CSA vice-president criticizes MLS over new domestic content regulations

BringBackTheBlizzard

So where is TFC's designated territory, the GTA? Downtown Toronto?

Within 80 km of BMO Field apparently:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Prospects+settle+residency/3629896/story.html

But geography played a part, too.

For Major League Soccer, Toronto FC has an exclusive recruiting territory within an 80-kilometre radius of its home stadium, BMO Field. Kitchener is around 100 kilometres from there.

A little further east on the 401 and Alderson would be with TFC's academy.

My only question is would MLS really use metric units? Suspect it's really 50 miles.

Now back to more ranting and raving about having to rigidly legislate something that will almost certainly be happening anyway given the commitment being shown to elite youth development.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not about the long term objective of creating a deep pool of Canadian players, it is a short term matter of fielding competitive teams in commercially stable clubs for the next season or two or three. Live with it for a few years and enjoy watching the three Canadian MLS clubs build a strong foundation, by then MLS will have taken another step in its evolution and the rules will be changed again.

I still want the CSA to fight for Canadians to have equal rights as "domestic" players in the USA but I have to say you are probably right here Richard. Besides, MLS is not even the most important step in a Canadian players development. Divisions 2 and 3 are more important right now with MLS as a goal for most players; a realistic spot to aim for playing professionally.

Archived