2010 Caribbean Cup

tarnado1555362291

Qualifying Group Stage One is complete with group winners (Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Guyana, Dominica) and two best second place teams (Saint Vincent and Suriname) moving on to Qualifying Group Stage Two. The 3 groups are set to take place in Grenada, Trinidad and Antigua this October and November.

Qualifying Group Stage Two

The 2nd through 7th ranked teams from the 2008 tournament are automatically qualified for this round: Antigua and Barbuda, Cuba, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, and Trinidad and Tobago. The three group winners along with the three second-place teams will qualify for the Final Tournament.

Group E

Played in Grenada from October 22–26.

TEAM GP PTS

Guadeloupe 3 9

Grenada 3 6

Saint Kitts and Nevis 3 3

Puerto Rico 3 0

RESULTS & FIXTURES

22 Oct

Saint Kitts and Nevis [1 – 2] Guadeloupe

Grenada [3 – 1] Puerto Rico

24 Oct

Guadeloupe [3 - 2] Puerto Rico

Grenada [2 - 0] Saint Kitts and Nevis

26 Oct

Puerto Rico [0 - 1] Saint Kitts and Nevis

Grenada [0 - 3] Guadeloupe

Group F

Played in Trinidad and Tobago from November 2–6.

TEAM GP PTS

Trinidad and Tobago 3 9

Guyana 3 4

Haiti 3 4

Saint Vincent 3 0

RESULTS & FIXTURES

2 Nov

Haiti [0 - 0] Guyana

Trinidad and Tobago [6 - 2] Saint Vincent

4 Nov

Saint Vincent [1 - 3] Haiti

Trinidad and Tobago [2 - 1] Guyana

6 Nov

Guyana [2 - 0] Saint Vincent

Trinidad and Tobago [4 - 0] Haiti

Group G

Played in Antigua and Barbuda from November 10–14.

TEAM GP PTS

Cuba 3 5

Antigua and Barbuda 3 5

Suriname 3 4

Dominica 3 1

RESULTS & FIXTURES

10 Nov

Cuba [4 -2] Dominica

Antigua and Barbuda [2 -1] Suriname

12 Nov

Suriname [3 - 3] Cuba

Antigua and Barbuda [0 - 0] Dominica

14 Nov

Dominica [0 - 5] Suriname

Antigua and Barbuda [0 - 0] Cuba

*bold = team through to Final Round

Final Tournament

The final round will be contested in Martinique from November 26 – December 5. It will consist of two groups of four, and the top two teams from each group will progress to the semifinals. Jamaica and Martinique automatically qualified for the final group stage as title holder and host, respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Trinidad and Togago have booked their spot in the finals with wins over Saint Vincent (6-2) and Guyana (2-1).

The second birth from Group F will go to either Haiti or Guyana on the last match day. Guyana must win against St. Vincent and outscore Haiti by at least 3 goals to advance.

http://dcc.digicelfootball.com/en/news/50-dcc-match-31-trinidad-tobago-2-guyana-1

Final day of group G action on Sunday: despite thumping Dominica 5-0 and ending up with the best GF/GA in the group, Suriname fail to qualify for the final group stage. Cuba plays to a 0-0 draw with Antigua & Barbuda, and both of these teams advance.

Digicel Cup Finals “the World Cup for the Caribbean”

http://dcc.digicelfootball.com/en/news/62-digicel-cup-qualifiers-set-up-dramatic-finals

Tuesday, November 16th 2010 – Kingston, Jamaica: The qualification phase – stage one and two – of the Digicel Caribbean Cup came to a close on Sunday marking a break in the tournament before the final kick off on November 26th in host country, Martinique.

So far, a total of 39 matches have been played, 143 goals conceded, an average of 4750 spectators per match and a record-breaking win for the Dominican Republic with 17-0 against the British Virgin Islands.

However, even 17 goals were not enough to see them through. In fact, of the eight teams that are now through to the finals, only one team – Guyana – have come through from stage one. The Golden Jaguars faced seven Caribbean sides – topping Group C in Suriname and coming second place behind hosts Trinidad & Tobago in Group F. Overall, they have won five of seven games, lost one and drew 0-0 against a disappointing Haiti. As a result, Guyana are now ranked number 86 in the FIFA world rankings – their highest position ever. In addition, the Golden Jaguars are ranked number two in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) rankings – beating Trinidad & Tobago.

Digicel Group Head of Sponsorship, Karl Donnelly, said; “We’ve witnessed some excellent displays of the beautiful game since the tournament kicked off in October. With that, many teams – such as Guyana – have jumped up the leader board in the CFU rankings as well as in the FIFA world rankings which is fantastic for the countries and the players themselves. I’m looking forward to seeing even more exciting football as we head into the final eight.”

Guyana will now face Guadeloupe, Antigua & Barbuda and current champions, Jamaica, in Group I which kicks off on Saturday, November 27th 2010. Guadeloupe head into the final stage with an unbeaten record from Group E, having defeated Grenada 3-0, Puerto Rico 3-2 and St. Kitts & Nevis 2-1. Two 0-0 draws against Cuba and Dominica and a 2-1 win over Suriname were enough to put Antigua & Barbuda through following an exciting Group G held in the Antigua Recreation Grounds in St. John’s.

Hosts, Martinique, take on Grenada, Cuba and former champions Trinidad & Tobago in Group H. It is 11 years since the Soca Warriors were Caribbean champions and their unbeaten run in Group F means they are one to watch for the title this year. Latapy’s side thrashed Haiti 4-0, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 6-2 and Guyana 2-1 in the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium. Grenada and Cuba both enjoyed a solid progression from their respective Groups E and G.

