Whitecaps Release Season Ticket Prices...

These prices are pretty steep. For a comparison, my section 110 seats at BMO are $490/seat. Which compares to the Caps Yellow section 224 price of $598/seat. -

And my BMO price was after 4 years of price increases not our first year..which I think were $240.

I'm guessing the Purple seats may be covered as it looks like the boxes are that side? Dunno just making a guess here.

Have the Southsiders and other supporters confirmed what section they will be sitting in? I'm guessing the Aqua but that seems steep.

I have 8 deposits and not sure how many I will actually buy at these prices.

These prices are pretty steep. For a comparison, my section 110 seats at BMO are $490/seat. Which compares to the Caps Yellow section 224 price of $598/seat. -

And my BMO price was after 4 years of price increases not our first year..which I think were $240.

I'm guessing the Purple seats may be covered as it looks like the boxes are that side? Dunno just making a guess here.

Have the Southsiders and other supporters confirmed what section they will be sitting in? I'm guessing the Aqua but that seems steep.

I have 8 deposits and not sure how many I will actually buy at these prices.

If you want to sit/stand with the Southsiders, you should read this thread:

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4563

These are among the highest prices in the league, i think they've overestimated the ferver here in Van and will feel the pinch when people start dropping out, I desperately want to be a part of this $1200 plus HST for two non-supporter section tickets is too much for a first year expansion football club I don't care how many years they've been around.

Even if I could afford it I probably wouldn't pay it, I have three deposits, does anyone want to take them off me??

These are among the highest prices in the league, i think they've overestimated the ferver here in Van and will feel the pinch when people start dropping out, I desperately want to be a part of this $1200 plus HST for two non-supporter section tickets is too much for a first year expansion football club I don't care how many years they've been around.

Even if I could afford it I probably wouldn't pay it, I have three deposits, does anyone want to take them off me??

I haven't looked around too much, but it seems that if non-supporter seats are what you're after, the cheapest ticket is just over $300 per year.

wow - just scanned that southsiders thread - wow there are some pissed off people, people on whose backs the club was planning to build one the better atmospheres/clubs in the league

this is a bad start - a really bad start

the FO have evidently been counting on cashing in on TFC/sounders part deux and it ain't gonna happen - this is a city of asian immigrants (my wife included) and old yuppies (neither group caring much about domestic football) and is a far cry for toronto - they just priced most of the suburbs out of the equation to boot

they will have to bring in a ronaldinho to make up for this blunder - and even a name like that won't make a single difference to the true fans of this team or the people who know better

I've got a bad feeling about this...

I think this makes some sence but seems somewhat harch!

Yes the prices are high! Yes its ludicrous! And yes I would be pist off if I had registered for a package.

The thing is that BMO has many empty seats during league games, I know the seats are paid for, but the atmosphere sufers!

If this pricing system works perhaps it will deter people who would not always be present to buy tickets. Thus allowing more supporters to purchase 1 ticket at a time.

This of course would only work if the fan base is there. So I am wondering why piss them off so much rigt hup the gecko before you even scored a lone goal!

I am looking forward to seeing the numbers of season tickets actually sold!

I think this makes some sence but seems somewhat harch!

Yes the prices are high! Yes its ludicrous! And yes I would be pist off if I had registered for a package....

Compared to what happens in a lot of European countries these days $16 is still a great price for watching a game in a top tier division. Think people need to realize that the move from Swangard to BC Place and from D2 to D1 is inevitably going to come with a higher price tag attached.

the FO have evidently been counting on cashing in on TFC/sounders part deux and it ain't gonna happen - this is a city of asian immigrants (my wife included) and old yuppies (neither group caring much about domestic football) and is a far cry for toronto - they just priced most of the suburbs out of the equation to boot

Soccer is hugely popular in many parts of Asia. Why would high levels of immigration from Asia be problematic from an attendance standpoint? Maybe worth bearing in mind also that a lot of those "old yuppies" you mention would have been Whitecaps fans back in the NASL era but have steered well clear since then just as a massive portion of the soccer community in Toronto ignored minor league franchises like the Lynx.

