2018/2022 vote on Tuesday. Who do you want to win?

CanadianSoccerFan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England 2018 - I'd like to see the tabloids tee off on FIFA Corruption for a half dozen years, and hosting the WC will certainly keep the focus on. Secodn choice is Spain. Thinking of retiring to Spain, so WC will provide an excellent opportunity to scout.

2022 - anybody but the USA...two reasons, first, they have been spoon fed quite enough, second, I have aspirations of seeing Canada host a World Cup one Day. Won;t happen if they yanks get a second. Australia or UAE for me.

A shame it won't be broadcast here in Canada from what I can see.

Apparently the announcement will be shown live on cbcsports.ca:

LIVE STREAM - Dec. 2 @ 9:30AM ET/6:30AM ET

FIFA World Cup hosts announcement »

Log onto CBCSports.ca to find out which countries will be the host nations of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. Watch the live stream from Zurich as FIFA makes the formal announcement.

OMFG. Qatar will host the 2022 WC. What a sham.

Well, if anything can be surmised by the selections of Russia and Qatar is that they have found 2 countries where their (FIFA) corruption will be embraced and even stroked. Sepp and his boys will be collecting their last juicy paycheques before they ride off into the sunset...

Probably in the minority here, but I'm glad the US didn't win 2022. We'd be pushed back 20 years before even being considered to host, and now perhaps the door is open to us to actually take a serious look at bidding for, say, 2030 or 2034.

Saw the following on the Guardian's live blog:

Here's a ranking of today's bidding countries according to where they appear on the current
:

Netherlands (3)/Belgium (14)

Japan (12)

Australia (18)

England (19 as part of UK)

USA (20)

Spain (39)/Portugal (40)

South Korea (42)

Qatar (120)

Russia (140)

Interesting, given Fifa's issues with the press recently

So they awarded the WC to Qatar. Wow this really demeonstrates beyond any reasonable doubt that the process has nothing do with merit but rather politics, money and corruption.

Someone please stand up and try to make a case for Qatar for me.

can anyone name a club in Qatar

what about international results from Qatar

what about the number of players in Qatar

what about history and track record for events in Qatar.

what about available infrastructures in Qatar

what about legacy for the game

we think that canada is not suitable because of our results. But how could anyone make a better case for Qatar over a country like Canada

But how could anyone make a better case for Qatar over a country like Canada

****load of money and no Parliament to tell the government that they can't spend exorbitant amounts of it on a 1 month tournament. That is the only case FIFA needs, not how good the national team is or anything like that... just money.

Russia and Qatar. The Oil World Cups :)

Russia does not surprise me as much as Qatar does. I would have thought USA was going to get the 2022, but clearly not. I dare say though that USA not getting 2022 virtually gives them the 2026 should the bid on them.

Archived