applicants for the Commish job back when Dom won it so we'll what is on the table this time around. It is a very questionable off season for the league so let's hope it goes forward and not straight.

As long as their generally expanding and/or improving the game play I'd say their still moving forward. I also liked the single table, but realistically, if they eventually get past quebec city or in manitoba's direction, they'll have to figure this sort of thing out anyways. So now seems as good a time as any to get team staff and the league experienced in proper regional planning.

To expand on this story: Looking at the London City twitter feed again (I know, what a great source of news, right?) these posts came up:

"Good Morning! On the way to Toronto for 3 CSL board meetings.... "

"At meetings an hour early. Enough time to look over documents and talk about how 2011 is going to be an amazing season for the CSL! "

"Owners and team representatives are arriving - today's meets are set to begin and it should be a long day... "

"CSL Meetings coming to a close. Great conversation! The league is looking great for 2011 "

Aside from finding out that Ryan Gauss has way too much blackberrying on his mind, what does this tell us?

Does anybody know what the meetings were about?

CSL TEAMS RESOLVE TO STAY ON COURSE

Weekend meetings confirm future plans and set stage for 2011 season

TORONTO – Monday, December 13 - Meetings took place on Saturday involving the CSL’s equity owners and the board of directors, which were followed by a discussion with new clubs entering the CSL in 2011, the first such meetings since the resignation of CSL Commissioner Domenic Di Gironimo on December 5.

There was unanimous agreement to continue the direction and process established in 2009 when the league was granted full membership status with the Canadian Soccer Association.

On Saturday, it was agreed the member clubs will continue to pursue the establishment of academies for a strong player development program that will identify players for CSL senior teams and that the process will follow the rules and policies of the CSA and FIFA respecting development of young players. The CSL will continue to seek expansion in other parts of Canada, to be CSL regional leagues with long distance traveling by teams limited to end-of-season championship games. Western Canada is still considered a priority.

The formation of CSL Association Inc. for all member clubs with equal voice and one vote for each club will be finalized in the coming weeks in good time for the start of the new season.

The CSL will operate three divisions in 2011 with an east and west First Division and the further development of the league’s Reserve Division will be given special attention. The top four teams in the east and west First Division will playoff for an east-west championship final.

“It’s important we maintain our focus and we resolve to achieve the longer-term objectives in the next year or two. The league has a bright future and it will play a significant role in providing a higher level soccer in Canada for many Canadian players,” said CSL league administrator Pino Jazbec.

The CSL is Canada’s only professional soccer league with teams presently in Ontario and Quebec. The 2011 season is expected to run from early May to the end of October for a 6-month long campaign.

Canadian Soccer League Inc.,

56 Pennsylvania Avenue, Unit 5, Concord, Ontario L4K 3V9

Tel: 905 564-2297 Toll Free 1 888 216-9913 Fax: 905 671-6450

Email: csl@canadiansoccerleague.ca www.canadiansoccerleague.ca

Fascinating. This sounds like Dom was actually against the inclusion of non-member teams in the new format.

The formation of CSL Association Inc. for all member clubs with equal voice and one vote for each club will be finalized in the coming weeks in good time for the start of the new season.

Sounds to me like they're federating into an MLS like organization, for better or worse, but this doesn't sound like evil cartel that some would have it as.

So what WERE the irreconcilable differences? I really want to know.

Sounds to me like they're federating into an MLS like organization, for better or worse, but this doesn't sound like evil cartel that some would have it as.

and let's be honest, a centrally planned league with separate regions will make loads more sense than the equity members setup that they have now.

If this is the case, it would appear some real progress is finally being made.

The key info that is needed on this is what the members in CSL Association Inc. actually get a voice in and what level of control is retained by the equity owners. They have to say that expansion to western Canada is on the agenda to justify their D3 sanctioning. The thing to watch next summer will be if they pursue it anything like as vigorously as Di Gironimo did.

I agree. The cred of this newly incorporated group has yet to be seen until further details are provided. It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next few months leading into the 2011 season.

I can't help but feel though as someone who has watched this league for years that it has lost some momentum this month.

I agree. The cred of this newly incorporated group has yet to be seen until further details are provided. It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next few months leading into the 2011 season.

I can't help but feel though as someone who has watched this league for years that it has lost some momentum this month.