I just took a look at the seating chart and i don't see what all the moaning is about. You can get great seats in the Blue section for $798, which is alot less than the $1600 or so TFC fans have to pay for similar seats. If paying an extra $200 bucks is what is pissing you off why don't you tell the FO to **** off and commandeer one of the green sections at $319? You guys are probably all among the first depositors on the ST list anyways right?

Pass the lube.

Someone needs to explain to too many of the folks on your board, Morbital most embarassingly, that higher prices WILL NOT be to help pay for better players and make the Caps more successful. Other than the questionable efficacy of DPs the league already pays for your whole team. In fact, considering that the league garnishes about 30% of the gate to help pay for everyone else's players, what the highest endline ticket prices in MLS will really help improve is the rest of the league. Congratulations.

I'm glad I got to enjoy MLS while it was cheap. Because between what Toronto wants to do and now this it's pretty clear to me that as soon as this league becomes really successful I'm not going to be a season ticket holder. As someone who's long supported the growth of the game domestically that sucks and it feels very strange to be hoping that the league doesn't get better so that I don't end up priced out. Longtimers in BC have a right to feel abused and hopefully fans around the league see where this is going.

I just took a look at the seating chart and i don't see what all the moaning is about. You can get great seats in the Blue section for $798, which is alot less than the $1600 or so TFC fans have to pay for similar seats. If paying an extra $200 bucks is what is pissing you off why don't you tell the FO to **** off and commandeer one of the green sections at $319? You guys are probably all among the first depositors on the ST list anyways right?

I agree with this.

At first glance it appears the only really stupid pricing is what they have for the two ends. The rest seems way more reasonable than what TFC offers.

When I have a bit more time I will try to do a price comparison between the 2 teams.

Compared to what happens in a lot of European countries these days $16 is still a great price for watching a game in a top tier division.

First, it's quite disingenuous to point to those small slices of tickets when talking about where most supporters want to be. Endline seats work out to closer to $30 per game after adding in taxes and service charges and even the cheap ones you quote actually work out to about $19 a game.

Second, you know that there are more countries in Europe than England, right?

My German's not great but what does this say? A standing ticket in the North Stand behind the goal is 160 Euros? About $224?

Same thing here in Holland where endlines, the Bunnik side and City side, also cost 160E BEFORE discounts for youths or seniors.

Anyone want to translate what it costs to stand in the Curva for a season of Napoli matches? Is it 250 or 210 Euros (for 19 games)? That's higher but still a lot less than the equivalent Caps ticket.

And, considering that St. Etienne will apparently sell me a single match ticket for Tribue Charles Paret for 15E - $21? - I'm gonna bet that season tickets are a bit cheaper there too.

Forget the stupid comparisons with Man U and the Scottish 7th division. The Caps haven't even kicked off in our topflight and they've already sent a message about where they see themselves going. I don't understand why anyone would be nonchalant about what's going on here.

My blog post on the matter has some information, but a summary is: "you're all right."

The cheap tickets are pretty reasonably-priced for MLS, and there's not a terrible selection. The expensive tickets are quite affordable as well, compared to the rest of the league. The supporters' tickets are the most expensive in the history of Major League Soccer and by miles.

Any thoughts on why purple is $200 more than blue?

If you click on the names of the colors, its a link that takes you to a description. The purple has "in seat service" and "access to an excusive lounge"

Its also interesting to see that any of the sections above blue, come with the note that "for all matches played at Empire Stadium, season tickets will be credited to reflect per game price of Blue section". I was wondering how they were going to handle that.

First, it's quite disingenuous to point to those small slices of tickets when talking about where most supporters want to be.

