Winnipeg 14-year old to go on trial at Liverpool

jonovision

Let's not forget that Bustos was selected to train at the NTC when he was 12, he has spent the last 2 years there so it's not like he hasn't been in our system. And i'd bet one of my nuts that either or both of the Caps and TFC have spoken to him and his father about joining their Academies. The Canadian system has probably done everything it can to help this kid develop.

Totally agree. Look at Messi - he left Argentina at 12 to go to Barcelona. Obviously Argentina is able to develop outstanding players at home but players everywhere in the world who get the chance are going to go to where the top clubs are.

If his trial is successful FIFA mandates that the family move to England, are they willing to do so? Or is his mother British (which would enable him to move there by himself)?

I hear the dad is from Chile and a bit of a periah in the soccer community. They have no EU passport and through the protection of Minors act would not be able to sign because he would A/ not geta visa and B/ the family is unwilling to move.

This makes his ten day trial- that they are fundrasiing for ( i knew LFC were broke but not that broke) is really just a nice little trip for the boy and his dad. He does not meet any requirement to stay even if they think he's good. Some old agent is getting him over there. He'll be back. The best route for any Canadian Kid is Whitecaps, TFC or Impact. The dad is using the whole thing as apublicity stunt for his academy and his kid.

It's not a complete waste, when you can say you trained with Liverpool... a great experience, and if he's really that good then he will have no problem joining an academy here.

From Marco's perspective it's not a waste, but the reality is this is not a "trial" it's a 10-day training session. And the people picking up the tab are not LFC (which should tell you something), but a bunch of soccer loving customers possibly being duped into thinking they're helping fundraise for this kid to play for Liverpool - which is not the case.

Why are we so excited about a Canadian getting a trial with a midtable team? ;)

I kid, I kid. But honestly I hope this kid raises a few eyebrows elsewhere in the northwest but please please don't let us have a national team player playing for Liverpool

Why are we so excited about a Canadian getting a trial with a midtable team? ;)

I kid, I kid. But honestly I hope this kid raises a few eyebrows elsewhere in the northwest but please please don't let us have a national team player playing for Liverpool

I don't really follow EPL but at least Liverpool doesn't have a history of Canadian traitors playing for it unlike another team I could name! :)

Agree with JPG though that the fact that Liverpool is not footing the bill for the "trial" speaks volumes.

• 2 months later...

Archived