CSA vice-president criticizes MLS over new domestic content regulations

BringBackTheBlizzard

With three clubs .. in MLS .. all we really need is five Canadian players per club to be on the starting 11, if we cannot do that .. without quotas its not going to change a thing for Canada internationally. If we can have up to six Div 2 teams playing in NASL with the same five each on the starting 11, it gives a domestic pool of 45 players... and perhaps some 20 to 30 others in other country leagues at whatever level to choose a National team from.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I can tell neither Gabe Gala nor Nana Attakora have played a millisecond for TFC Academy - in fact, I believe they were both signed straight to MLS professional contracts in the club's first year, no? (Besides, Gala will be out of a job when the Canadian quota dies anyway.)

Doesn't really alter the point but it's worth saying.

Both Gala and Nana came through the reserve team. Academy? reserve team? two played in the MLS reserve league, the others (Lindsey and Henry) played in CSL. Point is, all four were developed by TFC under their hired coaches.

but this is an American-based enterprise afterall and the Cdn clubs are not businesses themselves, but branch plants of a US-based entity.

QUOTE]

Does anybody know that that is the case? What about the NHL or NBA. If you sue these organization, you can sue them in canada. They are legal entities in Canada. is the MLS any different? I dont think so.

Canadian clubs are a partner in this league. So what makes it an american league? Nothing. No different than Mcdonalds restaurants.

Nana Attakora, Gabe Gala, Doneil Henry and Nicholas Lindsay. All four are playing professionally and have pro contract in MLS. Four years, four profesional players developed for MLS. Thats not bad by any standard. How many players in MLS are there right now that have come through the whitecaps academy?

2 in Bundesliga 2

0 in MLS

oh but wait, EIGHT in USSFD2

wait for next year...

Does anybody know that that is the case? What about the NHL or NBA. If you sue these organization, you can sue them in canada. They are legal entities in Canada. is the MLS any different? I dont think so.

Canadian clubs are a partner in this league. So what makes it an american league? Nothing. No different than Mcdonalds restaurants.

From what i understand; MLS as a single entity essentially owns each of the clubs and the I/O's are running them for the league and profiting from the operations. When an expansion fee is paid you're not paying for the club, you're becoming a shareholder in an enterprise - the league. Now, MLS does operate in Canada so maybe you can sue them for certain things like choking on a hot dog at the game, but for unfair labour practices? They're not restricting Canadian labour in Canada so i'm not sure what could be argued. It would be like any other American company with branches all across the US and a few in Canada, with their Canadian plants they'll hire both Canadians and Americans (subject to Canadian law) and in the US they'll be limited by US gov't labour restrictions (ie. no Canadians unless they can prove they are better than a domestic worker). It's up to the CSA to act as a National body with Canadian interests at stake the way the Cdn gov't does with regular labour.

Difference with the NBA and NHL clubs are the franchises are owned by the people who run them ie. MLSE, MSG, Jerry Buss etc.

He plays in the 4th division with the Cottbus reserves.

Yes he is not a B2 player. Hopefully he will be in the near future but there is no way you can claim he is one now. The Caps academy has done a good job of development so far but much of that was under Niendorf. We will have to see if that continues under the current coaches.

Shessh...who ever thought DoyleG would be right.

Funny, I was going to post something along the lines of... "Didn't Gordon predict this five years ago?" ...but maybe it was DoyleG.

I don't understand the response about the academies. If there is no requirement to play Canadians at the first team level, then it's all moot - they can graduate Uruguayans and Jamaicans alongside Canadians and it won't matter a lick. We can only cross our fingers that they develop local talent that actually ends up playing for us.

Is it the CSA's job to do something about this? Yes. Are they in any position to do so? Of course not. Let's stop pointing the finger at the CSA and pretending that they actually have a sound-enough footing to over-rule this decision. What are they going to do, suspend their licenses? Yes clubs have to look out for their best interests but this is a betrayal of trust on their part. There are some very suspect posts here attempting to shift and disperse the blame for a terrible decision simply because the posters know that their clubs may benefit from this on the field.

I never truly thought they'd pull this on us. Without the reciprocal treatment of Canadians on American teams this is terrible.

In order for DoyleG to be right the three Canadian MLS teams would have to have no players on their roster with no Canadians being produced at all, since he predicted the death of Canadian soccer and posted a tombstone on bigsoccer Toronto got an MLS team. When that day happens, let me know, but I wouldn't hold your breath in the process.

I don't think much will change with the domestic content for the Canadian teams - virtually nothing de facto changes for TFC that's for sure. What mainly changes is that Canadian players are now at a disadvantage in what is supposed to be (and recognized by the CSA as) our top professional soccer league, which is something they should never have allowed.

Funny, I was going to post something along the lines of... "Didn't Gordon predict this five years ago?" ...but maybe it was DoyleG.

