Canada bidding for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015

tovan1

I could be OTL and have been looking at something else, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere recently and noticed both Atlantic cities. Halifax could go either way, I read the local government driver was still pursuing funds from alternate sources after Lunn made clear their is no infrastructure money attached to the bid.

Anyone who doubts what hosting a full Women's World Cup can bring should read these case studies.

Benefits of hosting FIFA‘s other World Cup events

I just scanned a bit of the report...and like many sport impact reports a lot of what is said is ... um... up for debate, linking the u20 to Whitecaps getting MLS, linking the Montreal Impact run in Concacaf Champions league as outcomes of hosting a FIFA event...um I am not buying it.

Whether we get 2014. u20 aND 2015 WWC, the movement of dollars will mostly be out of Canada and to FIFA.

You can be sure the bid package had a profit guarantee, but does not let the CSA control costs that will be in the hands of FIFA, so you pay and they manage and run and negogiate the contracts for hotel accomodation, ticket sales, etc.

When the bid is won or lost, ask CSA to reveal the details and you will get a resounding no, because the details of the commercial agreement are so one sided.

International sport events bring prestige, they have a political purpose, but they do not engender economic growth or sustainable jobs. When facilitys are built as part of such events the critical factor is designing a facility that gives a community ongoing use and value be it social or economic. I would suggest if you look more deeply at the real economic impact of new stadia etc. most valid studies that are independent show a zero sum game or worse.

That is the investment of 20 million or 40 million or 400 million ( Quebec arena project ) do not bring a return on investment of tax dollars.

So all that said, I do believe such large show events are valuable and that the CSA should develop such propertys, my issue is that we could we some vision from the Dear Doctor own some very special events which could in the long term develop into positive cash flow events.

If the CSA had started a Women's International Canada cup tournament ten years ago and run it every two years think how big a fully owned CSA event could be seeing the best National teams from around the world every two years....but now you see the Cupo do Sao Paulo doing essentially the same thing... and drawing big crowds.

Heck the Palistine Womens League drew 20k plus recently...to its first ever eleven aside women's league games.... but where is the CSA with vision ?

Here's a simple idea.. we have the facillitys for ...what about a international Futsal Cup to run in NHL arenas .... Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Calgary, four groups of four to start leading up to a final.

Run it in June or September... in june just behind the dates the arenas are unused for hockey... so early in Ottawa and Toronto maybe a bit later in other cities.... invest in doing the cup for four years running, TV coverage, and ticket sales... see how that goes, invest in a property the CSA can own.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/nigelreed/2011/02/2015-the-case-for-canada.html

2015: The case for Canada

February 21, 2011 2:58 PM

By Nigel Reed

The bid is in. The wait will not be long. Early next month FIFA's top brass will make a decision, which will directly affect the growth of Canadian soccer. For the good of the game it is imperative the Women's World Cup comes to Canada in 2015.

It is a no brainer. It is a two horse race in theory alone. Canada takes women's soccer seriously and has a successful history of hosting FIFA events. It has government support to the tune of $15 million and an infrastructure in place to support the bid.

Canada's only competitor is Zimbabwe. Except that it's not really a competition at all. Zimbabwe has been ruled with an iron fist by Robert Mugabe for 30 years. It is a country whose economy has suffered rampant inflation and where the average citizen earns around $5 US a day.

Who in their right mind would vote for a country that has shut itself off from the outside world? Perhaps the same group of people who took a huge gamble by giving the 2010 World Cup to neighbouring South Africa and the 2022 tournament to Qatar?

We may scoff, yet Zimbabwe is on the international soccer map. No less a team than Brazil played a pre-World Cup friendly against Zimbabwe last year in front of a sell-out crowd of 60-thousand in Harare. The Brazilians last set foot on Canadian soil in 1994.

FIFA has made it clear it wants to spread the gospel. The time is now for the emerging soccer nations or so it appears. Canada, itself, can still be regarded as such in global terms, but when compared to Zimbabwe it is a world power - particularly in the women's game.

cont'd

If Fifa awards the WC to Zimbabwe I would hope that they have contingency plans to move it if the political situation becomes chaotic. Rober Mugabe will be 91 in 2015 and like most people I have not been informed as to his successor. Canada could take over like the U.S. did when the SARS infection hit China. I still have trouble getting my head around even the idea of picking Zimbabwe. Maybe Fifa will consider North Korea for the 2019 Women's World Cup.

