Canada bidding for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015

tovan1

Tell me the cities in Canada who can between 2011 and 2014 that is three years get zoning approval, fund and build a stadium, remembering the Feds have said no money to Quebec city new colisse and to Edmonton for 150 anniversary events.

And remember we need SS stadia no track ....no field turf, just real grass ready for the U20 dry run tournament and ready the next year for WWC.

I just dont see the city's who have the will and leadership to step up and do it, then have a long term use for the stadia that is soccer specific.

Yes, the Feds have said no money to those cities. However, we have yet to see what kind of budget they would allocate for a Women's World Cup bid.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure you understand how economic disparity works. Just because there's a greater gap in Chile doesn't necessarily mean their rich have more money (or greater numbers) than our rich, considering our average income is also quite a bit higher. More importantly, if you've got a 65k stadium, you're not going to find 65k rich people to spend all their money to go. However, you might find 65k middle class soccer fans willing to spend to bring their children to a game.

That's going to happen for every case though, the federation will vote for their potential member-host. I don't know why you suggest Oceania would support Chile, though I guess it's closer for them? But we also don't know all the countries bidding - ex: there was talk of 2 EU countries bidding, and you suspect EU votes would go to Chile, but would they not go to fellow EU countries?

2015 will not repeat in the EU, they have 2011 in Germany to play in legacy stadia from the World Cup and to show how strong womens soccer is as a fan event in a modern Northern European State. The next strategic move is to go to an emerging area, China had its run, South America gets the men's event in 2014, then an Olympics in 2016, and so Chile fits in very well in 2015 no stadia to build they by all reports did a good job with u17 championships.

The CSA has very little international weight at this point, FIFA has other places to go with the women's events its not like we are one of three or four countries who will host an event.

We drew well at women's u20 when we were one of the few countries who would want the event, and remember the tickets were dirt cheap sold in blocks to youth teams in Edmonton and area....thats not happening now ... in the women's game.

Chiles annual average income is 14,900, Canadas is 39,400 ... but Chile has relativley more "wealthy" versus poor then Canada .... that is there is significant economic disparity in Chile less so in Canada... and that lends itself to the elite buying one hundred dollar tickets for an event.... in Chile, for Canadians the casual fan will balk at a price of 100 for mom and another 100 for the daughter..

While Chile has some advantages, general economics isn't one of them vs Canada.

The population of Chile is less than 20m and only 10% can be considered wealthy. I can't think of any South American firm that is a FIFA sponsor. In the u20 WC 08 in Chile, avg attendance was less than 11k.

But Chile has the stadiums from 08, should have full backing from the Chilean govt and apparently have set up some sort of women's league. But the performances on the field are certainly sub par and they don't have much of history of being supportive of women's football.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa's not ready by then. It's facing a ton of opposition because it's an absolutely ridiculous plan that makes very little sense logistically, and they're trying to move a heritage building. I wish they would renovate the useless baseball stadium into a small SSS, but that seems far too logical for Ottawa city council.

Wow.. a TON of opposition? Pretty much the entire slate of pro-stadium council got reelected, and pretty much the entire slate of anti-stadium council were not and instead replaced with pro-stadium candidates. The polls show far more support for it then not among the population. An extremely vocal minority does not a majority make.

Every move made by anti-Lansdowne crowd has so far been shot down instantly. I can't really see much stopping this from happening, especially not the Horticulture building being moved 300 feet.

Moving the building was already approved by council.

The moving of the builiding needs heritage approval that comes from a body at provincial level because the city previously took provinical money to renovate the Aberdeen Pavillion, putting Lansdowne under a heritage designation.

The redevelopment still has a way to go.... Ontario Municipal Board hearing s should go fine, but other roadblocks are yet to be cleared the major one being heritage usage.

Wow.. a TON of opposition? Pretty much the entire slate of pro-stadium council got reelected, and pretty much the entire slate of anti-stadium council were not and instead replaced with pro-stadium candidates. The polls show far more support for it then not among the population. An extremely vocal minority does not a majority make.

Every move made by anti-Lansdowne crowd has so far been shot down instantly. I can't really see much stopping this from happening, especially not the Horticulture building being moved 300 feet.

Perhaps it's just a case of NIMBYs, but everything I have read suggests that the people don't like the way things were done. Sure, some people are just on the "let's just do something already" crowd, but plenty more aren't. Generally it seems to be people outside of the city who like the idea, since they don't have to live with it.

The council that was voted in wasn't voted for based on lansdowne. The pro-lansdowne people are generally conservatives, this election saw more people voting that way because of the various different issues. Polls are also unreliable, though I acknowledge they carry as much weight as anything I can say.