I don't understand the response about the academies. If there is no requirement to play Canadians at the first team level, then it's all moot - they can graduate Uruguayans and Jamaicans alongside Canadians and it won't matter a lick.

Is it the CSA's job to do something about this? Yes. Are they in any position to do so? Of course not. Let's stop pointing the finger at the CSA and pretending that they actually have a sound-enough footing to over-rule this decision. Yes clubs have to look out for their best interests but this is a betrayal of trust on their part. B&WA your post is a laughable attempt to shift the blame for a terrible decision simply because you know your club will benefit from it.

I never truly thought they'd pull this on us. Without the reciprocal treatment of Canadians on American teams this is terrible.

To add to this; what is preventing the Canadian clubs from treating their Academies as after thoughts now that there is likely less emphasis on developing local players? Will player development still be so valuable that vast amounts of money need to be redirected into the Academy or will costs be cut and the Academies will resemble some of their lesser MLS brethren (Houston, Kansas City, New England etc.)

In order for DoyleG to be right the three Canadian MLS teams would have to have no players on their roster with no Canadians being produced at all, since he predicted the death of Canadian soccer and posted a tombstone on bigsoccer Toronto got an MLS team. When that day happens, let me know, but I wouldn't hold your breath in the process.

Come on G-L, be fair.

The suggestion at the time was that the MLS would create a rule that actively discriminates against Canadians (by counting Yanks as domestics for Cdn teams, but not the other way around.)

And pretty much all of us, pro-MLS and anti-MLS posters alike, laughed that out of the park as irrational and unrealistic, myself included.

The problem with constant naysayers is that they only have to be right once. Let's hope that his "once" lasts for only a limited time.

I don't think much will change with the domestic content for the Canadian teams - virtually nothing de facto changes for TFC that's for sure.

I don't think so either. But of the current batch of Canadians on MLS, who would have still been signed had the existing rules not been in place? DeRo. Anyone else? Why bring De Guz or Cann back from Europe? Would Attakora or Gala have even seen the field?

Jpg75 has a point. The age-old argument is that it's cheaper for big clubs to develop talent in-house, but considering the current state/level-of-play of the league it's likely the other way around for now.

FIFA fought for the quota system because the clubs of Italy and other continental nations (where nationalism/racism runs strong) were being hurt by clubs from England who were fielding the best players in the world.

lol, wouldn't it have been easier to say Italian and Spanish teams, minus Inter, can win European competitions through fielding a majority of domestic players while English teams have to rely on a majority of foreigners?

Shessh...who ever thought DoyleG would be right.

He isn't right.

To add to this; what is preventing the Canadian clubs from treating their Academies as after thoughts now that there is likely less emphasis on developing local players? Will player development still be so valuable that vast amounts of money need to be redirected into the Academy or will costs be cut and the Academies will resemble some of their lesser MLS brethren (Houston, Kansas City, New England etc.)

All clubs seem to be committed to developing local talent. I don't think any of the three clubs are going to take developing local players any less seriously now. It would be bad business otherwise for a couple reasons:

1) Marketing: Canadian players will make the fans feel more attached to local players. This isn't the EPL, if there wasn't some vested Canadian interest, people will just turn away and watch the European stuff on tv.

2) Performance: Having a homegrown squad will play better than any mash up of foreigners. Again, this isn't the EPL. Having a squad full of foreigners will likely just result in a disjointed mess like TFC in year one.

3) Revenue: Teams can generate quite a bit by developing good local players.

Don't get me wrong, I think these rules are unfair, but I'm not getting too worked up over it.

How pathetic are we? I mean seriously. Think about it for one second. If there is one shred of truth to this as yet unannounced policy change just how pathetic are we?

There are a hundred different ways you can approach the cost and cultural issues related to recruiting Canadian players for Canadian MLS based franchises. Hundreds of different ways with a league that has already shown a willingness to be flexible on the issue but eliminating the domestic requirements for only the Canadian franchises is not one of them. No way.

The businesses which chose to get into bed with MLS should have been well aware of the difficulties they'd face in the area of player recruitment (ie staffing) long, long before they got anywhere close to signing on with this enterprise and if they weren't then they're stupid and stupid people pay the price for being stupid.

The CSA has to forget the talk. Mouthing off is nothing, nothing. They need to get in contact with MLS HQ, the Vancouver AssCaps management, and the clowns over at Toronto Fu'k Club and tell them to lawyer up fast because the CSA will fight this decision at the federal level, the provincial level and in the arena of public opinion. Because it's complete bull****. An MLS corporate policy which clearly discriminates against Canadians within the corporation's shared labour markets.

Oh, and Duz.... fu'k you and fu'k the Mo Johnston you rode in on.

Archived