Q&A with Gary Lunn:

Q. The federal government has committed up to $15 million for the 2015 Women’s World Cup. What would that money be spent on, and is it a good use of taxpayers’ dollars?

A. What happens is there’s a requirement of FIFA — you actually have to do a test event the year before. So $5 million is for the (under-20 Women’s World Cup) event in 2014, and $10 million is for 2015. It’s all operational, so there’s no capital (money), there’s no venue construction, there’s no upgrades to venues. . . . There will be (funds spent on) federal essential services included in there, everything from the immigration folks to security to the Canada Border Services Agency. . . . The large piece of it will go to the Canadian Soccer Association, who will be the official host. It’s quite a large tournament for them to host and put on. . . . Is it a worthwhile investment of the taxpayers’ dollars? A hundred per cent, without question. . . . We’ve seen FIFA soccer - we watched in South Africa with the men last year, with the buzz and the excitement, of course. It is a big deal, and to host the women’s World Cup will be equally (significant).

Q. Why won’t Ottawa spend any money on infrastructure, such as stadiums, for the soccer tournament?

A. Listen, we’re at a time of fiscal restraint, let’s be honest. But, typically, where we would spend money on capital projects is on larger, multi-sport events such as the Olympics and the Pan-Am Games. . . . I can tell you that our prime minister, and you’ll see this in (the next) budget, is absolutely focused on getting this (multibillion-dollar) deficit down.

As you know, we’ve got a large deficit (and) that’s going to be a huge focus of this budget. I think you’ll see a dramatic reduction in the deficit — a lot more than what people are expecting — which is absolutely the right way to go.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1230535.html

Gerry Dobson:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/02/25/dobson_soccer/

Be sure to mark Thursday Mar. 3 in your calendar. The events of that day could shake the foundations of soccer in this country to the core.

On that day, FIFA's executive committee will make several announcements, two of which will prove critical to the future of the sport in Canada.

First, the women.

FIFA will announce that the 2015 Womens’ World Cup will be awarded to either Zimbabwe or Canada, and it will be Canada.

The ramifications of this country holding one of the world's major events is huge.

The federal government has ear-marked at least $15 million to help fund the tournament. Much of that will go to stadium upgrades in the likes of Victoria, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax and Moncton, with all showing interest along with the usual bigger cities where suitable facilities already.

Gut feeling or insider info?

Canada is Sole Bid that FIFA is considering for WWC 2015

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/03/01/sp-fifa-worldcup-canada.html?ref=rss

I would have to say that our odds of securing the tournament are looking very good

Well done CSA. I have heard that the bid book they presented was absolutely 1st class and FIFA has confidence in Canada's ability to host an even of this scale so I guess their competitors opted to drop out rather than lose a vote

It's definitely why people dropped off, they knew it was a waste of money to go any farther. We are the best country in the world to do this, it just took some people a while to figure it out. Canada is a dream when it comes to world destinations. Always voted one of the best places in the world to live, multicultural, great travel destination, proven great hosts in women's and men's, safe, etc.

We all prayed this would turn out the way it looks to be turning out, and I think only now is the amount of work to host it better than ever before and show the world how good we are starting to hit home. Athletes may train for an Olympics four years away, but now it's the whole country. So much to do to give the women of the world the majesty they deserve.

Here's a bit more from the CP release:

Zimbabwe officials acknowledged last month that their infrastructure was "the barest minimum" to stage the tournament, but hoped FIFA would show the same faith it had in South Africa to organize a successful men's World Cup last year.

FIFA's ruling executive panel will decide the hosts of five other age-group tournaments this week.

Ghana and United Arab Emirates are competing to host the men's U17 World Cup in 2013.

The UAE also has bid for the U20 event in 2013, against Turkey and Uzbekistan.

Turkey and Uzbekistan also seek hosting rights for the women's U17s in 2014 with Costa Rica and Ghana.

Wales is bidding for both tournaments in 2015: Against Chile for the U17 finals, and against New Zealand for the U20s.

I could be OTL and have been looking at something else, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere recently and noticed both Atlantic cities. Halifax could go either way, I read the local government driver was still pursuing funds from alternate sources after Lunn made clear their is no infrastructure money attached to the bid.

