FC Edmonton Roster 2011

jedinathan

Which would explain Mel telling everyone they did for a fair and resonable price. Even still, its a pretty sweet deal for FCE to be producing (and yes I know they didn't really produce Lam, just showcased him a little) such a desirable product. I'm also glad that they have Micheal Cox signed and no word of anyone trying to sign him.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall that Marcus Haber went to West Brom for about $100,000 on transfer. Matt Lam going to Japan for $200,000 on loan is either plain incorrect or Lodeweges doing his old team a favour and pulling the wool over the eyes of an idiotic board for a player he really, really wants.

I seem to recall that Marcus Haber went to West Brom for about $100,000 on transfer. Matt Lam going to Japan for $200,000 on loan is either plain incorrect or Lodeweges doing his old team a favour and pulling the wool over the eyes of an idiotic board for a player he really, really wants.

Matt Lam spent 2.5 years in the Ajax Academy, an academy which has been named by many as the best youth academy in the world. He was the first Canadian the academy had ever picked up. Following his 2.5 years at Ajax, he signed a year deal with Sheffield United before the deal fell through because of a development fee placed on Lam by AFC Ajax (transfer fees amounts are dependent on where the player is going - i.e. if the player goes to England where development** fees are high, Ajax can go by that jurisdictions fees, where as when the player goes to somewhere like Edmonton, where there are essentially no development fee, the fee is low... get it?). The transfer is a very reasonable fee given the player's background. It's a reliable source, and the money is actually not that much in comparison to the kind of money in the J-League. Do some reading on what kind of club JEF United is - they have a lot of $$$ laying around, and other than these past 2 seasons, JEF united has spent their other 62 years in J1 (JEF was founded in 1946). They recently dropped down to J2, which is likely why they're spending the money on bringing in a new type of soccer to the team - dutch soccer. Dutch coaches brought in, Sander Van Gessel brought in and Matthew Lam. Lam is of dutch dessent (half dutch, half chinese) and spent 2.5 years of youth development at the most famous dutch club. Given his history and the kind of money thrown around for other Ajax academy players/Sheffield United players, the loan money is actually not that much. Do you now understand how Dwight was able to "pull the wool over the eyes of an idiotic board" and get this money for this player?

I think the question we should be asking is: Why has the Canadian team been overlooking a player that spent 2.5 years at Ajax and 1 year at Sheffield United? There's obviously something that Dutch coaches see in this player that Canadian coaches can't seem to pick up. This post really isn't intended to be rude by the way - I agree that this was an amazing deal for FCE, and unheard of for a D2 team that has yet to play a league game (although I'd argue that a game against Colo-Colo is probably a good test for a player...by the way, I watched the game and Lam beat 2 defenders and drew a free-kick outside the 18 yard box that resulted in the first goal. Not long after, he took a long ball, beat his defender again and then scored a ripper with his left foot from 30 yards out for the second goal. The final result was a 4-3 win by Colo-Colo). I just want to make sure people are forming their opinions on this player based on the right information. If you can't tell, I'm a fan and hope to be able to follow his career in Japan.

I also found Lam's profile on JEF United's website: Matthew Lam JEF United profile

**make sure you make the difference between development fees and a loan transfer fee when reading my post.

So let me get this straight

A second division J League 2 payed $200k for a 6 month loan for an unproven 21 year old Canuck who hasn't played a pro game? Nice hahaha

Edmonton took that deal and ran with it, they must have thought someone was pulling their leg. The dutch boys must have really rated Lam for them to say something to their new owners who then dish out that cash for a LOAN!?

See above for details on this "unproven 21 year old Canuck who hasn't played a pro game". I'm also not sure where you're getting this "6 month" timeframe from. As per my post #64, it's a one year deal. The J-league season is March to December.

Despite the Ajax background, I am also pretty sceptical about the $200 000 fee. There are a lot of 21 year old former Ajax academy players who are never going to command a $200 000 transfer and are playing in lower level leagues now. I suspect if the $200 000 fee is true it is the fee agreed upon if JEF wants to permanently transfer him. In other words they are paying a minimal fee for the loan (which is why the Edmonton owner is saying they are not getting paid much for losing him this year) but if he does well for JEF and they want to buy him outright they have to pay a more significant price. I certainly hope he does well and establishes himself in Japan and FCE gets a decent fee for him but I doubt JEF would just pay that much money outright for someone who has yet to play a professional game and is not that young in terms of potential.

Despite the Ajax background, I am also pretty sceptical about the $200 000 fee. There are a lot of 21 year old former Ajax academy players who are never going to command a $200 000 transfer and are playing in lower level leagues now. I suspect if the $200 000 fee is true it is the fee agreed upon if JEF wants to permanently transfer him. In other words they are paying a minimal fee for the loan (which is why the Edmonton owner is saying they are not getting paid much for losing him this year) but if he does well for JEF and they want to buy him outright they have to pay a more significant price. I certainly hope he does well and establishes himself in Japan and FCE gets a decent fee for him but I doubt JEF would just pay that much money outright for someone who has yet to play a professional game and is not that young in terms of potential.

I suppose we're all free to be skeptical. The amount stated is high, but I know for a fact the transfer fee itself is in the 6 figures. I am aware of how loan deals work and do in fact know the difference between a loan fee and a transfer fee. If I didn't have the source I do, I would likely be as skeptical as everyone else. It'll be interesting to see what people say if JEF does in fact decide to purchase the player at the end of the season and the numbers are released. Like I said - my source is reliable (maybe accurate is better word), but you're free to believe whatever you would like.

I don't want to sound like I'm badmouthing Matt Lam. He seems like a pretty good player from what little I've seen of him. That's just a lot of money by Canadian standards; possibly (probably?) the Canadian team transfer record.

sutton to TFC was six figures I believe.

Pesch from Toronto Blizzards to Birmingham City was 400,000 Euros and Harmse from VWFC to Tromsø IL was 700,000, for a Canadian player. Don't forget a Canadian team (TFC) sold Edu to Rangers for 4 mil.

Are you sure about Harmse? According to his wiki profile he was drafted by Vancouver but never signed with them before joining Tromso in which case he should have been a free transfer. 700 000 seems way out of line for a player of Harmse's technical abilities even if he was a lot younger then.

Also I think the 400 000 was pounds paid by Stoke City to Birmingham for Pesch. I think he moved from the Blizzard for 25 000 pounds.

Incorrect - I've heard figures for the loan fee, a transfer fee AND a sell-on fee, meaning FC Edmonton has put all 3 in the contract.

My bad dude, transfer fee, not sell-on, although it's better to have all three in, for sure.

Does his contract expire at the end of the season? Because two of the three are moot if he goes on a Bosman.

My bad dude, transfer fee, not sell-on, although it's better to have all three in, for sure.

Does his contract expire at the end of the season? Because two of the three are moot if he goes on a Bosman.

I believe his contract expires at the end of this year... I am not certain, but I think FCE does have an option on his contract. That's just word-of-mouth though so I can't confirm the source.

Archived