The winners and runners-up of Groups H and I will go forward to play in the semi-finals on Friday, December 3rd in the Pierre Aliker Stadium in Martinique. The Champions of the Digicel Caribbean Cup 2010 will be decided when the final takes place on Sunday, December 5th – also in the Pierre Aliker Stadium.

The final matches will be aired live on free to air TV and radio while Groups H and I will be aired on a delayed basis. For more information, including live action and match reports as well as ways to win with Digicel, visit www.digicelfootball.com <http://www.digicelfootball.com> .

The full finals fixtures are as follows:

Group Date Time Venue Team A vs. Team B

FINAL STAGE

H 26/11/2010 18:00 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Trinidad & Tobago Cuba

H 26/11/2010 20:30 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Martinique Grenada

I 27/11/2010 17:00 Riviere Pilote Stadium Guyana Guadeloupe

I 27/11/2010 19:30 Riviere Pilote Stadium Jamaica Antigua & Barbuda

H 28/11/2010 16:00 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Grenada Trinidad & Tobago

H 28/11/2010 18:30 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Martinique Cuba

I 29/11/2010 18:00 Riviere Pilote Stadium Antigua & Barbuda Guyana

I 29/11/2010 20:30 Riviere Pilote Stadium Guadeloupe Jamaica

H 30/11/2010 18:00 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Cuba Grenada

H 30/11/2010 20:30 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Martinique Trinidad & Tobago

I 1/12/2010 18:45 Riviere Pilote Stadium Guadeloupe Antigua & Barbuda

I 1/12/2010 21:00 Riviere Pilote Stadium Guyana Jamaica

SF 1 3/12/2010 17:30 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Winner H Runner-up I

SF 2 3/12/2010 20:30 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Winner I Runner-up H

3rd Place 5/12/2010 16:00 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Loser SF 2 Loser SF 1

FINAL 5/12/2010 19:00 Pierre Aliker, Dillon Winner SF 1 Winner SR 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Cuba beating T&T is huge for them. That might just help push Cuba into the top 8 in CONCACAF (as of May 2011), with T&T falling out. The other result, Martinique drawing with Grenada isn't horrible for Canada, though it would have been nice to see Martinique win.

Group Matches and Standings

Group H

TEAM GP PTS

Cuba 3 7

Grenada 3 5

Trinidad* 3 3

Martinique* 3 1

Fixtures

Trinidad and Tobago [0 - 2] Cuba

Martinique [1 - 1] Grenada

Grenada [1 - 0] Trinidad and Tobago

Martinique [0 - 1] Cuba

Cuba [0 - 0] Grenada

Martinique [0 - 1] Trinidad and Tobago

Group I

TEAM GP PTS

Jamaica 3 9

Guadeloupe 3 4

Antigua* 3 3

Guyana* 3 1

* = team eliminated

bold = semifinalists

Fixtures

Guyana [1 - 1] Guadeloupe

Jamaica [3 - 1] Antigua and Barbuda

Antigua and Barbuda [1 - 0] Guyana

Guadeloupe [0 - 2] Jamaica

Guadeloupe [1 - 0] Antigua and Barbuda

Guyana [0 - 4] Jamaica

The other result, Martinique drawing with Grenada isn't horrible for Canada, though it would have been nice to see Martinique win.

The results against Martinique and Guadeloupe do not affect FIFA rankings as those French departments are not FIFA members.

The results against Martinique and Guadeloupe do not affect FIFA rankings as those French departments are not FIFA members.

Actually, I do realize that. Instead, I was hoping that Martinique & Guadeloupe would both advance, so as to "negate" as many games as possible from this whole tournament, and thereby reduce the opportunity for the other (FIFA) nations to rack up the ratings points. Canada doesn't get these types of games, so I really wish the other nations didn't either.

Instead, I was hoping that Martinique & Guadeloupe would both advance, so as to "negate" as many games as possible from this whole tournament, and thereby reduce the opportunity for the other (FIFA) nations to rack up the ratings points.

Ah, gotcha.

Guadeloupe 1-0 Antigua & Barbuda

Guyana 0-4 Jamaica

Jamaica 1st, Guadeloupe 2nd. That means it's Jamaica-Grenada and Cuba-Guadeloupe in the SF's. As long as Jamaica beats Grenada in regulation time and Cuba does not win the tournament (or lose in ET or shootout) we don't have to worry about Cuba and Grenada getting more points.

Semi-finals yesterday:

Cuba 1 - 2 Guadeloupe

Jamaica 2 - 1 Grenada

So non-FIFA entry Guadeloupe has a chance to win the Caribbean Championship. Unfortunately there is a 3rd place match, so either Cuba or Grenada will indeed pick up some more points.

Also, as it hasn't been mentioned explicitly in this thread, let me remind that this tournament serves as the qualifying for next summer's Gold Cup, and the four semifinalists mentioned here will be attending GC 2011. Trinidad & Tobago will not be at the Gold Cup next year. (Suck it, Jack.)

So the field now is

Canada

USA

Mexico

Cuba

Guadeloupe

Jamaica

Grenada

5 from Central America...

I feel like we really miss out by not having these tournaments... we should have a North American championship biannually between Canada, Mexico and the USA. A chance to pick up some more FIFA points!!!

Archived