Despite RPB being in a more or less comparable location at BMO Field and U-Sector being very close by? Never been to BC Place but if the seating behind the goals is raised and has a steep rake to it (think that's the technical term anyway) the sightlines may be more attractive than you think and certainly better than those in 115 that neither of the south end fan groups wanted to have anything to do with back in late 2006. If that is the case there may be method to the Whitecap's apparent madness. The whole curva thing grew up because when there's a running track the vantage point behind the goal can be abysmal hence significantly cheaper ticket prices were charged and the hardcore gravitated there for that reason. In my experience when fans have the ability to move to the sidelines for the same price as used to happen in most Scottish grounds back when there was terracing most of the vocal portion of the fanbase will do it.

The pricing to me looks to be about 1/3 of the cost of the Canucks. I'm not sure there's an equivalent demand for tickets though? The Caps need to do everything possible to keep the stadium full and pissing off the one supporters group they have is not a good start. Having said this, I know from my own office that the proverbial "D1" product is attracting a lot of interest from people who would not go to Swangard. Most of these people are not flinching at the prices. Though one of them looked at the prices and commented that he just saw a league match at Emirates for 33 quid.

The atmosphere will definitely suffer. With Swangard, the big matches had 20% of the stadium filled with vocal supporters. There's no way that will happen now.

The pricing to me looks to be about 1/3 of the cost of the Canucks. I'm not sure there's an equivalent demand for tickets though? The Caps need to do everything possible to keep the stadium full and pissing off the one supporters group they have is not a good start. Having said this, I know from my own office that the proverbial "D1" product is attracting a lot of interest from people who would not go to Swangard. Most of these people are not flinching at the prices. Though one of them looked at the prices and commented that he just saw a league match at Emirates for 33 quid.

The atmosphere will definitely suffer. With Swangard, the big matches had 20% of the stadium filled with vocal supporters. There's no way that will happen now.

Mostly true, but the southside has never ever been at a 20% of Swangard slice… maybe the odd playoff game, its more like 10%. Im worried that the sections that will suffer the most is behind the goals, where you really want them to be standing room only, the Southsiders are not that big a group yet and this pricing will not help their growth at all. I still can't understand where the Whitecaps are getting the justification for these numbers and prices?

I'd like to bring some clarity to the reason for the outrage in Vancouver. This is also posted on the Southsiders board, but I think it is worth sharing with supporters across Canada.

In our view....

The Vancouver Southsiders do not claim to be entitled to any discounts, kickbacks, obligations, special favours or prices. Our money is as good as anyone else's when it comes to supporting the Whitecaps. We are not "owed" anything for supporting the club up to this point, nor are we claiming to be.

The current uproar within our membership is largely due to the Whitecaps' failure to adequately manage the expectations of its supporters.

The Whitecaps' entire marketing campaign to date has been centred around the $319 price point as the proverbial "cheap seats."

When you look at EVERY team in MLS (and most football leagues in the UK and Europe, for that matter) the cheapest seats are nosebleeds and the seats behind the goal.

It's an obstructed view for most down there, which makes it affordable, and that is why your most active supporters groups tend to congregate there. To those fans it's not about the view, it's about the experience.

It is therefore not at all surprising that members of the Southsiders (and others in Vancouver who are interested in "supporting" as opposed to "watching") arrived at the conclusion that the cheap seats would be behind the net.

However, when taxes and fees are included, seats behind the net are **$200 more** than what the vast majority were anticipating as result of the marketing campaign. That's quite a shock to the system, let alone the wallet.

Here's the behind the net pricing for the big teams in MLS to illustrate a point:

Whitecaps $560

LA Galaxy $400

Seattle Sounders $400

Portland Timbers $369

Toronto FC $361

NY Red Bulls $272

The pricing for Toronto and Seatlle sparked chaos with their supporters this year... and here we are, set to play in a temporary tin-can venue (Empire Field) with no signings, charging $160 more than Seattle and $200 more than TFC.

The Galaxy have David Beckham, and their package includes 3 - 5 major friendlies. Last year they hosted Real Madrid and Boca Juniors. We will be paying more than Galaxy fans just to see FC Edmonton and Montreal.