I have felt the same way. Whenever you enter the CSL site, there are never any updates. If they want this to be a real league and not an old boys club, they need to report everything, from what top players are moving to where, what possible cities are on the agenda, even news that Brampton changed their name and crest(not reported).....any news will keep us interested. I heard the Portugal Fc is now SC Toronto. I don't recall reading that on the CSL site but on this forum. This idea of only reporting what happenes to be a done deal is getting old.

Honestly, I think the feelings of limbo are just cause it's the off season, think about it, two years ago they added a new team, last year another three, this years looking like 4 or 5 but their stalling? I can't help but think this attitude is more about impatience cause the seasons still like half a year away and any real info on the 2012 season is more like a year away. Maybe they could a better job of the website but maybe were expecting more news then there is (in a similar way to how expansion hopes can be so ambitious some could actually be told 4 new teams and not see progress).

And really, don't bother with bbtb ownership rants, he has been making everything from insinuations to pretty much accusations based on what could barely be termed circumstancial evidence. The jist of it is, he assumes that because they guys who paid into the league, run the league, that they will always act irrationally defensive. (mostly cause it's the only way his arguements will make sense, if he assumes they'll make the worst decisions)

He has absolutetly no acceptable backing or evidence, for example recently he took a CSL proposal for BC from months ago, compared it to a single line from Dom's resignation article and made huge assumptions, that from whats actually come out, appears to be the exact opposite of what was going on.

Another great example of the silliness is how a few months ago, bbtb had pretended the discussions with BC meant they were making a single table, huge travel league (just foolish) and then ripped on his own dishonest assumptions for being foolish??? (and now he's acting like supported the enthusiasm when he actually tried to sully it when it happened???)

The equity owners have no sinister history, no reason to assume incompetance (I means these are guys running surviving teams), not even a reason to assume their so self interested that they'd do anything contrary to canadian developement (ie the idea bbtb tried to use a while ago that no one would allow a tiering of leagues if they didn't all make it into the top, even though not all of them could even afford it, and assuming they'd rather be at the top of a lesser league then be in the same position play wise with somewhere to go).

The only reason anybody should have negative feelings towards the equity owners is if they've read too many misleading posts by bbtb painting people he doesn't know (people actually doing something for canadians soccer btw) as sinister or greedy (why anyone super greedy would into low level canadian soccer is beyond me). It's a childish smear campaign from a grown man.

ohh and mmd, not to really shat on your comment but literally a couple weeks ago, one of our sillier members was pretending the CSA shouldn't make any announcements or decisions till it was a done deal, so now, even though it's just obvious that sillier member is just being fussy for attention and your probably in correct in general, I'm utterly exasperated to see that any approach is apparently the wrong one.

I do not beieve expansion means progression, just look at the NASL as a starter. I'm sure others may think differently but I don't think the youth clubs should operate CSL teams unless they can be financially sustainable on their own without dipping into youth monies. I am having a hard time in believing that Erin Mills and Pickering will be able to do that but I guess it remains to be seen.

Juby, I think it is a fair statement that you are affiliated in an official capacity with the league and I reckon with your avatar it is with North York? Is this true? You are not obligated to answer of course but it does help in providing where your thoughts on the league are coming from.

I have said it many times, that the CSL needs needs 2 major staff members to make it look professional:

1) An experienced and connected advertising agent with a large portfolio. Would generate severely needed revenues

2) A media/communications person for their website and for general communications. The SC Toronto and Brampton thing is just a tip of the iceberg of what is missing on the website. You need player profiles, match reports (Rocket Robin is the best in the business bar none), game cancellations - as was needed for a few times at Centennial Park this season -, video and photo galleries etc.

The league itself has acknowledged many times that they do need these elements covered but you have to spend money to make money and everyone with ownership has to contribute to that.

Speaking of revenue, there was an organization within the last year that was ready to pay a 'franchise fee' in the mid to higher 5 figures for rights to Richmond Hill but were told no because YRS had all of York Region covered. This to me and quite a few others doesn't make any sense considering the YRS are located in west York Region and also do not attract many fans, despite offering what I would say is a better than average CSL game day experience.

I also think tickets should be reduced and sold at $10 for adults, $5 for kids and free for kids under a certain age. $15and $20 is overpriced in my books. The Lynx sold tickets for the same but with a much better product on the field. This won't happen at all make no mistake but look at the value dollar for dollar.

Archived