Impact Unveiling A New (Real) Academy

MastaK

Interesting that one of their key qualification requirements is that applicants must already be resident in Quebec and speak French. This immediately limits their pool of prospects versus the Whitecaps program.

" Les joueurs anglophones recrutés par ce programme pourront fréquenter l'école secondaire Lester-B.-Pearson."

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/310077.html

So it seems anglophone players will also be recruited.

" Les joueurs anglophones recrutés par ce programme pourront fréquenter l'école secondaire Lester-B.-Pearson."

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/310077.html

So it seems anglophone players will also be recruited.

Sure, but Anglophones who can speak French and are existing Quebec residents which suggests they won't be recruiting outside Quebec or if they do the kids will need to be French speaking anyway because Quebec law requires they attend French schools.

Sure, but Anglophones who can speak French and are existing Quebec residents which suggests they won't be recruiting outside Quebec or if they do the kids will need to be French speaking anyway because Quebec law requires they attend French schools.

Who's surprised at Richard writing uninformed and innacurate things? Anyone? Anyone?

Is this thing on?

microphone-with-stand.jpg

Who's surprised at Richard writing uninformed and innacurate things? Anyone? Anyone?

Is this thing on?

Isn't he silly? Tell Bishop's, Stanstead, LCC, Centennial kids that they're all bilingual and have to speak french. And that's just the upscale private schools.

And why would it limit it to Quebecers?

AFAIK, there aren't any when it comes to development. Which is why I saw WFC scouts in Newfoundland as well as heard about them here in Quebec.

Not yet, but each MLS team has a home territory based on the size of market that it can solely recruit from. When IMFC joins MLS they will be given a zone, likely Quebec, and will only be allowed to bring in a limited number (3?) of players from outside their zone. For example TFC has a recruitment area spanning 100 miles i believe, which is why a player like Bryce Alderson from Kitchener - just outside the zone - was able to go play for Vancouver.

Is this thing on?

Well except for Quebec, Eastern Ont, Northern Ont, and Acadie so other than that IMFC..............never mind Richard's right only Qc has Francophone or bilingual players.

And Manitoba, don't forget Manitoba

Or Saskois

Hmmmmmmmmm. Francophone or Bilingual Universities outside Qc.

Universite Ste-Anne NS, Universite de Moncton (3 campi around NB) , U of Ottawa, Nipissing U ([sp]North Bay Ont), Laurentian U (Sudbury Ont)

Would they be there because of local need? Any others?

According to Stats Can.

75% of Qc indenitfies themselves French Speakers

32% of NB

23% of PEI

16% of NS

16% of Saskatchewan

11% of Ont but almost a million and a half.

Sorry the IMFC example of not being able to draw Academy players means drawing from almost 10 million population base if French is the only language used, which it won't be.

STEREOTYPING maybe guys?

Not yet, but each MLS team has a home territory based on the size of market that it can solely recruit from. When IMFC joins MLS they will be given a zone, likely Quebec, and will only be allowed to bring in a limited number (3?) of players from outside their zone. For example TFC has a recruitment area spanning 100 miles i believe, which is why a player like Bryce Alderson from Kitchener - just outside the zone - was able to go play for Vancouver.

Oh MLS, will you ever stop bringing the lulz?

The big question I have is what do you do with the really good players that have below 75% average marks....student athletes are great...but not every athlete is a great student.

As a teacher I agree that this is a problem. It would be a shame to lose a player because he has a 71% average. I'm sure things will be done to ensure that the best players receive a 75% or better average (extra tutoring, studying, improper intimidation of teachers, etc...)

That is only true if you are from outside of Canada. If you have studied in english outside of Quebec but in Canada or have parents who studied in english in Canada you have the right to study in French or English.

The big question I have is what do you do with the really good players that have below 75% average marks....student athletes are great...but not every athlete is a great student.

I forget if you're from Quebec or not, but with SE, you certainly have time to get a 75% average in the subjects you take. My friends went through it and their marks went up usually.

That is only true if you are from outside of Canada. If you have studied in english outside of Quebec but in Canada or have parents who studied in english in Canada you have the right to study in French or English.

Aww, why did you have to go and throw common sense at Richard?

As a teacher I agree that this is a problem. It would be a shame to lose a player because he has a 71% average. I'm sure things will be done to ensure that the best players receive a 75% or better average (extra tutoring, studying, improper intimidation of teachers, etc...)

of course there are many many ways to keep a bad student in the sports program (we just need to look at NCAA for examples!)

Archived