Anyways, there are still lawsuits to get through:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101119/OTT_lansdowne_101119?hub=OttawaHome

And yes Vic, moving the building was approved by council, but as a heritage building I'm not sure that council has the final say on the matter. I know that if the city council had turned down the plan to move it, appeals could be made to the Ontario Municipal Board...but I'm not sure if that's the only way, perhaps the anti-Lansdowne groups could appeal to it as well?

Harold Mayne Nicolls is the head of the Chilean Federation (apparently after a wild election in which the guy who beat him was just ousted because of a conflict of interest) but more importantly he is also the Chief of the FIFA World Cup Inspection team. Trust me when I tell you this man commands serious respect and power across the globe and holds a ridiculous amount of vote power now, especially with the 2018/22 mens WC's on the line this week. Imagine going to Australia, USA, Qatar, England, Spain/Portugal, Russia, etc and having this guy as chief make the sway and in return just wants the womens WC in his land. Chile is going to win this imo if they stay the course.

Plus...who will support Canada in the vote ?

Africa not likely we are pulling out of there and the CSA will not be paying under the table bungs to the voters.... Oceania will support Chile, Comebol ... Chile... I suspect even the EU votes will go to Chile, leaving us only Concacaf, ....within Concacaf there will be support from Mexico south to go to Chile not to Canada.

Victoria likely out of running for women's World Cup games

- Victoria's historical status as a go-to venue for the CSA appears in jeopardy this time around.

- That's because the conditions are stringent for the 2015 women's World Cup -- a minimum 20,000-capacity permanent stadium and a $2.75-million commitment per bidding city from the respective provincial government.

- [Hugh] MacDonald predicts the CSA may have trouble coming up with the needed six venues if the Canadian bid is to be successful in the international race to host the 2015 World Cup... MacDonald is thinking the CSA won't get six venues by Dec. 24 that can combine stadium size with the required provincial funding.

- Eight cities have expressed interest in being part of the Canadian bid:

1. Victoria
  2. Vancouver
  3. Edmonton
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Ottawa
  6. Montreal
  7. Halifax
  8. Moncton

[Where the Hell is Toronto?]

- It's not looking good for us. [Kjeld Brodsgaard]

- Brodsgaard said Victoria is now positioning itself as the ideal training base, and exhibition games venue, for teams in the Vancouver pool.

You mention the "Vancouver Pool". So you think that fifa will go back to basing four teams in only one city. This is something they definetely did not do in Germany. Canada will play their three first round games in three different cities. This would make no sense for the distances envolved in Canada.

Actually that was Cleve Dhenshaw in the article who used the phrase. They are using a record nine cities in Germany so they have to mix and match. Based on the article you would think six cities of four teams in each would be the most likely. As you say most cities are quite spread out, but if Ottawa and Montreal are in the bid they may move a marquis team/game for ticket sales like they did with Brazil in the U20 in 2007. The interesting question is where does Canada play?

Harold Mayne Nicolls is the head of the Chilean Federation (apparently after a wild election in which the guy who beat him was just ousted because of a conflict of interest) but more importantly he is also the Chief of the FIFA World Cup Inspection team. Trust me when I tell you this man commands serious respect and power across the globe and holds a ridiculous amount of vote power now, especially with the 2018/22 mens WC's on the line this week. Imagine going to Australia, USA, Qatar, England, Spain/Portugal, Russia, etc and having this guy as chief make the sway and in return just wants the womens WC in his land. Chile is going to win this imo if they stay the course.

]

Watch the video, ask yourslef how would our Dear Leader match up making a presentation to FIFA, he has started a TV station for soccer on29ly, is credited with building new stadia in Chile, led the men's team program to regional success in Comebol, .... and he is a FIFA insider.

The CSA does these runs for events to justify international travel the Dear Leader of the day flits around the world ...and the result is we only get the minor events.... and yes normally world u20s has not been a premier revenue event for FIFA.

We dont have the infrastructure today .. and will only have it when we have six to eight cites playing pro soccer in Club owned or controlled stadia.

Today we have 2, it may grow to 4 with Vancouver if they control the stadia and Ottawa.

Beyond that we do not have likely stadia developments with soccer intimate settings, i.e. not multi pupose, no track no CFL endzone.

I think this great, would only help the cause for a bid at 2026.

One can dream.

The dream for some is 2015 itself.

ask yourslef how would our Dear Leader match up making a presentation to FIFA...

