Expansion draft on Nov 24th

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know most will disagree but I have a feeling that the Whitecaps will pick de Guzman in the draft

I think Vancouver is smart enough to know how to get value for their money, and so JDG stays in Toronto. It is telling that Vancouver's first signing is an American international. Vancouver is sending the message that they are building a team of competent players regardless of nationality.

With Nkufo, Schelotto & Angel available Barrett's only positive is that he is much cheaper than those 3. JDG? No thanks. Too much. A lot of the players picked will be lower priced types so Barrett could get picked, Portland more likely than Van.

Nkufo is all Vancouver's... I would bet that part of his deal was to be left unprotected so he can go to Vancouver (where his girlfriend lives and why he came over to Seattle)

Nkufo is all Vancouver's... I would bet that part of his deal was to be left unprotected so he can go to Vancouver (where his girlfriend lives and why he came over to Seattle)

Wouldn't doubt Barrett for the same reason. TFC probably saw a way of clearing cap space, and getting Barrett back home in order to make things easier for everyone.

Why? So he can become the next Cunningham or Casey? He is frustrating to watch since he could accomplish more if his skill level matched his athletic ability and a case could be made that he is overpaid. On the other hand he was one of the better players for TFC this year if you consider the plays and goals he did make as opposed to the plays and goals he could have made. Possibly TFC could get a better player for his salary but most of the time they have got worse players for this type of money.

Im not worried about Barrett being the next Cunningham or Casey... at least those guys had success elsewhere before coming to TO (and well Casey never really played for Toronto), Barrett is a never was I can't wait til hes gone from TFC he just screams cancer when you watch the way he is on the pitch. You hear about that American vs. Canadian war at TFC? Barrett is definitely not a favourite with many players and thats why he was left unprotected.

De Guzman is worth that money, no one has seen the player he is and can be... its the Toronto disease

If Vancouver selected JDG im sure we'd see a much different player in 2011

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of JDG but for the money he is being paid for the position he plays we already have players who aren't going to eat up salary cap. Add in the fact that we already have 3 DP/NearDP types on the team. If we get anyone else high paid it will be a striker. That is why I'm think Nkufo will be the one. Plus to take a quality striker from an arch rival like Seattle :)

De Guzman is worth that money, no one has seen the player he is and can be... its the Toronto disease

If Vancouver selected JDG im sure we'd see a much different player in 2011

I just can't see vancouver taking that kind of risk (after watching him at TFC for a year and a half) on a DM under a tight cap. There are great options available in the draft that won't break the bank. I believe Vancouver has also been scouting is S.A. which may prove to be fruitful.

Julian is a phenomenal player, but it is hard for a small guy to play ball winner in MLS. As the MLS final showed, it can be an extremely physically demanding league. That being said, TFC did not exactly have the best supporting cast for him to play with. Vancouver, if they chose him, may be able to improve on that point.

Im not worried about Barrett being the next Cunningham or Casey... at least those guys had success elsewhere before coming to TO (and well Casey never really played for Toronto), Barrett is a never was I can't wait til hes gone from TFC he just screams cancer when you watch the way he is on the pitch. You hear about that American vs. Canadian war at TFC? Barrett is definitely not a favourite with many players and thats why he was left unprotected.

Never hear about this what happened?

This thread started from a Toronto pov, and continues as such with some other big names being thrown around. Lost, IMO, is the quality of players available at the 40k-60k range. Sanna Nyassi would jump to mind as the #1 pick, unless he's headed to Europe. There's also Atiba Harris & Adam Moffat on the foreign side, and serviceable domestics like Cristman, Ashe, Chijindu, Lowry, Thompson, etc. The best thing the Caps can do is to come out this draft with a little offensive depth and no more than $600k in cap hit. If we can bring six current roster players in as home growns with no cap hit and these 10 guys for $400-600k, we have of resources to work with. To me, a guy like Chiumiento has a lot more upside than JDG, and cap space means we can go after 3-6 more of these types of players (Rochat & DeMerit included) and fill out the roster with current USL scrubs, many of whom will take the minimum. As much as I'd consider a Collins John, for example, taking a series of flyers on $150-200k guys would be a disaster IMO.

Guest piltdownmanWC

Anyone know what the status of the three Brazilians on loan to LAG are? Alex Cazumba and Leonardo Da Silva are both unprotected. Cazumba is only on $70k so that would be great value.

Does anyone know when the draft starts? Is there any way to know who is selected in real time or do we have to wait for them to announce the final lists?

Also does anyone know what kind of cap hit the current/new Caps will be. I'm thinking bigger names like Nolly, DeMerit, Chiumiento, Rochat, Akloul and Dunfield.

cheers,

matthew

Summary of picks:

Portland

1) McCarty (DAL)

2) Wallace (COL)

3) Sturgis (SEA)

4) Nimo (RSL)

5) Schuler (RSL)

6) Ward (SJ)

7) Thomas (SKC)

8) Sassano (NY)

9) Ashe (HOU)

10) Sinovic (NE)

Vancouver

1) De Guzman (TFC)

2) Nkufo (SEA)

3) Davies (DAL)

4) Onstad (HOU)

5) Griffit (CLB)

6) Salinas (PHI)

7) LaBauex (COL)

8) Padilla (CHV)

9) Lowry (CHI)

10) Ubiparipovic (NY)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/predicting-expansion-draft

I wouldn't be mad with that outcome, though I doubt we take 2 DP's, but then why not, we won't have the money to lure anyone better at that sort of money. It will depend on the confidence in the players in camp filling the rest of the roster, which I would approve of well, I think the MLS is a tough league to judge how someone will do until they actually hit the pitch.

2. VANCOUVER WHITECAPS - BLAISE NKUFO (Seattle Sounders)

The Whitecaps need a forward and NKufo showed in half a season with Seattle that he was capable of keeping up his Dutch League scoring pace in MLS. NKufo’s family also lives in British Columbia.

That's a cool little tidbit that I had forgotten about.Also there is the Swiss connection with three other new (potential) Caps, right?

Regarding that MLS article: It certainly would be a shocker to see Vancouver snatch Julian away from TFC but I don't think he could possibly play worse than he did last season. A change in scenery might do him a world of good and him getting back to his playing form of a couple of seasons ago would put Vancouver in a very good position.

Regarding that MLS article: It certainly would be a shocker to see Vancouver snatch Julian away from TFC but I don't think he could possibly play worse than he did last season. A change in scenery might do him a world of good and him getting back to his playing form of a couple of seasons ago would put Vancouver in a very good position.

Yeah, Julian would be a better choice than Schelotto, and as for Nfuko it sorta seems all but done.

Yeah, Julian would be a better choice than Schelotto, and as for Nfuko it sorta seems all but done.

No and No. JDG and Schelotto are good but we have that role covered by much less expensive players. Nkufo may be old but can still score and some veteran leader up top to go with the vets on defense could be good for all the young strikers we seem to have. Nyassi may be worth taking first if Portland doesn't and then get Nkufo next if Portland doesn't. Nyassi fits the Caps youth movement. Plus the Caps will take Salgado first in the next draft.

Archived