Toronto FC turns to Klinsmann

RS

It appears that Juergen Klinsmann has been given the job of fixing the myriad problems of Toronto FC.

Sources close to the MLS club have confirmed that owners Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment are in the final stages of negotiating a consulting role for Klinsmann and his California-based company Soccer Solutions. An announcement is expected early next week.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-turns-to-klinsmann/article1778410/

When I saw the title I almost had a heart attack thinking that Klinsmann was going to the new GM/coach of TFC and that they would become a league power because of this. Even regardless of his talent as a coach, a lot of players would be attracted to the team to just play under him. Nevertheless, a pretty good hire as a consultant on who to bring in. It looks like MLSE is serious about getting it right this time.

When I saw the title I almost had a heart attack thinking that Klinsmann was going to the new GM/coach of TFC and that they would become a league power because of this. Even regardless of his talent as a coach, a lot of players would be attracted to the team to just play under him. Nevertheless, a pretty good hire as a consultant on who to bring in. It looks like MLSE is serious about getting it right this time.

Exactly why I said meh. When I read further to see it was only a "consulting role" I was really indifferent. However, he can bring something to the team.

I think this move will work out well for the club. They're effectively paying Klinsmann to be the face of TFC management which will hopefully persuade solid soccer people to come onboard. Who would you rather report to if you're a respected soccer figure, Tom Anselmi or Klinsmann?

Hopefully he'll eventually recommend himself because otherwise this looks like a PR stunt to certain extent designed to encourage people on the waiting list to buy season tickets. It's too late now for him to do a proper appraisal on the coaches that are in place. Wouldn't he have to see them in action with the first team and the academy to judge what they have to offer?

I wouldn't get too excited about Klinsmann's involvement. I doubt it is for the long term, just to help hire the new GM and head coach then he'll ride off into the sunset never to be seen again at TFC until they offer another lucrative consulting contract to use his name again. It's not as if they have put him on TFC's payroll!

Definitely no coincidence that this Jurgen Klinsmann news was released hours before this email was sent out to season ticket holders:

Hola BBTB,

As you know, next week we begin our relocation opportunity for renewed Season Seat Holders. Closely following that we will begin the process of offering additional seats to renewed Season Seat Holders. We would like to offer you the ability to add seats to your account before we approach the waiting list.

To ensure our waiting list is given an opportunity to purchase season tickets, existing Season Seat Holder accounts cannot exceed 4 seats.

Package and Pricing for Additional Season Seats:

Additional seat packages include the same matches as your renewal.

• For 2011, the price for additional tickets will reflect your renewal prices!
  • Similar to your renewed season seats we will freeze the price of your additional tickets for the 2012 season
  • Additional season tickets will also include the 2011 home opener for free!

To see a complete pricing map click here. ...

I wonder if Stephen Brunt is now being fed TFC exclusives in exchange for Paul James being silenced? Been a while since there has been a James on Soccer blog entry. Beyond that it's depressing to see how many of the people amongst the "knowledgeable fanbase" who were talking about walking away from the team a week or so ago are now experiencing a wave of euphoria based on not much more than name recognition but on the bright side the thought that there are probably people like that who actually did jump off the bandwagon on season ticket renewal who are now regretting it based on a similar crazy mood swing is quite amusing. As for whether it will actually make any difference in the long run it's maybe worth comparing and contrasting Preki's record at Chivas USA with that of Klinsmann's deputy at Bayern Munich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Vasquez

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but Dobson has mentioned a few of the early candidates for the top job (as well as perhaps implying that Klinsmann might be in it for the long-run in that consultant/overseer role): http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/10/30/dobson_candidates/

Not really too enamoured with some of the names there to be honest. Donadoni hasn't really done anything with any of the sides he's managed and obviously has no MLS experience. Queiroz might work out but again, not really a great record as the #1 guy. The others I'm not really too familiar with when it comes to their coaching careers so can't really comment.

As for whether it will actually make any difference in the long run it's maybe worth comparing and contrasting Preki's record at Chivas USA with that of Klinsmann's deputy at Bayern Munich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Vasquez

I don't see any relevance at all to him being assistant to Klinsmann at Bayern. Regardless of his results in Chivas this year he may be a fine assistant coach. Indeed before moving to Bayern he was a longtime assistant coach at Chivas USA from its first year under head coaches such as Thomas Rongen, Javier Ledesma, Bob Bradley and even your beloved Preki. I imagine this was why he was chosen for the job this year was his history at Chivas as opposed to a recommendation from Klinsmann.

Roberto Donadoni and Franco Baresi both played in Canada for AC Milan, for what it's worth, so should have some concept of what the GTA is all about. Can remember seeing them in action about 20 years ago against an NSL select team at the old JW Little stadium in London, Ont (slightly surreal watching a legendary player like Franco Baresi play on a pitch you've played on yourself) during a post- or preseason North American tour. I wonder if Donadoni was Big Bird's interested ex-serie A coach?

Avtually, Donadoni played for the Metrostars for a couple years so he knows a little of what MLS used to be like. Quiroz coached Metrostars for a year as well so both do have some MLS experience. Not sure either is the right choice, but nice to hear some candidates emerging.

Not to mention that Queiroz was responsible for the USA's Project 2010 report which for the last 12 years has been their building block towards winning a world cup. He looks to have some interest in the North American game so it wouldnt surprise me.

BUT, he might just be another consultant.... so lets not get ahead of ourselves

For my money, I think Queiroz is the cream of Dobson's list.

Totally agree, I think he is a fine option. He is serious, relaxed, very knowledgeable. Able to assess his players. Not too spectacular, even keel. You'd have to give him time but that is the case with everyone, and since TFC has been patient with scrub they can be patient with quality too in the coaching position.

Archived