MLS 2 Division Canada - Proposal (League Design)

DigzTFC

Well, that's just plain sensible. Are you sure you belong on the internet? :P

Seriously though, I think you're onto something there. What we need are some Canucks who can do like Anchutz and Hunt, create a league, own several teams apiece, as the league grows and becomes more professional, sell them off to other ownership groups. Whether or not there ARE Canadians out there who would do such a thing has yet to be seen.

Aye, thars the rub. All the Canadian highrollers I've come across or have seen through tv don't seem interested in anything Canadian-only. I had a chance to talk directly with Brett Wilson regarding whether he'd ever consider investing in Canadian soccer, and he told me point blank that he didn't think it'd ever fly, nor would he ever consider the possibility of investing anyway, and he is a part owner of Derby County. We need to seek out people who could be pursued as potential full or part owners and major sponsors.

Have you ever read the CUSL plan? That was precisely the premise.

It failed to gain sufficient support and the only thing that has changed is that the three key markets in Canada are already hosting MLS teams.

Is that plan floating around on the net anywhere?

Aye, thars the rub. All the Canadian highrollers I've come across or have seen through tv don't seem interested in anything Canadian-only. I had a chance to talk directly with Brett Wilson regarding whether he'd ever consider investing in Canadian soccer, and he told me point blank that he didn't think it'd ever fly, nor would he ever consider the possibility of investing anyway, and he is a part owner of Derby County. We need to seek out people who could be pursued as potential full or part owners and major sponsors.

That's the key, guys like Wilson, Stronach etc. are heavy hitters who love Soccer and they have no interest in Cdn Soccer. Wilson can buy into Derby County while they're a Championship team and try to turn them around back to the Prem. and in the process probably double his money. Can he do that here in Canada? No.

Was that before TFC made $8 million in four seasons (AFTER cooking the numbers)?

Seriously, the landscape somewhat changed with that success, right?

From the quotes I've read and hearing Brett Wilson talk he comes across a total newby to soccer with barely a shred of a clue about the game so I'm not surprised. He only bought into Derby after he happened to attend a game with some business partners and said something to the tune of "wow this soccer thing is neat, those fans really make a lot of noise. Next time I'm sitting down there with them."

Archived