Somehow I don't see the Qatari's matching up to the team or professionalism of the England presentation or bid prepared by the group below. They went out on 2 votes in the first round. The verve of your bid is a wildcard. The bid is what matters.

We are one of the few, if not the leading contender because we have great programs and a history as a country of supporting not just our women but youth in tournaments. 50,000 for a U19 team in EDMONTON eight years ago and women's soccer has grown a lot in the past decade.

We can and will put more people in the seats than almost any country in the world. We are a great travel destination, have a great rep around the world and are one of the most multicultural countries on the planet.

There are a lot of good people involved in the bid, working hard to do something for women's soccer in Canada. They can and will pull it off and it will be the most beautiful thing in Canadian soccer ever.

TEAM ENGLAND

The board of England 2018 was chaired by Lord Triesman, chairman of The FA

Geoffrey Thompson, vice president of FIFA

Lord Mawhinney, chairman of the Football League

Paul Elliott, who is the chairman of the Advisory Group to the bid; and

Sebastian Coe, who led London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, is chairman of LOCOG, and who took leave of absence from his role as chairman of FIFA's ethics committee to join the bid team.

The chief executive of England 2018 was Andy Anson, formerly chief executive for Europe of the ATP, and previously commercial director of Manchester United

The non-executive and subsidiary Advisory Group to the bid comprised of:

Karren Brady, former managing director of Birmingham City

Martin Sorrell, chief executive of WPP

David Gill, chief executive of Manchester United

Gerry Sutcliffe, the former Minister for Sport

Keith Mills, deputy chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG).

The bid had the support of:

Prince William, FA President

The vice presidents of England's 2018 bid team were:

David Beckham, England international and the country's second most capped player

John Barnes, a former England international

Fabio Capello, England manager

Hope Powell, manager of the England women's team

Peter Kenyon, chief executive of Chelsea

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the PFA

Terry Leahy, the chief executive of Tesco

Nicholas Stern, Economist

Victoria likely out of running for women's World Cup games

- Victoria's historical status as a go-to venue for the CSA appears in jeopardy this time around.

- That's because the conditions are stringent for the 2015 women's World Cup -- a minimum 20,000-capacity permanent stadium and a $2.75-million commitment per bidding city from the respective provincial government.

- [Hugh] MacDonald predicts the CSA may have trouble coming up with the needed six venues if the Canadian bid is to be successful in the international race to host the 2015 World Cup... MacDonald is thinking the CSA won't get six venues by Dec. 24 that can combine stadium size with the required provincial funding.

- Eight cities have expressed interest in being part of the Canadian bid:

1. Victoria
  2. Vancouver
  3. Edmonton
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Ottawa
  6. Montreal
  7. Halifax
  8. Moncton

[Where the Hell is Toronto?]

- It's not looking good for us. [Kjeld Brodsgaard]

- Brodsgaard said Victoria is now positioning itself as the ideal training base, and exhibition games venue, for teams in the Vancouver pool.

Pan AM games are probably limiting Toronto and Hamilton's participation.

Mandel puts boots to soccer association: Council opts to back 2015 women's world cup

The proposal would see six cities each hold seven games during the 23-day competition, but the location of final rounds hasn't been discussed, civic events director Ellen Finn said.

There are eight cities vying to be part of Canada's submission for the 2015 event and the 2014 U-20 women's world cup.

Edmonton, projected to draw 15,000 to 20,000 spectators to each game, will have to contribute a total of $400,000 if the proposal is chosen by FIFA next March.

Although the Canadian Soccer Association says the federal government has agreed to put in $12 million, Mandel is unsure the Alberta government will be able to commit its required $2.8 million by a Christmas deadline.

That's great, thanks very much for the update. The early rumours besides Chile were Zimbabwe, Turkey, New Zealand, and Scotland.

If Chile is out and no one new registered intention by November 26, New Zealand would likely be our main opponent.

• 2 weeks later...
Although the Canadian Soccer Association says the federal government has agreed to put in $12 million, Mandel is unsure the Alberta government will be able to commit its required $2.8 million by a Christmas deadline.

Feds ante up $15m.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4610

The Canadian Soccer Association confirmed today that the Government of Canada through Sport Canada’s Hosting Program has committed up to $15-million to the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™ and the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup if Canada is successful in its current bid process to host the largest women’s sporting event in the world.

'On behalf of the Government of Canada, I am pleased to support the Canadian Soccer Association’s bid for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015™,' said the Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport). 'Soccer participation in communities across Canada has grown steadily from year to year while interest and pride in our national teams is at an all-time high. We look forward to working with the Canadian Soccer Association to support a successful bid process.'

Archived