Vic, did you ever remember where you saw the list of cities? Does anyone know which cities are part of the bid?

Although the potential Canadian host cities have not been named, Toronto isn’t believed to among them. Toronto and the GTA are hosting the Pan-Am Games July 2015, with many of the dates seemingly conflicting with the traditional Women’s World Cup calendar.

Potential host cities include Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax or Moncton. Proper stadiums would have to be built in the latter locations, with federal dollars contributing to costs and construction.

When Canada gets Women's World Cup Toronto won't host - Toronto Sun

FIFA.com to stream post-meeting press conference(FIFA.com) Thursday 3 March 2011

The FIFA Executive Committee will complete a two-day meeting – its first of 2011 – today, and FIFA.com will steam the ensuing press conference live from 14:30 (CET).

The FIFA Executive Committee, chaired by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, will decide upon the slots per confederation at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, and the will view presentations of the FIFA Financial Report for 2010 and the financial results for the 2007-10 cycle.

In addition, decisions will be taken regarding which member associations will host the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ and the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2014, as well as the FIFA U-17 World Cups 2013 and 2015, the FIFA U-20 World Cups 2013 and 2015, the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2012 and the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2014.

The FIFA Executive Committee will also decide on the venues of the FIFA Congress for 2012 and 2013.

8:30 Eastern time

STREAMING

Announcement link: FIFA Meeting Streaming

Not sure if it will be at the beginning or end of the webcast, but it didn't even make the announcement precis:

"The FIFA Executive Committee will hold its first meeting of the year at the Home of FIFA in Zurich on Wednesday and Thursday, 2-3 March 2011. The agenda features the presentation both of the FIFA Financial Report for 2010 and the financial results for the 2007-2010 cycle, as well as the decision on the slots per confederation for the 2014 FIFA World Cup™."

HALIFAX

Time will tell but Halifax is just a pipe dream at this point and Victoria looks like an alternate only if there aren't six that meet spec.

The Halifax mayor say's a local stadium is "not 100% concrete," but everyone else from multiple federal ministers to local MP's to community groups like the NCC have come out against it.

Yesterday's article had pretty good information on the federal political problems in funding Halifax.

The only way it appears a stadium could get built is local businesses or investors combined with provincial and/or city funding. Let's hope Kelly is a magician. It would be amazing for the province.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9020062.html

VICTORIA

The CTV article did not have Victoria.

This was from mid-Feb in their local Times-Colonist:

Greater Victoria, usually quick off the mark to be part of FIFA and also CONCACAF regional events hosted by Canada, is lagging this time.

Hugh MacDonald, executive director of SportHost Victoria, said he hasn’t approached local councils about funding. A stumbling block seems to be the Canadian Soccer Association’s minimum requirement for a permanent 20,000-seat stadium.

The feds are contributing $15 million to the World Cup but Lunn said the federal funding is not earmarked for new stadiums but for operations.

“There’s not a lot of money for new stadiums,” he said, in a recent interview with the Times Colonist. “That would have to come from existing or other sources.”

Lunn reaffirmed that stance to Halifax, another city wanting to host games in the 2015 World Cup but without a stadium.

As for his hometown’s chances, Lunn said he is the sport minister for the entire nation.

“It’s important I don’t influence that decision,” he said. “Obviously, I would love to see it [a group] here in Victoria. But we have to be realistic.”

SportHost Victoria chief MacDonald said the region could again come up with “a temporary 12,000- to 15,000-seat facility at either Centennial Stadium [site of the 2002 FIFA women’s U-20 World Cup] or Royal Athletic Park [site of the 2007 FIFA U-20 men’s World Cup group].”

He added his organization is taking a wait-and-see approach, banking that reputation allows a World Cup group to fall into Victoria’s lap if six suitable Canadian host cities can’t be secured in the initial go-round. At worst, he said his organization will support Vancouver and then position Victoria as the venue for pre-World Cup training camps and exhibition games for that group.

Dominique Maestracci

Not 100%... "The Canadian Soccer Association [did he say football?] are honoured to be announced as hosts. In the name of our 400,000 women's players we accept with honour and humility. Our assembly and football family wants to thank FIFA's Executive Committee for allowing us to host the biggest women's sporting event in the world."

