2010 Caribbean Cup

tarnado1555362291

So to recap this tournament as it applies to bumping us out of the Top 8 in CONCACAF:

Guyana were hot on our heels in 9th place, 11 points behind us. They lost both official matches played against Antigua and Jamaica. They will lose ground.

Grenada were in 10th place, 28 points behind us. They defeated T&T which will likely net them approx. 500 points, and tied Cuba which is another 150 points. Those results were diluted by losses to Jamaica and Cuba in the playoff round. 650 points from 4 games, added to whatever totals they had running over the course of the past 12 months. Might jump ahead of us?

Cuba were in 11th place, 50 points behind. They defeated T&T which will likely net them approx. 500 points, and tied Grenada which is another 150 points. Win over Grenada in the 3rd place match is another 450 points or so. So that's 1100 points in 3 matches, should push them ahead of us.

Jamaica will definitely stay ahead of us in 7th place with all their positive results. T&T lost to both Cuba and Grenada so that's 2 more matches with 0 points added to their running tally this year. They were 19 points ahead of us so it might not be enough to drop them below us. In summary, I wouldn't be surprised if we're down to 10th for the next rankings.

I've been tracking Canada's points for a little while now, and though I don't really have the time, I've just started calculating some of the other teams' points as well.

Cuba had a great run in this tournament, which will put them well ahead of Canada for some time to come, almost certainly including for next year's May 2011 WCQ ranking. Trinidad and Tobago's poor results in this tournament will put them behind Canada for December, and subject of course to what happens over the next five months, I am currently projecting them to be about 60 points behind Canada as of May 2011. So that's some hopeful news.

Update: Grenada will still be behind us as of next month. Despite their decent performance in this year's Caribbean Cup, their decent results from the 2008 Caribbean Cup are now weighted less, so they will actually lose points. For the May 2011 rankings, though, they're currently only 30 points behind Canada, so the (likely very few) results over the next few months may be very important.

Trinidad and Tobago's poor results in this tournament will put them behind Canada for December, and subject of course to what happens over the next five months, I am currently projecting them to be about 60 points behind Canada as of May 2011. So that's some hopeful news.

12/06/2010

NEW YORK - CONCACAF President Jack Warner announced Monday that changes have been made for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup draw to take place next June in Zurich. The draw will now utilize the November 2010 FIFA rankings as opposed to the previously announced May 2011 FIFA rankings.

"We wanted to make things fairer for all involved," said Warner. "when you wait until May you have no idea where you will end up (in the draw) and we did not want that."

The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be the 20th edition of the FIFA World Cup and is to take place in June and July of 2014 in Brazil.

http://www.concacaf.com/ConfederationNews/JackWarner+FIFADraw.html

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Never mind who it advantages and who it disadvantages, it's completely idiotic.

The point of the draw is to make build the groups, depending on the strength of the teams. How can anyone justify using rankings that are 6 months old? Or even one month? I'm not talking conspiracy here, I am serious. Is there anything close to a logical explanation?

And why the hell doesn't FIFA have a rule saying that the rankings used MUST be those of the month of the draw?

12/06/2010

NEW YORK - CONCACAF President Jack Warner announced Monday that changes have been made for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup draw to take place next June in Zurich. The draw will now utilize the November 2010 FIFA rankings as opposed to the previously announced May 2011 FIFA rankings.

"We wanted to make things fairer for all involved," said Warner. "when you wait until May you have no idea where you will end up (in the draw) and we did not want that."

The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be the 20th edition of the FIFA World Cup and is to take place in June and July of 2014 in Brazil.

That is unbeleivable...

Just to be clear that means they'll use the rankings released mid November?

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=23914&rank=198

These rankings right?

Correct, though i thought it was pretty funny! The release and the link are both fake, sorry guys, once you guys kept piling on I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to catch on...

Hahahaha... Wow I too went through a range of emotion.

I actually spent about a half an hour analyzing the rankings trying to figure the best and worst possible groups for Canada... You owe me a half hour.

Correct, though i thought it was pretty funny! The release and the link are both fake, sorry guys, once you guys kept piling on I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to catch on...

I know this was a joke but I'll put money that Jack uses the rankings that has T&T in the highest seed possible.

I've been tracking Canada's points for a little while now, and though I don't really have the time, I've just started calculating some of the other teams' points as well.

Cuba had a great run in this tournament, which will put them well ahead of Canada for some time to come, almost certainly including for next year's May 2011 WCQ ranking. Trinidad and Tobago's poor results in this tournament will put them behind Canada for December, and subject of course to what happens over the next five months, I am currently projecting them to be about 60 points behind Canada as of May 2011. So that's some hopeful news.

Update: Grenada will still be behind us as of next month. Despite their decent performance in this year's Caribbean Cup, their decent results from the 2008 Caribbean Cup are now weighted less, so they will actually lose points. For the May 2011 rankings, though, they're currently only 30 points behind Canada, so the (likely very few) results over the next few months may be very important.

Shouldn't their points from 2008 be devalued? Cuba had 2 wins in December 2008 that should be devalued.

Shouldn't their points from 2008 be devalued? Cuba had 2 wins in December 2008 that should be devalued.

Yes they would be devalued, though for the month that counts as "December 2008" for the December 2010 rankings, I see Cuba winning only one game (against Antigua & Barbuda -- not exactly a lot of points there) and losing three others. Those older results are outweighed by the past month's games: two wins and two draws (and the loss to Guadeloupe doesn't count for FIFA rankings).

Yes they would be devalued, though for the month that counts as "December 2008" for the December 2010 rankings, I see Cuba winning only one game (against Antigua & Barbuda -- not exactly a lot of points there) and losing three others. Those older results are outweighed by the past month's games: two wins and two draws (and the loss to Guadeloupe doesn't count for FIFA rankings).

Ah.

12/06/2010

Hehe... I have to say I quickly clicked the link then browsed CONCACAF's website for a couple of minutes to be sure it was a joke :D

Cuba and Jamaica set to rocket through the rankings.

FIFA Ranking: December 2010 final preview.

Archived