The Red Bulls are in the most expensive and most lucrative market in North America, with the league's arguably highest profile signing in Thierry Henry. Those fans are paying exactly what I paid to stand at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium last year for division two football.

Which brings me to this:

Last year, I paid $270 for the "privilege" of standing on metal bleachers, pissing in port-a-loos, waiting in line at substandard concessions and arriving 2.5 hrs early to ensure I could get a parking space.

Next year I will be at Empire, probably for the entire season. Once again, I will stand on metal bleachers, piss in a port-a-loo, tough it out in long lines for overpriced concessions and pay $30 for parking... and if I want the "privilege" of standing where I have since 1999, I have to pay $300 more more for my ticket than I did last year.

It is absolutely inconceivable that we should be forced to pay the same exorbitant prices for Empire Field as we will at BC Place. There is absolutely no justification for that, not even if we stocked our team with stars in their prime from the likes of Real Madrid.

Speaking of which...

Vancouverites will pay more for their seats behind the net than fans of Real Madrid do. And here's a kick in the ass - we only get two Canadian Championship matches in our package. They pay less than we do, and they get three matches to the UEFA Champions League!

I'm not so daft as not to know that Canada and Spain's economies are apples and oranges. I do however think there is an important lesson there though.

The Whitecaps have a stated goal of becoming a top-25 club on the global stage. Real Madrid has to rank in the top 3 on that list easily.

I would suggest that the Whitecaps should be looking to learn from the best before attempting to climb the ranks on the wallets of the supporters who kept them afloat through the dark days of the 1990s and 2000s.

Hell, they can even look at the bottom feeding dregs of the MLS for some wisdom.

DC United's supporters group, the Screaming Eagles, are paying less than what Vancouverites will to stand behind the net.

In return, their club provides the supporters group with a financial kickback estimated at around $75 per member. This allows the Screaming Eagles to provide their members fans with a free jersey every year, and free beer at tailgate parties before every match.

On a price-per-match analysis, I will concede that the $560 "Aqua" supporters section isn't too high, especially for the Vancouver's vastly overpriced sports market. It certainly pales in comparison to prices for the Canucks.

Unfortunately, Vancouver's fans don't have the option of paying on a price-per-match basis. It's an all or nothing deal, with half due in November, and half due in February.... that's right before Christmas, and right after. The Whitecaps couldn't have dropped this news at a worse time, although I acknowledge that the renovations at BC Place have played a role in this timing.

A more comprehensive and accessible payment plan would do wonders to quell this uproar. Almost every team in MLS has one, save for a few, and none of those exceptions are in markets as pricey as we are.

I also question this:

- Why do end zone seats for BC Lions games at BC Place cost 40% less than the corner seats... but at a Whitecaps match they will cost 55% more than the same corners?

- Why are the sections priced in a way so that two people with an aisle between them have a pricing differential of nearly $200?

It's a Mickey Mouse pricing plan, plain and simple. The Vancouver Southsiders should have been the Whitecaps' easiest customers to sell this experience to, and now we have several long-time members questioning whether this is a club worth supporting.

Sigh. Welcome to "modern football," Vancouver!

Great post Johnnie.

Okay, I am probably in for a few games a year, but I know where I want to be when I am there, and probably where I'd like to go with friends (though not my mom, who decided she wanted me to take her to Swangard this last summer; luckily, the Caps were on a long road trip). Behind the goal but not right behind the net, I do want to see the play.

Corner supporter groups are not really it, I have seen them and they are alright, and true, often view of play is great, but you in fact need way more fans to make an impact there than at the end. Behind the goal is the place to be, with a few hundred fans minimum, ideally some 500.

As far as I am concerned, who cares how the stadium ends up, everyone has their right to be a fan in the way they want. The important thing is at least one strong body of fans. And ideally another one, complementary, in another part of the stadium.

Archived