He also mentioned full-to-the-brim stadiums and thanked the "unconditional support of the federal government as well as local and municipalities and volunteers who make it so we will be successful in the future as we have been in the past to help women's football reach new heights. The trust means we need to live up to that trust and yield excellent results."

Peter Montopoli

Again not 100%, hopefully the replay is up soon so we can get the text of their speeches:

"Thanks to the Executive Committee and we would like to recognize the government of Canada and Steven Harper and Gary Lunn for their unwavering support of our bid, and our friends in FIFA. We have the stadium infrastructure, experience and support and are pleased to accept the honour on behalf of 400,000 women's players and will host the world on pitches coast-to-coast." [less sure about the last bit of that].

Video

The last segment of the broadcast was a short video of the country and our hosting that was so good it had tears in my eyes.

Sepp Blatter

I know you will do a great job and you will have a rehearsal in 2014 as well.

If I remember right the Feds money goes to CSA. I'd much rather see the feds funding go to a LOC that is arm's length from the CSA. When the USA runs their WC's the US Soccer Fed is at arms length to the LOC. When they make a profit the $ goes into the US Soccer Foundation for the whole benefit of the sport rather than the NSO.

If the CSA could get some profits this time around that would be great. Seems that Junior Hockey Worlds has no problem making $15M

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=73554&la_id=1

Fantastic! Still bugged that Saskatchewan has fallen victim to the moratorium on stadium funding from the Feds (not that the local corporate community was going to be much help either), but stoked that we're going to have a massive world event with near immeasurable benefits and opportunities attached to it both pre and post tournament.

Women's World Cup announcement on CSA's site:

In November 2010, the Association welcomed participants to bid information sessions to provide information for potential host cities of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™. In total, seven Candidate Bid Cities were able to commit to being included within the bid submission: Vancouver, BC, Edmonton, AB, Winnipeg, MB, Ottawa, ON, Montréal, QC, Halifax, NS and Moncton, NB. The Canadian Soccer Association formally submitted its Bid Book to FIFA on 11 February, 2011 after working closely with all levels of government and the Candidate Bid Cities to prepare the bid documents.

Also note that CSA is preparing to bring FIFA over to inspect the sites in the fall.

Given the sour notes coming from Halifax, I'd bet that the six venues will end up being the remaining ones.

CSA News Release is up -

03 March 2011

Canada to Welcome the World and its Game in 2015

The Canadian Soccer Association has been successful in its bid to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ - the premier women’s sporting event in the world. The announcement was made today at the Home of FIFA in Zurich, Switzerland by FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter following the FIFA Executive Committee meeting.

“We would like to thank FIFA for entrusting the Canadian Soccer Association with this prestigious event,” commented Canadian Soccer Association President, Dr. Dominic Maestracci. He added that “we are committed to the growth of women’s soccer both in Canada and internationally and anticipate that this event will be another successful FIFA competition that will have a lasting impact on the sport in this country.”

“On behalf of the Government of Canada I wish to congratulate the Canadian Soccer Association on its successful bid to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ and the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2014,” said the Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport). “Canadians will once again welcome the world to cities across the country as we watch and cheer our National Team at the highest level of competition. The Government of Canada is proud to be a key supporter of Canada’s bid and we look forward to watching our team compete with the world’s best.” The Government of Canada through Sport Canada’s Hosting Program has committed up to $15-million in operating costs to the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ and the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup 2014.

cont'd

If I remember right the Feds money goes to CSA. I'd much rather see the feds funding go to a LOC that is arm's length from the CSA. When the USA runs their WC's the US Soccer Fed is at arms length to the LOC. When they make a profit the $ goes into the US Soccer Foundation for the whole benefit of the sport rather than the NSO.

If the CSA could get some profits this time around that would be great. Seems that Junior Hockey Worlds has no problem making $15M

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=73554&la_id=1

No offence to Canadian soccer fans but CSA is 50 years behind Hockey Canada.

It's coming the Womens U-19 the Mens U-20? Sorry can't remember

Now the the 2 womens coming in 2014 and 2015.

Even yet the governing of a game CSA is so far behind Hockey Canada in marketing and profit making it's not funny.

But compared to 20 years ago................

Archived